You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Computer security

Computer security

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Mon Jul 03 2017, 20:49

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
@boltonbonce wrote:Yes. Just check out David Dickinson's 'Name Your Price'.

You're a sick man

32Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Mon Jul 03 2017, 21:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@finlaymcdanger wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:Yes. Just check out David Dickinson's 'Name Your Price'.

You're a sick man
Only just noticed? Very Happy

33Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Mon Jul 03 2017, 22:57

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

34Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Mon Jul 03 2017, 23:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

35Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Mon Jul 03 2017, 23:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I use Symantec endpoint protection (very resource friendly) which is the business version and not generally for the home user unlike the Norton brand by Symantec.

I passed only 1 out of the 18 tests and I can say as well that it is a load of tosh.

My network and PC system has all the updates and patches to date and is as secure as it can be.

I don't recommend any free antivirus as it is well free. It isn't going to be as good at securing your system as a paid for piece of software. Just think about it for a second.

36Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Mon Jul 03 2017, 23:17

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@karlypants wrote:I use Symantec endpoint protection (very resource friendly) which is the business version and not generally for the home user unlike the Norton brand by Symantec.

I passed only 1 out of the 18 tests and I can say as well that it is a load of tosh.

My network and PC system has all the updates and patches to date and is as secure as it can be.

I don't recommend any free antivirus as it is well free. It isn't going to be as good at securing your system as a paid for piece of software. Just think about it for a second.
But do we need any of it? Aren't we being ruled by fear?

38Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Mon Jul 03 2017, 23:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Always liked Malwarebytes,even though I now use Hitmanpro.

The up and comer is Zemana.

39Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm afraid most of this stuff is all Double Dutch to me! I'm using Avast free but I'm wondering if I should by the AVG Anti-Virus? It's advertised on ebay for £1.50 for 12 months protection. Basically the buyer e-mails you with a product key and you activate it and are covered for 12 months.

40Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
RT,I've tested them all over the years,and if you're looking for a free AV,then look no further than Bitdefender free. It uses the same engine as it's paid for product. Simply set it and forget it.

https://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

41Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:31

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sounds good to me Bonce. Should I uninstall the free Avast programme before I install bitdefender?

42Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:Sounds good to me Bonce. Should I uninstall the free Avast programme before I install bitdefender?
Yes. Bitdefender would sense it's presence,and tell you to uninstall,so might as well do it first.

43Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:56

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Cheers. Do I leave Windows Defender which came with the computer or uninstall that as well?

44Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:Cheers. Do I leave Windows Defender which came with the computer or uninstall that as well?
Can't uninstall it. Bitdefender will simply turn it off.

45Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Two pages of this shit.

Can't wait for tomorrow - what sort of door locks do you use?

46Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
This is all good advice i think, i pay £80+ for Norton AV so the free ones are of interest to me.

If you don't like it start your own thread on something of interest to you - how about where to buy size 12 ladies shoes?

47Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:04

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Even a slipper thread is looking good compared to this.

48Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:09

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:
@Reebok Trotter wrote:Cheers. Do I leave Windows Defender which came with the computer or uninstall that as well?
Can't uninstall it. Bitdefender will simply turn it off.

Cheers.

49Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:09

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:Two pages of this shit.

Can't wait for tomorrow - what sort of door locks do you use?

What system do you use?

50Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:Even a slipper thread is looking good compared to this.
At a future date,I may be discussing headphones.
We spend a lot of time on the net. Let's do it safely.

51Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:What system do you use?

I turn my PC off and on.

52Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:Two pages of this shit.

Can't wait for tomorrow - what sort of door locks do you use?
I hang a picture of you in the window. Don't need a lock.

53Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 11:18

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:
@Natasha Whittam wrote:Two pages of this shit.

Can't wait for tomorrow - what sort of door locks do you use?
I hang a picture of you in the window. Don't need a lock.


Very Happy

54Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 14:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Watch out for a fake email going about,saying that your ebay account has been used without your authority.
It will ask you to change your account password,but don't click on any link in the email. Go straight to ebay and change your password there.

55Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 15:20

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Clicking on a link in an email is always risky unless you are certain it is from a source you know. If in doubt hover your mouse over the sender to check their email address.

56Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:11

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
This is all good stuff tbh. I know a lot of people are computer savvy but not everyone is up to speed so any tips can only be beneficial imo.

57Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:This is all good stuff tbh. I know a lot of people are computer savvy but not everyone is up to speed so any tips can only be beneficial imo.
Quite agree. My brother treats his computer like toy,then comes moaning to me to sort it out when things go wrong.

58Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:24

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bitdefender worked a treat. It took a few hours to run the full scan but it's given me a clean bill of health!  :like:

59Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:Bitdefender worked a treat. It took a few hours to run the full scan but it's given me a clean bill of health!  :like:
It's pretty thorough. Scans should get quicker as you go along.

60Computer security - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer security on Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:48

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:
@Reebok Trotter wrote:Bitdefender worked a treat. It took a few hours to run the full scan but it's given me a clean bill of health!  :like:
It's pretty thorough. Scans should get quicker as you go along.

I used to have McAfee which was about £45 per annum but it used to take forever to run a full scan.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum