Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Matt Mills delivers stinging riposte to the doubters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Matt Mills believes a clean sheet on his return to the side against Brighton was the perfect riposte to his critics and now he wants a repeat performance against former club Reading tonight.

The skipper was under the spotlight last week after his red card at Nottingham Forest less than 90 minutes into his comeback from a knee injury with boss Neil Lennon revealing he had spoken with the centre-back about his ill-discipline at the City Ground.

But a defiant Mills says he answered any questions in the right manner at the weekend and vows to continue proving himself if he has to in order to stay at the club beyond the expiration of his current contract in the summer.

Mills said: “The manager had a word, pushed me really hard in training and a few people have questioned me.

“The only way I can answer it is to try and perform, try to keep a clean sheet, the fear of failure is something that keeps me up at night.

“Maybe it was me taking it a bit personally but I felt maybe I was lynched up a little bit for the results. If I have to take that, fair enough.

“I said to the manager I made a mistake but if I get a chance to come back in I’ll put it right. This was the first opportunity and we got a clean sheet and a win.

“I feel like I’ve been fairly consistent all season. You can call it a mistake, or whatever. But the last week shows the mental side of football that sometimes people don’t see – maybe I needed it?

“I tried to get my head down and thankfully I was given the opportunity to go again.

“A few games ago people were saying ‘when are you going to sign?’

“Then I was out for three weeks, played 45 minutes and made one of my first mistakes of the season and then all of a sudden it was ‘I’ve got to prove myself all over again.’

“That’s football. Hopefully I’ve answered a few questions and going forward that’s what I have to do.

“People who are not in football have short memories and that’s what drives you on to go out and perform.

“I do want to stay here. My family have settled here.

“When I first came to the club I didn’t have a particularly great time but the last two years have been fantastic. I’m enjoying my football.”

A clash against Reading is always a special one for former Royals skipper Mills and tonight will be no different.

But the centre-back is fully focused on another home win for Wanderers.

He added: “It seems to be a big game every time I play them.

“Being there and being captain, taking them to the play-offs, then when I came here I faced them the first game after my daughter was born and now I’m back in the team and all this has happened – it’s always an occasion.

“It’ll only be a good occasion if we win it, simple as that.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum