Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

+10
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
Norpig
rammywhite
scottjames30
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
boltonbonce
Numpty 28723
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:24

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:
Norpig wrote:There is no God no matter what Nat thinks  Very Happy
Just because you don't think there is a God, doesn't mean there isn't a God
Prove there is a god Scott!
I can't prove it, but I just know there is.

I prayed to him and he answered me.

32Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:27

Quantum fluctuation, Rammy.

The theory (and short answer) is they just pop into existence for a million, millionth of a second and then disappear again.

If they collide, they fuse forming very basic atoms and stick around.

As Sluffy says, Hydrogen and Helium are the simplest atoms (hence why they're at the top left corner of the Periodic Table), so that's why they're the most abundant in the universe.

If I'm honest, I don't really understand it myself but it seems more plausible than some God bloke creating everything.

33Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
I don't really understand it myself but it seems more plausible creating everything.

How can you say something you don't understand is plausible?

34Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:30

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Oh listen to Twinkle knickers

35Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was kidnapped by aliens in 1978.
I lived on their home planet with them for two years,during which time I learned all about their history.
I've never mentioned it before for fear of being ridiculed.
They were startling to look at,having no nose,but a large mouth. I'll show you a picture one day.
The CIA keep close tabs on me. As does Mrs Crawshaw from over the road.

36Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
I think I'm right in saying it was Laurence Kraus who has suggested that "nothing" in space terms isn't what you would generally think of as "nothing" 

I don't know who said it, it may have been the person you mention but they are correct.

There was a clip on an Horizon programme I watched once on this very point.

Nothing actually doesn't mean absolutely nothing at all.

Take for instance a vacuum which space is, light can travel through it, gravity can pass through it, a space probe can - so even nothing is greater than nothing if you see what I mean.

Einstein also says time is the fourth dimension - spacetime he calls it, so time can exist in 'nothing' too.

In fact 'nothing' as we 'know it' exists at all!

To be honest we are just playing, we actually know precious little about how things work - Einstein's come up with his ideas of how the big things work - but we know it doesn't have an answer to everything.

We also have developed quantum physics to deal with how very small things work but again we don't understand it all - and the most intriguing bit at the moment is that Einstein's theory and Quantum do not match - they don't go together - something big is still missing in our understanding of even basic stuff.

There are wonderful discovery's still to be made.

That's why any civilisation that has figured them out will never get caught coming to Earth in their little spaceships - they don't need to they are so far advanced of us we could never comprehend them, nor they find anything remotely of interest in us.

Similarly it is why God could not exist in my opinion. To be in all places at all times means that he would have to be everywhere throughout the history of time, stretched over unimaginable distances, dealing with countless stars, planets, beings and things throughout the universe to worry whether you me or the dog next door will be going to heaven or not.

That's the way I see it anyway.

37Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:02

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:
I don't really understand it myself but it seems more plausible creating everything.

How can you say something you don't understand is plausible?

I don't really understand the tax laws in this country but I'm still subject to them, so I assume they exist.

38Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Sluffy did the discovery about gravity and space the other day mean they are closer to working our how the big bang actually happened?

Yes they believe they are.

I don't really understand why though but it goes something like this.

When we first looked at the stars and tried to understand them we could only see what we did with our eyes.

But light is made up of more than the 'visible' bit we can see, there are things we can not see such as x-rays, microwaves, radio waves, and infra red waves that are part of it too.

When astronomers started to look at the universe in those different mediums they discovered new things which added to our understanding of how things worked.

The existence of gravitational waves opens a new chapter of astronomy and one that it is believed can take our understanding back to just after the birth of the universe at the 'big bank' stage.

Some clever people will one day discover wonderful things with this form of new way of seeing things - hope I'm still around to find out what they discover.

39Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:07

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:
rammywhite wrote:Where did all that gas and the star come from?

The stars came from the gas collapsing in on itself until they self combusted.

The gas came from the sub-atomic particles - such as the protons and neutrons (the smallest particles thought to be possible) forming into atoms and creating elements - the most basic of which being Hydrogen and Helium.

aren't protons and neutrons made up of smaller sub-atomic particles called quarks?

40Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I read somewhere that travelling at 'warp speed' as in Star Trek,would one day be possible.
You'd be able to travel light years in an instant.

41Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:17

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
karlypants wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
rammywhite wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
rammywhite wrote:Where did all that gas and the star come from?

The stars came from the gas collapsing in on itself until they self combusted.

The gas came from the sub-atomic particles - such as the protons and neutrons (the smallest particles thought to be possible) forming into atoms and creating elements - the most basic of which being Hydrogen and Helium.

You know what's coming next......where did the sub atomic particles come from?

They've always been there - otherwise everything - me, you, space itself could never exist.

Unless of course God created them and if so who created him/her?

But it can't have always been there, It must have come from somewhere.

This is what I can't get my head around, in fact all of it to be honest.

If there wasn't all these universes etc then what would there be?

I don't think we know enough about our planted and space, universes etc.

I think I'm right in saying it was Laurence Kraus who has suggested that "nothing" in space terms isn't what you would generally think of as "nothing" 

But you're right we know absolutely nothing about almost everything, thats the beauty of asking questions. It's those who pretend to know everything that are the most dangerous.

Think they have also worked out recently that the mass of our galaxy does not account for all the gravitational forces, and that has led to the theory of dark matter, think this is the nothing that isn't actually nothing but is really something.

42Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:39

boltonbonce wrote:I read somewhere that travelling at 'warp speed' as in Star Trek,would one day be possible.
You'd be able to travel light years in an instant.

I've read that too but the big obstacle is apparently going to be avoiding crashing into planets and stuff because you can't make course corrections whilst "at warp" because it's a bit of an all or nothing concept - you hit that button and you're gone. In a straight line.

So whilst the theory is fine, the practical application is probably always going to be too difficult to master.

Shame.

43Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:43

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

According to the theory,you simply 'bend space' until your destination meets the starting point.
Two dots at either end of a sheet of paper will come together if you fold the paper in half. 
A simplification of course,but you get the idea.

44Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:47

Yeah, I get that but the thing I read (which I can't bloody find now!) said that everything between the two dots is potentially still there, so it's not as simple as instantaneously plopping from one dot to the other because there's (potentially) still stuff in the way.

I may have misunderstood it and it may have been written by a 12 year old kid who was talking out of his arse because it was on the web, afterall, but that was the impression I got.

45Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:52

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Space is scary.Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Spock

46Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:55

I think you'll find that space is, in fact, ace:

47Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:57

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

All I know as a conspiracy theorist is that Wallace and Gromit never landed on the moon.

We all know that the moon is made out of Stilton and not Wensleydale.

48Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 21:01

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sorry Sluffy. We've arrived at Frank Sidebottom.

49Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 21:03

It was inevitable.

50Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 21:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I suppose so. Could have been worse of course.

You know the score.Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Page 3 Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum