Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Former Wanderers Manager George Mullhall has died

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

GEORGE Mulhall, the former Wanderers manager and assistant has passed away at the age of 81.
A Falkirk-born outside left and one of three footballing brothers, Mulhall started his professional playing career at Aberdeen but was best known for his time at Sunderland, where he made 253 appearances and scored 55 goals. He also had spells in Canada and South Africa before finishing with Morton in 1972.
During that time he gained three full caps for Scotland, making his debut against Northern Ireland in October 1959.

After retiring as a player he became trainer-coach at Halifax Town, where was he quickly promoted to first team manager. He remained in charge at The Shay until 1974 when he accepted an offer to become Ian Greaves’ assistant at Bolton Wanderers.
Mulhall left in 1978 to become manager of Bradford City, guiding the club to fifth place in Division Four in his first season.
He was eventually temped back to Bolton, however, and became Stan Anderson’s assistant in March 1981 and took over the reins in June that year.
Wanderers were having significant financial problems at the time and Mulhall’s single season in charge saw him having to release a raft of players, including Paul Jones.
It proved a troubled time on the pitch, too, with a 7-1 defeat at QPR the low point of a season in which they avoided relegation only on the final day.

Mulhall resigned in June 1982 as Wanderers looked to appoint a player-manager, famously approaching Brazil legend Pele.
He continued to work in the game as a scout for Ipswich, Halifax and Huddersfield Town and also had a spell as an assistant to Frank Worthington at Tranmere Rovers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

R.I.P.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RIP George.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Difficult times back then for us also!

I remember the QPR 7-1 stuffing - which wasn't quite as bad as it sounds because we had to play on their artificial pitch and clearly had no idea how to deal with the unusual bounce of the ball there was on it.

Iirc, I think that result started that woeful run of something like 43 away games in London before we managed to win there again! Something along them lines anyway, I'm sure someone or other will know the actual details.

Thanks for the memories George - great times together with Ian Greaves and lesser times thereafter - I did think him leaving led to the decline of the Greaves period but his return certainly didn't improve things unfortunately.

Happy days nevertheless.

R.I.P.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I never knew we had approached Pele to be player manager, imagine that! He was before my time but as an ex Wanderer in any capacity he deserves respect. RIP George

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I never knew we had approached Pele to be player manager, imagine that! He was before my time but as an ex Wanderer in any capacity he deserves respect. RIP George
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum