Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Orwell was right.

+4
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
karlypants
boltonbonce
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Orwell was right. Empty Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 20:11

I'm watching a programme on telly about some US Marines in Afghanistan and it's just showed 'em searching a compound and one of 'em had a tablet-type thingy with a camera on it and a finger print scanner.

Basically, they're creating a database of everybody they come across, including women and kids, by scanning their details.

These people haven't done anything wrong and aren't even suspected of having committed any crimes. (For "compound" read village.)

That makes me feel a bit uncomfortable for want of a better word.

Anybody else?

2Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 20:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Edward Snowden probably did us all a favour. At least we've got an idea of what the devious bastards are up to.

3Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 20:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What's happened to that identity card thing they were supposed to be bringing in that would have cost millions?

Did it finally get scrapped?

4Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 20:52

I don't trust any of 'em nowadays.

The world's shrinking and not in a good way......

5Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 20:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

If they've not done anything wrong then they have nothing to fear from being known to the system via finger prints, DNA and eye recognition means.

:bomb: 

Orwell was right. 180px-Big_Brother_UK_2_logo

6Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 21:06

I nearly bit then.......

7Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 21:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If everyone in the world was in some sort of DNA database the world would be a much safer place.

The only people against this sort of thing are the folk upto no good.

8Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 21:58

...and again.

9Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 22:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:...and again.

Why would you have any objection to being on a database so you could always be identified immediately? What possible downside is there for a law abiding citizen?

10Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 22:06

My worry is when this google glass catches on, with the advances in facial recognition how long before everybody's personal record is instantly accessible just by looking at them?

11Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 22:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Winston Smith.... The ministry of Truth.......historical revisionism......   affraid

12Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 22:16

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Reading 1-7 Bolton.

13Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Thu Apr 03 2014, 22:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Orwell was right. Thumbs-up

14Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Fri Apr 04 2014, 11:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:...and again.

What possible downside is there for a law abiding citizen?
So you trust the CIA, the police, the various government departments, the anti-terrorist squad, UK security services etc.?
And you think the system would be secure from hackers etc? And the government have a bit of a track record for losing data on public transport.
I'm not convinced.
Data is data even if it's data about my iris and I'm not sure I'd like it to turn up in certain places and then used as "irrefutable" proof I was there.

15Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Fri Apr 04 2014, 12:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
So you trust the CIA, the police, the various government departments, the anti-terrorist squad, UK security services etc.?

Yes, of course I do. You watch too many films if you think the CIA drag upper class businesswomen out of their penthouses in the middle of the night, fit them with an orange jumpsuit, and fly them to Cuba.

The simple fact is if everyone was on a DNA database crime would be halved overnight.

16Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Fri Apr 04 2014, 12:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Yes, of course I do. You watch too many films if you think the CIA drag upper class businesswomen out of their penthouses in the middle of the night, fit them with an orange jumpsuit, and fly them to Cuba.

The simple fact is if everyone was on a DNA database crime would be halved overnight.
And what about your iris data that's sold to the highest bidder after some Westminster underling leaves his laptop on the 2.15 tube to Kensington Green?

17Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Fri Apr 04 2014, 12:08

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
And what about your iris data that's sold to the highest bidder after some Westminster underling leaves his laptop on the 2.15 tube to Kensington Green?

Shit will happen as Dougie said at Reading. But overall a national DNA database is a great idea. I can only assume by your reluctance to embrace the idea that you shag horses in your spare time.

18Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Fri Apr 04 2014, 12:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Shit will happen as Dougie said at Reading. But overall a national DNA database is a great idea. I can only assume by your reluctance to embrace the idea that you shag horses in your spare time.
Obviously.
Is it illegal?

19Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Sat Apr 05 2014, 18:20

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

wanderlust wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Obviously.
Is it illegal?

It is, and they now have a record of your DNA  Very Happy

20Orwell was right. Empty Re: Orwell was right. Sat Apr 05 2014, 18:23

Ooh!

That's not a sample I would have liked to retrieve......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum