Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Town and District » Your childhood memories of bolton town centre

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy, are you from the Cloggs era? Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
thanks Sluffy, it looks so different to now, i've seen pictures of when you could drive past the town hall but was before my time. I remember Boydells and the Army & Navy store though

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@whatsgoingon wrote:
@Norpig wrote:you missed out on the golden era Boggers, Friday and Saturday night down Bradshawgate, every pub rammed and then off to Ritzys, Central Park or for me, Pink Panthers, Happy days  Very Happy
used to be a set route that everyone followed because you used to bump into the same people in every pub. We used to start in the Man & Scythe, over to the Brass Cat, round to Swannies across to Yates's for an Aussie White and then Maxims then Ritzy's. Went to Sundowners as well which was a dive but you always pulled in there.
 we did similar but i think it must be a town thing because in Manchester people tend to stay in one place and not move on very often.
When i first started seeing the wife (she's a Manc) she couldn't believe it was one drink then move on  Very Happy

Never heard of Sundowners, where was that?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@karlypants wrote:Sluffy, are you from the Cloggs era? Very Happy

When I was little there was an old woman who lived on the same street as me who wore clogs and a shawl, Mrs Whittle I think her name was.  

My mam used to send me up to her house every so often to see if she wanted me to bring her anything from the corner shop in the next street.

I also remember that she always gave the kids in the street cups of black peas and treacle toffee on bonfire night.

True story - so yes I guess I am, just about.



Last edited by Sluffy on Thu Jul 21 2016, 15:36; edited 1 time in total

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@Norpig wrote:
@whatsgoingon wrote:
@Norpig wrote:you missed out on the golden era Boggers, Friday and Saturday night down Bradshawgate, every pub rammed and then off to Ritzys, Central Park or for me, Pink Panthers, Happy days  Very Happy
used to be a set route that everyone followed because you used to bump into the same people in every pub. We used to start in the Man & Scythe, over to the Brass Cat, round to Swannies across to Yates's for an Aussie White and then Maxims then Ritzy's. Went to Sundowners as well which was a dive but you always pulled in there.
 we did similar but i think it must be a town thing because in Manchester people tend to stay in one place and not move on very often.
When i first started seeing the wife (she's a Manc) she couldn't believe it was one drink then move on  Very Happy

Never heard of Sundowners, where was that?
Back Street behind Newport Street it was the Bus Inn prior to that, I'm sure half the women in there were hookers

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@whatsgoingon wrote:
@Norpig wrote:you missed out on the golden era Boggers, Friday and Saturday night down Bradshawgate, every pub rammed and then off to Ritzys, Central Park or for me, Pink Panthers, Happy days  Very Happy
used to be a set route that everyone followed because you used to bump into the same people in every pub. We used to start in the Man & Scythe, over to the Brass Cat, round to Swannies across to Yates's for an Aussie White and then Maxims then Ritzy's. Went to Sundowners as well which was a dive but you always pulled in there.

Now it's, start in hogarths, the. Man n scythe if you fancy a thatchers, over to Yates, possibly dragon fly/C2 then off to courtneys to pull the best looking bird you can find

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'd not been out in Bolton for years until about a year ago and i was amazed how quiet it was on Bradshawgate, Hogarths was busy but the rest of town was dead which is a shame as i've had many great nights out in Bolton town centre over the years

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
anyone used to go to the kids versions of the Dance Factory and Ritzy's? We used to buy a bottle of Strongbow each and drink it in Queens Park before trying to act sober and get in  Very Happy

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
@Norpig wrote:anyone used to go to the kids versions of the Dance Factory and Ritzy's? We used to buy a bottle of Strongbow each and drink it in Queens Park before trying to act sober and get in  Very Happy

We used to drop opened bottles of Poppers on the floor at the Dance Factory. Not when there were any kids there of course! Had some good times (and fights) in there.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
used to spend a lot of time in here playing 5 a side, badminton and squash on occasion, everyone recognise it?

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4972358

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Was that in Silverwell street?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:Was that in Silverwell street?
 spot on Bouncey  bounce

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Very Happy

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
I remember when  you coudn't buy a pizza or kebab in Bolton.

Aristotle's restaurant  and The Golden Lion were  the height of sophistication.

The Beachcomber was the place to be seen.

Guest


Guest
@Norpig wrote:used to spend a lot of time in here playing 5 a side, badminton and squash on occasion, everyone recognise it?

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4972358
Used to play table tennis there every Wednesday. The guy that taught us must have been in his 90's

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@Norpig wrote:used to spend a lot of time in here playing 5 a side, badminton and squash on occasion, everyone recognise it?

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4972358

I played 5-a-side there as well and also watched Bolton's basketball team (The Hawks) when they had their one and only season in the National League -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983%E2%80%9384_National_Basketball_League_season

I used to also go underage drinking at near by Wood Street snooker club and play at Bolton Chess club also on Wood Street.

Happy days.

Banks of the Croal


Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Don't remember going into Town much until i was a teenager, we had quite a few of what we called 
The Flicks, Picture Houses out of Town. The Carlton aka The Mount on Mount st. Halliwell, The Palladium, Higher Bridge st. The Crompton on Crompton Way next to The Castle Pub, they were only cheap about a Tanner at most Very Happy .

Also one of my favourite places  Moss st. Baths, Sluffy and a few of the other Oldtimers should remember that place.

The Town Centre was for later when i could hold my Drink Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@Banks of the Croal wrote:Don't remember going into Town much until i was a teenager, we had quite a few of what we called 
The Flicks, Picture Houses out of Town. The Carlton aka The Mount on Mount st. Halliwell, The Palladium, Higher Bridge st. The Crompton on Crompton Way next to The Castle Pub, they were only cheap about a Tanner at most Very Happy .

Also one of my favourite places  Moss st. Baths, Sluffy and a few of the other Oldtimers should remember that place.

The Town Centre was for later when i could hold my Drink Very Happy

I do indeed.

Every Sunday morning when I was little my father used to take me and my older brother (who could swim) to Moss Street. Although they spent a lot of time trying to teach me I was simply could not get the hang of it.

It wasn't helped much when at junior school we had to go once a week to Whitecroft Road School to use their swimming pool, and the swimming teacher at that time used to make us line up by height at the edge of the pool and jump in.

Being on the tall side for my age meant me lining up along the deep end and I guess the thinking back then was that kids would either sink or swim!

I was petrified of having to do this and twisted myself in mid jump to try and catch hold of the wall the best I could on my way down.

The funny thing is though not once did it ever enter my mind to refuse - no one ever said no to the teacher back then.

I eventually learned to swim in the first year of my secondary school at Bridgeman Street baths and have loved swimming ever since.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Barb Dwyer wrote:
@Norpig wrote:used to spend a lot of time in here playing 5 a side, badminton and squash on occasion, everyone recognise it?

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4972358
Used to play table tennis there every Wednesday. The guy that taught us must have been in his 90's

Was it Bonce?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Banks of the Croal wrote:Don't remember going into Town much until i was a teenager, we had quite a few of what we called 
The Flicks, Picture Houses out of Town. The Carlton aka The Mount on Mount st. Halliwell, The Palladium, Higher Bridge st. The Crompton on Crompton Way next to The Castle Pub, they were only cheap about a Tanner at most Very Happy .

Also one of my favourite places  Moss st. Baths, Sluffy and a few of the other Oldtimers should remember that place.

The Town Centre was for later when i could hold my Drink Very Happy
 i grew up in Halliwell and went to Moss St Baths all the time, it would have been the late 70's and early 80's. By that time it was a bit of a dump

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Boggersbelief wrote:
Barb Dwyer wrote:
@Norpig wrote:used to spend a lot of time in here playing 5 a side, badminton and squash on occasion, everyone recognise it?

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4972358
Used to play table tennis there every Wednesday. The guy that taught us must have been in his 90's

Was it Bonce?
Razz

Banks of the Croal


Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
It was never Posh  Very Happy

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4481869

My early days were spent up the bottom end of Halliwell/School Hill area, we had lot of family round there, I can remember a lot of Slum clearance and the building of Skagen Court, even that's long gone now.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@Banks of the Croal wrote:It was never Posh  Very Happy

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4481869

My early days were spent up the bottom end of Halliwell/School Hill area, we had lot of family round there, I can remember a lot of Slum clearance and the building of Skagen Court, even that's long gone now.

Not that far from me then.

I remember Skagen Court being built also - and all the sum clearance around those parts.

I lived a bit more Merehall way

Happy times.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Anyone else remember the Olympus Grill on Churchgate?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@bwfc71 wrote:Anyone else remember the Olympus Grill on Churchgate?

Of course we do.

Had my first taste of foods like moussaka and chicken chasseur in there.

Couldn't believe it when they went on to open a chippy!

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
For the older end, outside the Odeon was were you met for a first date, then it was the Navada or the Palais on a Saturday night. 
Newport street was shoe shop heaven and the arcade leading from the Octagon onto Newport street was quite posh with Cantors furniture store and no graffiti.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@wessy wrote:For the older end, outside the Odeon was were you met for a first date, then it was the Navada or the Palais on a Saturday night. 
Newport street was shoe shop heaven and the arcade leading from the Octagon onto Newport street was quite posh with Cantors furniture store and no graffiti.
Just after I left school I bumped into a girl I'd fancied at school for ages in the Nevada and ended up with her all night (in the Nevada not went home with).
On a Saturday we used to do the Saturday matinee at the odeon then over to the Nevada for the afternoon. If you were lucky you got to do the spotlight with someone

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
I hated the Nevada!

I couldn't skate and my mates used to love grabbing me and leaving me in the centre of the floor when the announcer asked for everyone to clear the dancefloor so that they could do some show or other.

They used to piss their sides laughing waiting for the 'bouncers' to come and wheel me off the floor whilst everybody else where laughing at me and one or two other poor bastards whose mates had done the same trick to them.

Another story about the Nevada was that I knew a girl who was having an affair with the organist there (Ron I think he was called?).

She was similar age to me and he must have been a good twenty years older than her.

I couldn't see the attraction for her at all?

She went on to marry a Bolton celebrity (who I best not mention by name) who was also considerably older than her too!

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 104_0_1424980266

Live and let live I guess!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I had a pint of that last night funnily enough. Very Happy

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@Sluffy wrote:I hated the Nevada!

I couldn't skate and my mates used to love grabbing me and leaving me in the centre of the floor when the announcer asked for everyone to clear the dancefloor so that they could do some show or other.

They used to piss their sides laughing waiting for the 'bouncers' to come and wheel me off the floor whilst everybody else where laughing at me and one or two other poor bastards whose mates had done the same trick to them.

Another story about the Nevada was that I knew a girl who was having an affair with the organist there (Ron I think he was called?).

She was similar age to me and he must have been a good twenty years older than her.

I couldn't see the attraction for her at all?

She went on to marry a Bolton celebrity (who I best not mention by name) who was also considerably older than her too!

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 104_0_1424980266

Live and let live I guess!
I just used to fly round as fast as I could and the sides or some poor bastard in the way were my brakes. It was hilarious watching people try and walk down the stairs from the bar pissed on skates

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum