Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ken Anderson reveals club's £4million injury bill

+3
Norpig
wanderlust
karlypants
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ken Anderson claims Wanderers have spent around £4million on the salaries of injured players this season.

The Whites chairman disclosed a major hit had been taken on the likes of Mark Davies, Darren Pratley and Dorian Dervite, which has contributed to the financial problems experienced at the Macron in the last few months.

Replacements have been sought to maintain a competitive squad and Wanderers remain in the market for a right-back to replace Lawrie Wilson, who could miss the rest of the season with a hamstring tendon tear.

“We have suffered both on and off the field this season with several of our ‘big hitter’ players being not available through season-long injuries,” Anderson said. “The financial cost of this to the club has been circa £4million.

“To put this in to perspective, the Premier League last week released an article on the cost of injured players to Premier League clubs and we would have ranked in the top 10 - something hopefully which we can avoid going forward.”

Anderson confirmed in December that 17 professional players were out of contract at the end of the season and that a concerted effort would be made to bring the wage structure back in line.

Jay Spearing, David Wheater and Gary Madine are among those who will be free agents in the summer but Anderson hinted attempts could be made to keep some of the top players on lower salaries.

“As has been well reported, at the end of the season, we will have a number of players whose contracts come to an end, which will enable us to renegotiate and also bring in a new batch of players on a more sustainable cost basis,” he said.

“Our budget this season, at circa £10m, is amongst the highest in Sky Bet League One and indeed the Championship, and it is imperative that going forward, we control our squad budget and work within a framework that is financially sustainable.”

A statement released by Anderson on the official website yesterday painted a bleak picture of the current financial climate, which will be expanded when accounts filed yesterday to Companies House hit the public domain.

At the heart of current difficulties lies a dispute between Anderson, fellow owner Dean Holdsworth and BluMarble – the company who supplied a loan to Holdsworth’s Sports Shield company buy the club in March last year.

Anderson maintains that the amount loaned was £4million but that guarantees were supplied for £5m, while Holdsworth maintains the £5m was loaned in full, with £1m used to pay-off fees associated with the takeover.

The lack of headway made in this battle could, in Anderson’s opinion, result in legal action.

“The biggest challenge of all will be reaching a solution with Blu Marble and Sports Shield which could, in my opinion, save us several millions of pounds, but this is likely to go to litigation and unfortunately, may take several years to finalise,” he said.

“For the record, I would also like to mention that I took no part in the original discussions with Blu Marble. Furthermore, the club does not have an agreement with Blu Marble; it has an agreement with Sports Shield and I am currently disputing the validity of this.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Money from the Clough sale won't even cover Mavies's holiday then?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the sooner we can get rid of the likes of Mavies, Dervite, Trotter and Amos off the books the better. Their wages alone would free up a large chunk of cash surely?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:Ken Anderson claims Wanderers have spent around £4million on the salaries of injured players this season.

The Whites chairman disclosed a major hit had been taken on the likes of Mark Davies, Darren Pratley and Dorian Dervite, which has contributed to the financial problems experienced at the Macron in the last few months.

Replacements have been sought to maintain a competitive squad and Wanderers remain in the market for a right-back to replace Lawrie Wilson, who could miss the rest of the season with a hamstring tendon tear.

“We have suffered both on and off the field this season with several of our ‘big hitter’ players being not available through season-long injuries,” Anderson said. “The financial cost of this to the club has been circa £4million.

“To put this in to perspective, the Premier League last week released an article on the cost of injured players to Premier League clubs and we would have ranked in the top 10 - something hopefully which we can avoid going forward.”

Anderson confirmed in December that 17 professional players were out of contract at the end of the season and that a concerted effort would be made to bring the wage structure back in line.

Jay Spearing, David Wheater and Gary Madine are among those who will be free agents in the summer but Anderson hinted attempts could be made to keep some of the top players on lower salaries.

“As has been well reported, at the end of the season, we will have a number of players whose contracts come to an end, which will enable us to renegotiate and also bring in a new batch of players on a more sustainable cost basis,” he said.

“Our budget this season, at circa £10m, is amongst the highest in Sky Bet League One and indeed the Championship, and it is imperative that going forward, we control our squad budget and work within a framework that is financially sustainable.”

A statement released by Anderson on the official website yesterday painted a bleak picture of the current financial climate, which will be expanded when accounts filed yesterday to Companies House hit the public domain.

At the heart of current difficulties lies a dispute between Anderson, fellow owner Dean Holdsworth and BluMarble – the company who supplied a loan to Holdsworth’s Sports Shield company buy the club in March last year.

Anderson maintains that the amount loaned was £4million but that guarantees were supplied for £5m, while Holdsworth maintains the £5m was loaned in full, with £1m used to pay-off fees associated with the takeover.

The lack of headway made in this battle could, in Anderson’s opinion, result in legal action.

“The biggest challenge of all will be reaching a solution with Blu Marble and Sports Shield which could, in my opinion, save us several millions of pounds, but this is likely to go to litigation and unfortunately, may take several years to finalise,” he said.

“For the record, I would also like to mention that I took no part in the original discussions with Blu Marble. Furthermore, the club does not have an agreement with Blu Marble; it has an agreement with Sports Shield and I am currently disputing the validity of this.”

Source

An interesting little piece this, in several ways. Someone seems to have been telling porkies. Ken Anderson? I don't think so.

Read all about it in the Beeno? I don't think so.

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Wed Sep 07 2022, 10:10; edited 1 time in total

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're living in the past Bob, no one cares.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:You're living in the past Bob, no one cares.
You are a bit of a numb nut, aren't you Natasha?
Are all your friends numb nuts too?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:You are a bit of a numb nut, aren't you Natasha?
Are all your friends numb nuts too?

Bonce is my only friend, so yes.

It doesn't change the fact you need to live for the moment Bob, nothing is gained by dwelling on the past.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

It doesn't change the fact you need to live for the moment Bob, nothing is gained by dwelling on the past.

Numb nuts ignore history, Natasha, and scoundrels deny the truth.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:You're living in the past Bob, no one cares.

Bob cares!

I've always believed you need to understand the pass in order to see why we find ourselves where we are now and in which direction we are heading to in the future - for instance in the recent past we had a choice between Johnson and Corbyn and that's why we ended up with Johnson who surrounded himself with the likes of Truss and Rushi and that's why we've ended up with Truss as our next PM.

One could say if the Labour Party MP's hadn't themselves decided to give sufficient of their votes in order that a leftwing candidate in Corbyn could stand in their leadership election after Miliband quit, then Andy Burnham may very well have won and gone on to beat Boris in the 2019 General Election and be our PM now!

Anyway sometimes no matter what, you do need to let go of the past and accept what is done - is done!

We can't deny the present even if we may not like it that much. or how it came about!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Let it go Nat.
Poirot and Captain Hastings are on the case. Very soon a group of suspects will be herded into the sitting room, and the guilty party will be exposed.
It's all about the little grey cells.
I'm a Miss Marple man myself.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Let it go Nat.
Poirot and Captain Hastings are on the case. Very soon a group of suspects will be herded into the sitting room, and the guilty party will be exposed.
It's all about the little grey cells.
I'm a Miss Marple man myself.

Good old Boncey. Daft as a brush but harmless enough and almost sane.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:

Good old Boncey. Daft as a brush but harmless enough and almost sane.
I was initially going with Holmes and Watson, but thought it was a little too homoerotic.
Morse and Lewis didn't fit, and Albert Campion and his sidekick, Lugg, might have caused friction, due to Lugg's uncouth nature.
And Hinge and Bracket was never going to work.
And I'll take 'almost sane' as a compliment. Very Happy

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:

I'll take 'almost sane' as a compliment. Very Happy

And so you should Boncey.

I haven't got where I am today by giving out compliments willy nilly.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Am i not your friend Nat?  Crying or Very sad

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
Am i not your friend Nat?  Crying or Very sad
I'm not certain Nat was being sincere. Neutral

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Never mind who is and who isn't friends with numb nuts, the chairman of the Supporters Trust apparently believed Holdsworth's version of events and told everyone daft enough to believe him that Holdsworth spent the best part of a million quid on fees.

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

He's still chairman of the ST TODAY..

..dunno..  ..dunno..  ..dunno..  ..dunno..  ..dunno..

You can be a Friend of Numb Nuts (sorry the ST) for as little as ten quid a year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum