Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flashback: Refereeing decisions prove crucial in defeat

+2
boltonbonce
karlypants
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mention the name Barry Knight to a Wanderers fan and it will almost certainly be met with a scowl but most likely something stronger.

The former Kent official made himself a lifelong enemy of the town of Bolton for his performance in the decisive leg of the 2000 play-off semi-final against Ipswich Town at Portman Road. Knight sent off Mike Whitlow and Robbie Elliott that night, and awarded three penalties to Ipswich as they won the game 5-3 to reach the final.

Sam Allardyce and Gudni Bergsson were later censured by the Football Association for their comments after the game and Knight never again officiated at a game involving Wanderers.

Speaking to FourFourTwo magazine several years later, Allardyce had still not forgiven Knight for his abysmal display that night.

“Bordering on criminal, that was,” he said. “Do I still hold a grudge? Oh yes, you never forget the worst refereeing performance in the history of football. “Two red cards, three penalties and 10 booked, yet Ipswich didn’t have one booking.

“When I was hauled in front of a tribunal for what I’d said on TV, I presented an edited video for my defence and you could see how embarrassed the tribunal was by his performance. Barry Knight lost it, completely lost it.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

KP,you've just ruined my day. I have 'Knightmares' about this bastard. I'm still not really over that game. Watched it on youtube again recently and it's still shocking. He was due to ref us against Villa at home some years ago under BSA,and he declined the job on police advice!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was a shit ref, made some bad decisions, but the team were completely unprofessional that night.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We should have walked off that night, we were stitched up by that bald bastard. If that happened with United playing all hell would have let loose something sinister happened that night.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton fans remember this night with rose tinted specs. The players completely lost their heads in the second half - yes the ref was shite, but he wasn't helped by some plainly ridiculous tackles.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Whitlow sending off was a joke.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

whatever happened to Johannson?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Finished his career back in Denmark I think.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

This was a bad night all round. For us, for the ref and for the game. Nat has a point about our behaviour, we were shocking but frankly the ref lost the plot which made an already bad situation worse. That not one Ipswich player was booked was ridiculous when we had ten yellow cards. I think even the most biased Ipswich fan would agree that the ref was massively unbalanced in how he approached the match and although we frankly let ourselves down badly it was Mr Knight who added fuel to that fire with his failure to use anything close to an even handed approach. 

It's little wonder he never officiated at one of our matches again and little wonder Big Sam hates the guy.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Knight was shocking,but I can remember a few that came close to him in incompetence. My own particular 'favourite' was Maurice Fussey. What a prong!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum