Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Is Cinema Dead?

Is Cinema Dead?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 11:18

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@okocha wrote:Some films with sweeping landscapes and wonderful cinematography benefit from the big screen. Lawrence of Arabia springs to mind, and the Merchant Ivory films.

Watching Zulu on the big screen was another example - all lined up on top of the hill with their spears and shields ready to charge - I can still picture it now.

32Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 12:31

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Breadman wrote:Game of Thrones is shit.

There......I've said it.

(I know that's not the point you were making, Doff but I had to say it - overrated bollocks and half its audience of gawky teenage boys wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't full of shagging.)

You're way off here Bread The books are fascinating the TV adaptation is pretty good, granted the books are complex but the guy always surprises you and is not worried about killing off major characters.

33Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 12:33

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
No Cinema isn't dead otherwise they wouldn't take billions at the box office, is it over priced yes and the add on's are expensive, but comfortable viewing I do love a good film and enjoy the cinema, the Tuesday / Wednesday offers are very good value.

34Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 12:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@wessy wrote:
Breadman wrote:Game of Thrones is shit.

There......I've said it.

(I know that's not the point you were making, Doff but I had to say it - overrated bollocks and half its audience of gawky teenage boys wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't full of shagging.)

You're way off here Bread The books are fascinating the TV adaptation is pretty good, granted the books are complex but the guy always surprises you and is not worried about killing off major characters.Have to agree with Bread. 

Have to agree with Bread. Almost as bad as Harry Potter.

35Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 13:06

Guest


Guest
I received the first Game of Thrones book as a present from my sister about five years ago because her (then) husband was a fan and he recommended it because she'd told him I'd read Lord of The Rings as a teenager.

I tried to read it, I honestly did but it was gash.

Formulaic, derivative dross written by someone who thinks that just because you've created a shit load of characters who come from massively extended families, it'd be interesting to the reader.

Lord of The Rings was hard going at times but this tripe was just painful.

I managed about 200 pages but didn't have a clue who anybody was or what was going on.

And the whole George "R R" Martin thing always struck me as an all too desperate attempt to cash in, if I'm honest.

I know I'm in a minority but sorry, not for me.

36Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 17:29

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:
@doffcocker wrote:Box sets are taking over.

How many people do you hear now talking about the latest big film on at the pictures?

And how many people never stop going on about Game of Thrones and stuff like that?

Half of my boxsets have cost me less than one visit to the cinema would, so you can see why it's usually empty down there.

This.

I haven't touched a box set in years since the advent of streaming, always thought they were a thing of the past honestly.

37Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 17:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I haven't touched a box set in years since the advent of streaming, always thought they were a thing of the past honestly.

What a condescending bellend.

Streaming and downloading is for mugs. Your investment is worthless the minute you get it.

Give me a physical CD/DVD any day of the week. I like to touch things.

38Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 19:24

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
i do use Netflix and one of those dodgy movie tube websites sometimes but you can't beat actually having the CD or box set.

39Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 20:06

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
@boltonbonce wrote:The last time I went to the pictures it was to see 'Hatari' starring John Wayne,and that was in the sixties,at the Unit4 Walkden.
A mate of mine was trying to find some photos of the unit4 but couldn't find any anywhere. Don't suppose you have any Bonce?

40Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 20:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Used to be here mate,but I can't find many pictures from its heyday.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/5597/photos/103473

41Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 20:16

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
That's the only picture he could find as well unfortunately.

42Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 20:19

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I haven't touched a box set in years since the advent of streaming, always thought they were a thing of the past honestly.

What a condescending bellend.

Streaming and downloading is for mugs. Your investment is worthless the minute you get it.

Give me a physical CD/DVD any day of the week. I like to touch things.

I have absolutely loads of DVD's and I'm sad enough to even buy duplicates of the same film when a new version comes out.

but like I said I haven't bought a TV box set for many a year.

43Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 20:49

Guest


Guest
Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Large


Impressive, non...?

44Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 20:56

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Breadman wrote:Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Large


Impressive, non...?

Is that the pictures in walkden?

45Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 21:01

Guest


Guest
Yes.

46Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 21:13

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Many times I sneaked in there in my youth, we'd go in as a gang of eight or nine, buy five tickets then charge on mass throw the tickets towards the usher a grab a seat.

Happy days.

47Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 21:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Large

48Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 21:35

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@Fabians Right Peg wrote:
Last film I saw was the Revenant was carp. :nopoints:

Turns out to be the main Bafta winner, Fab.. Not that that necessarily means anything!
 I think somewhere later on you say the plot is ludicrous, unbelievable, but it seems that it is a true story.... probably exaggerated for effect!

Anyway that's the third Bafta for the director, Inarritu, and about the same number if not more for the cinematographer, Lubezki, so they must be doing something right.....

49Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 21:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I haven't touched a box set in years since the advent of streaming, always thought they were a thing of the past honestly.

What a condescending bellend.

Streaming and downloading is for mugs. Your investment is worthless the minute you get it.

Give me a physical CD/DVD any day of the week. I like to touch things.

I have absolutely loads of DVD's and I'm sad enough to even buy duplicates of the same film when a new version comes out.

but like I said I haven't bought a TV box set for many a year.
Just bought the complete CHEERS. 43 DVD's £24.99.  Bargain. Amazon.

50Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 21:44

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@okocha wrote:
@Fabians Right Peg wrote:
Last film I saw was the Revenant was carp. :nopoints:

Turns out to be the main Bafta winner, Fab.. Not that that necessarily means anything!
 I think somewhere later on you say the plot is ludicrous, unbelievable, but it seems that it is a true story.... probably exaggerated for effect!

Anyway that's the third Bafta for the director, Inarritu, and about the same number if not more for the cinematographer, Lubezki, so they must be doing something right.....


Yep that's what got me, I thought it was a true story suspect they started with a true story, then jazzed it up and went a bit over the top, the bit when he turns into Han Solo using his horse as a replacement tonton after plummeting over a cliff was just a step too far for me.

51Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Tue Feb 16 2016, 23:48

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:Times change. In my day an organ came up in front of the screen,

They banned me in the end.

There's a cinema near me which still has an organ and intervals

http://elland.nm-cinemas.co.uk/information/history-of-the-cinema-a1132.html

52Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 00:32

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Dead and buried. I don't go any more because people simply don't know how to behave in public and have zero respect for others. I can't bear listening to disrespectful assholes who don't silence their phones, talk through the movie, eat like pigs, laugh uncontrollably at shit that isn't funny, put their feet on seats in front of them, keep changing seats like its musical fucking chairs etc. etc. Long gone are the days when the worst that could happen was the a 7ft. giant would sit down right in front of you just as the movie starts.

53Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 06:10

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Fabians Right Peg wrote:Many times I sneaked in there in my youth, we'd go in as a gang of eight or nine, buy five tickets then charge on mass throw the tickets towards the usher a grab a seat.

Happy days.
Never had you down as a thug Johnny.

54Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 08:35

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Loved this from your post above, Fab (no.50):-

 "....... went a bit over the top, ....... after plummeting over a cliff ........."         Great stuff! Very Happy

55Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 11:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@okocha wrote:Some films with sweeping landscapes and wonderful cinematography benefit from the big screen. Lawrence of Arabia springs to mind, and the Merchant Ivory films.


Ben Hur and the Ten Commandments are prime examples.

56Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 11:56

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Large
I remember watching Babe at the cinema in Pilsworth when Bolton didn't have one at the time. Very Happy

57Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 12:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Large

58Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 14:21

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@scottjames30 wrote:
@Fabians Right Peg wrote:Many times I sneaked in there in my youth, we'd go in as a gang of eight or nine, buy five tickets then charge on mass throw the tickets towards the usher a grab a seat.

Happy days.
Never had you down as a thug Johnny.

Not Johnny, willing to take a lie detector if necessary, although after time it should be apparent.

59Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 15:38

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm Fabians Right Peg wrote:
@scottjames30 wrote:
@Fabians Right Peg wrote:Many times I sneaked in there in my youth, we'd go in as a gang of eight or nine, buy five tickets then charge on mass throw the tickets towards the usher a grab a seat.

Happy days.
Never had you down as a thug Johnny.

Not Johnny, willing to take a lie detector if necessary, although after time it should be apparent.
I'll ring Jeremy Kyle.

60Is Cinema Dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? on Wed Feb 17 2016, 15:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
lets stop trying to scare off Fabian please lads, we don't get many new faces willing to post on here as it is.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum