Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ream happy with clean sheet

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ream happy with clean sheet Empty Ream happy with clean sheet Wed Mar 12 2014, 13:07

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tim Ream believes Bolton Wanderers’ recent defensive showings have given the whole squad a lift heading into the final months of the season.

A 0-0 draw on the road against promotion-chasing Derby County saw the Trotters extend their recent unbeaten run to five matches.

And while the game may have been short of goals, Ream revealed the Whites were happy to secure another clean sheet and claim an equal share of the points against one of the Championship’s leading sides.

“It was different to the last three wins that we’ve had, but you expect that when you come on the road and play a team like Derby,” Ream told bwfc.co.uk after the match.

“It was never going to be a pretty game and I think most of the guys are pretty happy with a clean sheet and walking away with a point.

“Keeping clean sheets is something we have struggled with all year long, so to have kept three in our last four matches is just brilliant.

“It gives the entire team a boost and a lift and it gives them assurance that they can go forward and get goals and that we’ll shut the door at the back.” 

Having seen the Rams taste defeat in their last two matches, the Bolton backline needed to be at their very best to prevent a Derby response.

Fully aware of the stern test that Steve McClaren’s side would provide, the American was pleased to see the Bolton defence pass with flying colours.

“Derby were always going to put a little extra into it, especially after coming off after Saturday against Millwall and getting hit in the gut at the end of the match,” Ream said.

“They came out flying and it was just a matter of weathering the storm in the first half, and then getting a bit more from us in the second half.

“Unfortunately we still did not break through, but we will take a clean sheet and point on the road any day.” 

Having lined up at left back in recent weeks, Ream was restored to the centre against Derby County.

And while he admitted the change in role had kept him on his toes, the 26-year-old was happy with his overall performance, revealing he is happy to play wherever Dougie Freedman needs him.

Ream admitted: “It was strange moving back into the middle after playing at left back for so long, but it is one of those where I am happy to be playing wherever it may be.

“It was a little bit of an adjustment for me in the first 10-15 minutes, the manager knows that, but I settled in and did a fairly decent job manning the back.”

Source

2Ream happy with clean sheet Empty Re: Ream happy with clean sheet Wed Mar 12 2014, 16:08

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Tim, I admire your spirit but the problem in your statement is simply this. Last night we didn't GET forward at all. We sat back and let Derby run at us all night because the manager set us up in a system we already know doesn't work. 

I would have been happy with a point before the game but frankly the WAY we got it was truly appalling and only very good luck and some fine work from Bogdan stopped us from losing two or three nil at least.

3Ream happy with clean sheet Empty Re: Ream happy with clean sheet Wed Mar 12 2014, 16:17

You must have been watching a different game to me LPP. I can't think of one clear cut opportunity Derby had so to say we could easily have lost 3-0 is an exaggeration. Had they nicked a goal we couldn't have had too many complaints, but it was a good, organised defensive display and we improved second half. We didn't break well enough all game but on the couple of occasions we did we looked a threat. Last night was tailor made for Beckford to come on
but it seems he's still eating for fitness.

4Ream happy with clean sheet Empty Re: Ream happy with clean sheet Wed Mar 12 2014, 16:35

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:You must have been watching a different game to me LPP. I can't think of one clear cut opportunity Derby had so to say we could easily have lost 3-0 is an exaggeration. Had they nicked a goal we couldn't have had too many complaints, but it was a good, organised defensive display and we improved second half. We didn't break well enough all game but on the couple of occasions we did we looked a threat. Last night was tailor made for Beckford to come on
but it seems he's still eating for fitness.
We differ in our opinions then mate but in my personal view we should never have changed the team or approach. Derby are in something of a slump at the moment while we had an eleven brimming with confidence after tonking Leeds at Elland Road. 

I am at a loss as to why Dougie felt the need to mess with what was clearly a winning formula producing the best performances we've seen all season. When a team is on a roll like we were then you should manage by leaving it alone rather than manage by making unnecessary changes that seem to suggest he wanted to be seen to be doing something when it was more sensible not to.

Before the game I said I'd be happy with a point which of course we got but I'm very unhappy with how we got it.

5Ream happy with clean sheet Empty Re: Ream happy with clean sheet Wed Mar 12 2014, 17:14

I've said all along I wouldn't have changed it. But you must see the logic behind doing so, whether or not you'd agree with it and do you really think we could have lost 3-0 last night?

6Ream happy with clean sheet Empty Re: Ream happy with clean sheet Thu Mar 13 2014, 00:30

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

After our recent displays,Derby's current lack of confidence and the fact that there was bugger all to lose(we're not going down) we should have had a right go at Derby last night and tried to keep the momentum of the team going. Instead Tinkerman reverts to type and parks the bus. It doesn't bode well for the future at all in my opinion.

7Ream happy with clean sheet Empty Re: Ream happy with clean sheet Thu Mar 13 2014, 08:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Tim, I admire your spirit but the problem in your statement is simply this. Last night we didn't GET forward at all. We sat back and let Derby run at us all night because the manager set us up in a system we already know doesn't work. 

I would have been happy with a point before the game but frankly the WAY we got it was truly appalling and only very good luck and some fine work from Bogdan stopped us from losing two or three nil at least.

Did we sat back or were we pushed back by a strong Derby team that exploited our lack of width in midfield? 
My understanding was that our starting line up was the same diamond with 2 up top as in the last 3 games except Moritz was playing slightly deeper then Mason had (not sure that was his intention as Dougie would have wanted him to get up as much as possible but if you're pushed back you've no choice)
No doubt Dougie tried to pack the midfield to remedy the problem second half, abandoning the diamond, but I think Derby took the game to us from the off and we were forced back rather than intentionally sitting back.
Certainly sounded as if Derby played around us by going wide from the off with Jamie Ward being a particular threat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum