Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ched Evans

+27
boltonbonce
luckyPeterpiper
gloswhite
finlaymcdanger
Chairmanda
Sluffy
White84
Keegan
karlypants
rammywhite
Numpty 28723
Reebok Trotter
bwfc71
Soul Kitchen
Michael Bolton
Mr Magoo
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
Bolton Nuts
Bwfc1958
B.D.P
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
Norpig
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
aaron_bwfc
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

121Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Tue Oct 06 2015, 11:19

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:Let's be honest. Ched Evans might be a fooking tugboat but this conviction has been iffy from the start. I don't understand how there can be two men in a room with a woman, both have sex with her, both claim it was consensual but one ends up in prison and the other gets off scot-free.
The only way I can understand how this verdict was reached is the following scenario...the woman gets drunk, meets footballer A (can't remember his name) and agrees to go to his room where they have sex and she either drinks more or passes out before Ched Evans arrives and has sex with her when she was no longer in a state she could give informed consent. I am making no comment about the rights or wrongs of the case, but can only see this as the way the jury made their decision.

122Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Tue Oct 06 2015, 11:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

According to the "official" evidence the girl couldn't remember a single thing about what happened in the room. Both Evans and Clayton McDonald (the other footballing ponce) stated that the girl happily agreed to sex with both men.

Don't get me wrong it's a sordid tale of stupid young men, but I can see why it's being reviewed.

123Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Tue Oct 06 2015, 11:50

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:According to the "official" evidence the girl couldn't remember a single thing about what happened in the room. Both Evans and Clayton McDonald (the other footballing ponce) stated that the girl happily agreed to sex with both men.

Don't get me wrong it's a sordid tale of stupid young men, but I can see why it's being reviewed.

I agree Nat, though I struggle given that as the official evidence, how did the jury figure one was guilty and one was not? Think its good its being reviewed, though this must be causing all those involved much angst. One night of stupidity has had such a profound negative effect on so many

124Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Tue Oct 06 2015, 11:53

Very hard to judge without seeing the evidence, best case for Evans he's still a slimy cunt, worst case he's a slimy cunt rapist.

Interesting to see what happens at appeal anyway.

125Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Tue Oct 06 2015, 14:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I bet the victim was horrified when she was told his review was successful and Evans was free to appeal. The initial conviction for rape ameliorated criticisms about her own drunken and lewd behaviour and she's had so much (qualified) sympathy since the event that it could turn nasty for her if Evans is acquitted. She may even get imprisoned herself for perverting the course of justice or falsifying evidence.

126Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Tue Oct 06 2015, 14:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was more concerned that she was caught urinating in a shop doorway.

127Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Wed Oct 07 2015, 00:44

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'll bet there are quite a few clubs lying in wait, ready to snap him up if he is acquitted. Lennon?

128Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 14:07

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Conviction quashed!

Footballer Ched Evans has had his conviction for rape quashed at the Court of Appeal in London, but will face a new trial.

The ex-Wales international was jailed in 2012 for raping a 19-year-old at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

The former Sheffield United, Manchester City and Norwich player was released from jail in October 2014 after serving half of his five-year term.

Mr Evans, 27, has always denied raping the woman.

Speaking outside court Mr Evans's solicitor Shaun Draycott said: "Ched Evans is extremely grateful that the court of appeal has ruled that his conviction for rape was unsafe and should be quashed."

The striker's case was referred to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), which investigates possible miscarriages of justice in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, after new evidence emerged.

Lady Justice Hallett, Mr Justice Flaux and Sir David Maddison heard submissions over two days from Kieran Vaughan QC, for Mr Evans, and from Eleanor Laws QC, for the Crown.

Announcing the court's decision, Lady Justice Hallett said the judges heard "fresh evidence" during the appeal hearing on 22 and 23 March.

She said: "In summary, we have concluded that we must allow the appeal and that it is in the interests of justice to order a retrial."

The court quashed Mr Evans's conviction and declared: "The appellant will be retried on the allegation of rape."

Mr Evans and former Port Vale player Clayton McDonald admitted having sex with the woman on 30 May 2011, but said it was consensual.

Mr McDonald was acquitted of rape at their trial at Caernarfon Crown Court.

Mr Evans has not been signed by a new club since his release from prison.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36099522

129Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 14:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i still think no one will sign him with a retrial to come, look at the mess Sunderland got in with Johnson

130Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 14:39

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Well done Nat. You've always said the case wasn't right, and that we shouldn't condemn him out of hand.

131Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 14:54

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hasn't he got really big ears!

132Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:30

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm not sure he will be re-tried. I suspect the Crown Prosecution Service may well decide that there isn't sufficient likelihood of a conviction for a re-trial to be in the public interest. If as the judge said there is new, admissible evidence that wasn't available at the first trial that makes his conviction 'unsafe' then I can honestly see the CPS deciding to drop the whole thing. 

My brother is a barrister and he told me years ago that as a practical matter it's very hard to re-try someone once an appeal has quashed a conviction, especially one that has had a lot of publicity surrounding it. Only under the most extraordinary circumstances where the CPS believes they have a real chance of gaining a conviction again will a re-trial proceed. I suspect that this case will see the CPS asking for the judge to dismiss it on the grounds there is insufficient evidence to secure a safe conviction. 

I have to say Nat was right from the start. My own initial reaction was to bang him up till doomsday and that he should never be allowed to play professional football again but given what I've read and seen since plus this morning's events I have to admit I was wrong. Whether or not he'll ever be able to play in this country again is another matter though. Given how much stick he's likely to take from the terraces here I suspect he may find playing abroad (eg China, USA or Qatar) to be better for him.

133Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Hasn't he got really big ears!

:facepalm:

KP: always gets right to the heart of the issue.

134Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:34

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Well done Nat. You've always said the case wasn't right, and that we shouldn't condemn him out of hand.

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I have to say Nat was right from the start.

I hope Ched Evans is aware I got him off.

135Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:41

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I hope Ched Evans is aware I got him off.

By "getting him off", I'm assuming you mean when he watches your subscription only webcasts where you lie on your bed and stick random household objects up various holes, whilst moaning and saying "Ooh, yeah baby! That's so good"...?

136Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:45

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:Hasn't he got really big ears!

:facepalm:

KP: always gets right to the heart of the issue.
Very Happy

137Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As I understand it, the conviction wasn't quashed but was deemed unsafe.
Therefore he still faces the charges - it's just that the judge ruled that his last court case wasn't up to scratch.
Therefore he still stands accused and will have to face retrial providing, as LPP mentioned, the CPS wants to go ahead - same as in any case.
As things stand, he's on a charge.

Glad the judge saw sense because going off what appeared in the public domain it did look a dubious conviction.

138Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
By "getting him off", I'm assuming you mean when he watches your subscription only webcasts where you lie on your bed and stick random household objects up various holes, whilst moaning and saying "Ooh, yeah baby! That's so good"...?

Glad you were watching. 10pm Friday for more of the same.

139Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 17:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought the pool table triangle was a bit disappointing.

140Ched Evans - Page 7 Empty Re: Ched Evans Thu Apr 21 2016, 17:18

Sorry, can't make this Friday.

I've run out of Luncheon Vouchers and won't receive my next allowance until Monday.

Unless you're happy to take Nectar Points again?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum