Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Barnsley 2-2 Bolton

Barnsley 2-2 Bolton

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

31Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 15:04

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I never mentioned toes.

32Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 15:38

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I never mentioned toes.

No, but I think even that won't be enough now!

33Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 17:46

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Felt like a defeat in the end, why can't we hold on to a lead?

34Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 17:48

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Felt like a defeat in the end, why can't we hold on to a lead?
Because the manager and team are shit.

35Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 17:54

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Gut wrenching ending.

Hope is the killer.

36Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 17:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Parky couldn't help himself. 2-1 up, take off Morais and bring on a defender. What followed was predictable.

When we get tonked by Wolves next week, and Burton inevitably beat Sunderland, the table is going to look a lot different.

37Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 17:57

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Report: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Wanderers

Bolton Wande had victory snatched away from them at Oakwell after battling their way back into contest.

The hosts had taken the lead in the first half through Gary Gardner but two goals in the second period in the space of three minutes from Adam Le Fondre and Craig Noone had seemingly swung the contest in favour of the visitors.

But Oliver McBurnie’s injury time header ensured the points were shared.

Team News

Phil Parkinson made four changes to the side that lost to Millwall in midweek as Wanderers aimed to arrest their four-game losing streak against a Barnsley side that sat just one place and two points below them in the Sky Bet Championship. Filipe Morais returned at the expense of Craig Noone, while wing backs Antonee Robinson and Mark Little came on for Andrew Taylor and Jon Flanagan, while Reece Burke came in for Derik.

First Half

Backed by just under 3,000 travelling fans, Wanderers started the brighter of the two and enjoyed far more possession than their hosts during the early stages.

Playing in a 3-4-3 formation, the visitors seemed set on attacking from the off with Barnsley’s sole outlet up front coming in the guise of Kieffer Moore.

Brad Potts registered the game’s first effort in target after Barnsley were afforded some time and space just outside the Wanderers box. The midfielder’s effort, though, lacked the power to trouble Ben Alnwick.

The chance saw the hosts get back into the game and they opened the scoring through Gary Gardner who rifled the ball into the roof of the net after Wanderers had cleared off their own line through Wheater and Beevers in the run up to the goal.

Adam Davies came to the rescue for Barnsley as he kept out a Sammy Ameobi right footer as Wanderers pressed for an equaliser.

At the other end, Wanderers struggle to clear a corner and McBurnie was allowed a run on goal only to see his curling effort sail narrowly wide of Alnwick’s left hand post.

Wanderers tried to rally as the half drew to a close and Henry saw a volley deflect for a corner.

Second Half

Will Buckley came on for Reece Burke during the break as Parkinson made an attacking change to try and get Wanderers back into the contest.

Wanderers attacked from the off and Buckley’s right sided cross found its way to Robinson whose shot went narrowly wide.

The hosts survived a vociferous claim for a penalty after a Tykes defender appeared to handle Le Fondre’s shot. From the resulting corner Wheater saw a towering header cleared off the line by Reds’ captain Andy Yiadom.

Wheater had another shot charged down at the expense of a corner as Wanderers tried in vain to get a goal.

Barnsley should have made it two when Moore rose high above everyone else to get his head on Hammill’s right sided cross but the big striker headed over much to the relief of Alnwick.

Parkinson immediately made another attacking change with Craig Noone coming on for Little for the remaining 20 minutes.

But Barnsley still had ambitions of their own to score as Moncur broke forward and charged towards goal but Alnwick kept out the midfielder’s strike and McBurnie’s rebound was cleared.

At the other end Le Fondre went on a powerful run only to see his goalbound effort deflect for a goalkick.

Wanderers got themselves back into the contest in dramatic fashion after Le Fondre picked himself up to score from the spot. There had been a delay in the penalty being taken after referee Mike Jones had to deal with an off-the-ball incident involving Pratley and McBurnie, both of whom were shown a yellow card.

And just moments later substitute Noone put Wanderers in front to spark wild scenes of celebration amongst the passionate Wanderers faithful.

Ameobi caused mayhem over on the right and the ball broke to Noon who crashed home with his right foot to register his first goal in a Wanderers shirt.

Barnsley weren’t deterred and grabbed an injury time equaliser through McBurnie who head home a corner to ensure both sides took home a point.

Full Time

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

38Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 18:00

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Parky couldn't help himself. 2-1 up, take off Morais and bring on a defender. What followed was predictable.

When we get tonked by Wolves next week, and Burton inevitably beat Sunderland, the table is going to look a lot different.

How many points have we lost to Parky's ineptitude?  Every time he puts on the extra defender, we give up a goal.  Strange game when you don't learn from your mistakes.

39Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 18:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

40Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 18:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Absolute shit defending in the box yet again.

41Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 18:12

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Wasn't really a mistake putting on an extra defender, he had already taken two defenders off to bring on Buckley and Noone. So going into the last 5 minutes when Barnsley went more direct we needed more defensive minded players.

It's not Parkys fault that we conceded a goal from a corner.

42Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 18:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:It's not Parkys fault that we conceded a goal from a corner.

It was a negative move which brought more pressure on us. Better to keep Morais on the pitch and hope he can take it into the corner.

Dervite is not the player I'd want coming on in the 92nd minute when he has to be 100% from the first second.

43Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 19:03

wanderlust


Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:It's not Parkys fault that we conceded a goal from a corner.

It was a negative move which brought more pressure on us. Better to keep Morais on the pitch and hope he can take it into the corner.

Dervite is not the player I'd want coming on in the 92nd minute when he has to be 100% from the first second.
Totally agree. Immediately prior to the substitution we were all over them and the momentum was with us. Having replaced two defenders with two more attack minded players it showed that attack is by far and away our best defence against a nervous team like Barnsley.
In bringing Dervite on, we handed back the initiative, the momentum and the psychological advantage.
Why Parky felt he had to change a winning formula when we were so close to the victory we needed is almost beyond belief and could cost us dearly.

44Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 19:27

wessy

wessy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
To sum up, Disappointed,then Happy, then Ecstatic, then Gutted

45Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 20:19

Jack Russell

Jack Russell
David Lee
David Lee
I honestly thought we were stuffed today, an unexpected comeback, disappointed not to take the three points but at least Barnsley were denied two points, hope that Forest beat them or at least a draw, it’s not over yet

46Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 20:58

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We are hanging by a thread. Still hopeful we can stay up.

And it’s not over till the fat lady (Natasha) sings.

47Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 21:29

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:It's not Parkys fault that we conceded a goal from a corner.

It was a negative move which brought more pressure on us. Better to keep Morais on the pitch and hope he can take it into the corner.

Dervite is not the player I'd want coming on in the 92nd minute when he has to be 100% from the first second.

It was the right and obvious move to make. Barnsley were bound to start throwing everything at us - as we had at us. So having sacrificed more defensive players we needed to be solid.

Shame none of the center backs managed to block off Mcburnie.

48Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 21:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:It was the right and obvious move

It was clearly the wrong move. When you're on the front foot you should stay there.

49Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 22:12

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Course you should, but football is not as simple as that. We had nothing to lose when we went on the front foot, Barnsley had it all to lose. 

And vice versa after we took the lead, psychologically these things have a massive affect on the players and game. A team need to be able to see games out and should be able to shut up shop and defend a lead for 10 minutes, simple as that.

50Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sat Apr 14 2018, 23:11

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Course you should, but football is not as simple as that. We had nothing to lose when we went on the front foot, Barnsley had it all to lose. 

And vice versa after we took the lead, psychologically these things have a massive affect on the players and game. A team need to be able to see games out and should be able to shut up shop and defend a lead for 10 minutes, simple as that.

Agree with this.

Barnsley's season basically hung on a thread when we went 2-1 up, so they had nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at us for the last remaining minutes of the game.

All managers do a 'tactical' substitution when winning with seconds to go - just to run down the clock some.

Personally I don't believe in tinkering about with the defence with just a few minutes to go, so if I was the manager I would have brought someone like Morais off (not seeing the match it's hard for me to say for definite but I might even have taken one of our other subs off - Buckley or Noone - because I think Morais is a smart player and has already played in a defensive role for us this season) and brought someone on Dervite is as good as anyone - but simply tell him to play in the position of the player I took off for him - ie on the wing or somewhere like that - and pick up the runners in a similar manner as the player I had just hooked off would. Meaning no messing about or repositioning for the defenders - and everybody still knowing their own defensive duties.

Good teams rarely let the opposition score from dead-ball positions - but sadly we aren't that good a team.

Shit happens and it did today.

Chins up though, although technically we are no longer in control of our own destiny, we are still points in hand over Barnsley and they HAVE to win that game in hand to overtake us.

I always prefer having the points in the bag than games in hand, so we are certainly not down yet.

Wolves will want to celebrate winning the Championship against local rivals Birmingham, so it really wouldn't surprise me if they are below us on goal difference this time tomorrow.

As for us, anything from Wolves would be a bonus and we should be able to get points off both Burton and Forest.

We can certainly still stay up just a shame we conceded that last minute equaliser.

Onwards and upwards.


51Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 10:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:All managers do a 'tactical' substitution when winning with seconds to go - just to run down the clock some.


They don't.

Some managers can see that bringing on a defender with only seconds to go can disrupt the concentration of the team.

52Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 11:52

wanderlust


Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Personally I don't believe in tinkering about with the defence with just a few minutes to go, so if I was the manager I would have brought someone like Morais off (not seeing the match it's hard for me to say for definite but I might even have taken one of our other subs off - Buckley or Noone - because I think Morais is a smart player and has already played in a defensive role for us this season) and brought someone on Dervite is as good as anyone - but simply tell him to play in the position of the player I took off for him - ie on the wing or somewhere like that - and pick up the runners in a similar manner as the player I had just hooked off would.  Meaning no messing about or repositioning for the defenders - and everybody still knowing their own defensive duties.

As someone who did watch the match just thought I'd let you know that Parky did bring Morais off for Dervite at a time when Morais had everything under control and moreover was pressurising their left flank. 
All that codswallop about Barnsley throwing everything at us is pure nonsense as we had them pinned back and more concerned about not conceding a third  which we might well have got - rather than trying to find an equaliser.
Difficult to equalise when you're stuck in your own box.

Fact of the matter is we had them pinned back with zero chance of equalising and everyone knowing their jobs when Parky made a knee jerk substitution to cost us the game and possibly our Championship status.

In mitigation I would say that for the first time this season, Parky did show a bit of bottle when we were behind by changing it round earlier than usual and committing to an attacking approach - well done for that.

Shame he couldn't stop himself from spoiling it though.

53Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:15

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Could you start posting links to games when they’re available to watch please Lust?

54Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Personally I don't believe in tinkering about with the defence with just a few minutes to go, so if I was the manager I would have brought someone like Morais off (not seeing the match it's hard for me to say for definite but I might even have taken one of our other subs off - Buckley or Noone - because I think Morais is a smart player and has already played in a defensive role for us this season) and brought someone on Dervite is as good as anyone - but simply tell him to play in the position of the player I took off for him - ie on the wing or somewhere like that - and pick up the runners in a similar manner as the player I had just hooked off would.  Meaning no messing about or repositioning for the defenders - and everybody still knowing their own defensive duties.

As someone who did watch the match just thought I'd let you know that Parky did bring Morais off for Dervite at a time when Morais had everything under control and moreover was pressurising their left flank. 
All that codswallop about Barnsley throwing everything at us is pure nonsense as we had them pinned back and more concerned about not conceding a third  which we might well have got - rather than trying to find an equaliser.
Difficult to equalise when you're stuck in your own box.

Fact of the matter is we had them pinned back with zero chance of equalising and everyone knowing their jobs when Parky made a knee jerk substitution to cost us the game and possibly our Championship status.

In mitigation I would say that for the first time this season, Parky did show a bit of bottle when we were behind by changing it round earlier than usual and committing to an attacking approach - well done for that.

Shame he couldn't stop himself from spoiling it though.

As someone who did watch the match, what were you doing on Chatbox typing out your made up stories of the club and calling me 'a wanker' when I pointed out that they could not possibly have happened due to the court processes required at that time?

As for Barnsley being more concerned more about not letting in another goal rather going all out for the equaliser in the last minute of the match (Morais subbed 90+2 minutes, their goal 90+3 minutes) is absolutely laughable.

Do you not even think before you post at times?

55Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:55

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
I was at the game, Dervite came on when we were defending a free kick. We then conceded a corner and then conceded a goal. If only we had Morais running down the wing. 

Still think Pratley could have done better defending the corner.

56Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 14:08

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I was at the game, Dervite came on when we were defending a free kick. We then conceded a corner and then conceded a goal. If only we had Morais running down the wing. 

Still think Pratley could have done better defending the corner.
Water under the bridge now... but we better learn to defend the set pieces or we will go down.  How can we leave someone unmarked?  Did the entry of Dervite confuse the players on the pitch?  Or are we just horrible at defending.  Fortunately, it's been some time that we let in last minute or extra time goals.  We have to stop that quickly as well.

57Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 14:40

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
After seeing the Birmingham and Millwall matches, most of us would have been euphoric getting a draw at 1-0. The only shocking thing about this match really is that we've scored a goal, let alone two.

At this stage of the season, it's basically just a case of accepting that we probably are one of the three worst teams in the division, but with a bit of luck we might just make it.

Yes it's sickening to throw it away again late on, but surely nobody is surprised. Parky's style and substitutions are questionable to say the least but then, does anybody honestly imagine the club being in a much better position had he never been appointed? Obviously we'll never know but if we do stay up, a lot of the bitching will suddenly die down, at least until next season.

58Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 15:00

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I was at the game, Dervite came on when we were defending a free kick. We then conceded a corner and then conceded a goal. If only we had Morais running down the wing. 

Still think Pratley could have done better defending the corner.
.....But what if we'd had Madine back in the box, defending crosses as well as he usually did......one of his less appreciated values quite apart from his goals and hold-up play

59Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 15:15

wanderlust


Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Personally I don't believe in tinkering about with the defence with just a few minutes to go, so if I was the manager I would have brought someone like Morais off (not seeing the match it's hard for me to say for definite but I might even have taken one of our other subs off - Buckley or Noone - because I think Morais is a smart player and has already played in a defensive role for us this season) and brought someone on Dervite is as good as anyone - but simply tell him to play in the position of the player I took off for him - ie on the wing or somewhere like that - and pick up the runners in a similar manner as the player I had just hooked off would.  Meaning no messing about or repositioning for the defenders - and everybody still knowing their own defensive duties.

As someone who did watch the match just thought I'd let you know that Parky did bring Morais off for Dervite at a time when Morais had everything under control and moreover was pressurising their left flank. 
All that codswallop about Barnsley throwing everything at us is pure nonsense as we had them pinned back and more concerned about not conceding a third  which we might well have got - rather than trying to find an equaliser.
Difficult to equalise when you're stuck in your own box.

Fact of the matter is we had them pinned back with zero chance of equalising and everyone knowing their jobs when Parky made a knee jerk substitution to cost us the game and possibly our Championship status.

In mitigation I would say that for the first time this season, Parky did show a bit of bottle when we were behind by changing it round earlier than usual and committing to an attacking approach - well done for that.

Shame he couldn't stop himself from spoiling it though.

As someone who did watch the match, what were you doing on Chatbox 
Multitasking. It was live on Facebook thanks to some bloke abroad.

60Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton on Sun Apr 15 2018, 15:19

wanderlust


Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fortunately, Wolves did the decent thing and dispatched Birmingham which puts them in Barnsley's sights albeit by a single goal GD.

If we don't beat Wolves, they will be crowned champions at the Macron.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum