Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arsenal v Wigan

+12
largehat
trotter1948
Harold77
Angry Dad
Reebok Trotter
jayjay23
Hipster_Nebula
doffcocker
Quent
Natasha Whittam
Spillthebeans
Sluffy
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 10:43

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

trotter1948 wrote:
largehat wrote:I love it how Wigan are being made out to be Holland circa 1974 and their manager a footballing genius on the back of a few good results. Nobody was coming out with any of this bollocks when they lost nine games in a row earlier in the season. Why do you think they've been rooted to the bottom third of the PL for about four years in a row? Bad refereeing decisions?

I don thtink people are gsuhing and making out theyre Halland circa 1974

Its simply they have shown some fighting spirit and have had their rewards

Earlier in theh season they couldnt buy a goal

Their top 3 players were misfiring and now sem to have come into a bit of form

Wish we had their strikers instead of ngog etc

The Holland thing was a bit of hyperbole on my part admittedly. I do think we have shown some fighting spirit in the last 6-7 games too as it happens.

32Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:I love it how Wigan are being made out to be Holland circa 1974 and their manager a footballing genius on the back of a few good results. Nobody was coming out with any of this bollocks when they lost nine games in a row earlier in the season. Why do you think they've been rooted to the bottom third of the PL for about four years in a row? Bad refereeing decisions?

So teams can't progress from being shit to pretty good? Isn't this what a manager is supposed to do?

No one is saying they are Brazil, but you have to credit their manager. Not only has he a limited budget he also faces the difficulty of attracting players to Wigan.

But most of all he has moulded together a good team who can all play a bit, without spending millions.

When did Bolton last beat Arsenal on their own patch? When did we last beat United? When were we last actually in a game with Chelsea?

Just admit it Largehat, Martinez is twice the manager Coyle is.

33Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:23

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Martinez has put together a good team, they matched Arsenal pass for pass last night. That Moses bloke looks a steal, wish we had pace like that. It puts the panic buy that was David Ngog into context.

34Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:33

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Just admit it Largehat, Martinez is twice the manager Coyle is.

If you can cast your mind back about 12-15 months, Coyle was getting similar plaudits to the ones Martinez is getting now. Fans of clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool were talking about taking him off us. He was the darling of the media.

Coyle and Martinez are both young managers of fairly average ability with room for development and a passion for their clubs. Neither should be judged on the basis of a few games, when you consider they have both been in management for several years.

35Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:45

trotter1948

trotter1948
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

What I would say about Martinez is that he far more consistent in his style of football he gets his team to play.
He is very much the same now as when he was at Swansea.
He has been in Management since February 2007 till now
Even after he left Swansea they seemed to carry on his style and dare I say it they still much the same even under different management.
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Unlike our lot who seem to make it as they go along.
I will wait for the tirade to follow

36Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

If you can cast your mind back about 12-15 months, Coyle was getting similar plaudits to the ones Martinez is getting now. Fans of clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool were talking about taking him off us. He was the darling of the media.

But we were beating the likes of Wolves and Villa, Wigan are playing at a higher level than that. Just accept it LH, right now Martinez is showing Coyle how it's done.

37Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:47

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There won't be a tirade from me, except to say that Brendan Rodgers has rebuilt Swansea City from the ground up, and probably deserves the majority of the credit for where they are today, not Martinez.

38Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

trotter1948 wrote:What I would say about Martinez is that he far more consistent in his style of football he gets his team to play.
He is very much the same now as when he was at Swansea.
He has been in Management since February 2007 till now
Even after he left Swansea they seemed to carry on his style and dare I say it they still much the same even under different management.
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Unlike our lot who seem to make it as they go along.
I will wait for the tirade to follow

There's no tirade to follow, you are correct in what you say. We shouldn't forget the loyalty aspect either. Martinez was offered the Villa job last Summer, a massive club compared to Wigan with a few quid to spend. He stopped at Wigan. What a boost for the players and fans.

If Coyle was offered the Villa job tomorrow he'd jump this sinking ship quicker than you can say 'fanny'.

39Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:50

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

But we were beating the likes of Wolves and Villa, Wigan are playing at a higher level than that. Just accept it LH, right now Martinez is showing Coyle how it's done.

I was talking about the media and the football community's attitude towards Coyle 12-15 months ago, not my own. Martinez is flavour of the month at the moment, but his track record as a whole is the important issue.

If you want me to "just accept" that Martinez is having a fantastic April, then that's obvious, so yes I accept that. Who was manager of the month in March, remind me?

40Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

If you want me to "just accept" that Martinez is having a fantastic April, then that's obvious, so yes I accept that. Who was manager of the month in March, remind me?

Coyle got the sympathy vote in March. I'd hardly call wins over Rovers, QPR & Wolves in the same league as winning at Arsenal.

41Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 12:01

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Coyle got the sympathy vote in March. I'd hardly call wins over Rovers, QPR & Wolves in the same league as winning at Arsenal.

I'm just making the point that you're getting wet knickers over Martinez' last few games, but in all your suggestions on who should be the manager at BWFC, and you've made plenty of those, his name has never come up.

So you're just using Martinez' very recent success as a stick to beat Coyle with, who hasn't done too badly himself recently. Manager of the Month for March and 20 points from the last 16 games, mid table form. But you'd undo all that for a dream team of John McGinlay and Fabian de Freitas or some other such nonsense combo.

42Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 12:03

trotter1948

trotter1948
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

As an aside !!!
Do you lot do any work or are you retired or is this from work?

43Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 12:30

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Coyle deserved it for March, we won 3 'must win games', id rather win those than 3 against the top teams at this end of the season. I can't believe you still won't give the team any credit for those wins, they were vital and we won them, you keep going on that they are poor teams (QPR arnt btw), well so are we.. so beating them isn't a walk over.

Btw im in no way discrediting Martinez' last month, its remarkable and should save them and I do belive hes a great manager. But to use their beating of Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd as a benchmark for Coyle is not fair.

44Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 12:54

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Makes you wonder why Martinez isn't being touted for the England job.

45Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 12:55

Harold77

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

trotter1948 wrote:As an aside !!!
Do you lot do any work or are you retired or is this from work?

I'm off sick on 20k a week and the company I work for are up shit creek because they can only afford to pay 5k a week for my replacement.

46Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 13:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Harold77 wrote:
I'm off sick on 20k a week and the company I work for are up shit creek because they can only afford to pay 5k a week for my replacement.

Harold, you seem quite angry. Is there a reason?

47Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 13:29

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Wigan were immense last night, even at 2-1 the way they knocked the ball about was a joy to behold and not be negative but for me if Wigan continue like that until the end of the season the last relegation place is between us and QPR.

I haven't read any of this thread but if it's been brought up then fair enough, but never in a million years would we have hung on to 2-1 last night. After they got a goal back we would have collapsed IMO.

Credit to martinez even when they were struggling he didn't change his football style and stook to his guns.

48Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 13:33

Harold77

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Harold77 wrote:

Harold, you seem quite angry. Is there a reason?

Costcutting since Megson's trash big money signings is going to see Bolton relegated.QPR will win their home games and that will be enough for them.Bolton have gone.We've still got big money shit like Knight available but not good enough for the team.The stench of Megson is still overpowering.

49Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 13:34

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Don't know if I agree with that aaron, this season we have not lost a game in which we scored first(well I cant think of one), Liverpool got back to 2-1 with most of the game left but we sealed that.

But yeh still credit to Wigan, got to say I though Arsenal would get another after that one but they held them off.

50Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue Apr 17 2012, 13:35

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Harold77 wrote:

We've still got big money shit like Knight available but not good enough for the team.The stench of Megson is still overpowering.

I could not agree more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum