Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

4-4-2

+5
Sluffy
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
WhiteBic
inf
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

14-4-2 Empty 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 11:55

inf

inf
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Will we improve in this formation if we get a defensive midfielder? Don't know why Coyle is so obsessed with this formation, but i'm so sick of watching us play like this every game.

I didn't see us play Crawley, but was it a big difference when we played 4-5-1? I remember it was from last season.
I believe we could be a big threat with 4-5-1.

Anyway, once again: does anyone know why Coyle is so obsessed with 4-4-2?

24-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 12:13

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I know a lot of the coaching staff prefer 4-4-2 but Coyle appears to be so stubborn to change his tactics that are obviously not working. When he does change something 99% of the time it is a like for like sub. The last month has really changed my opinion of him. I am coming to the conclusion he is either a stubborn twat or a thick cunt.

34-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 12:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm no fan of Mark Davies, but he is better suited to 4-5-1 where he can get up to support the striker, rather than have to worry about defensive duties all the time.

We would be a much better team with a decent holding midfielder and Mavies pushing forward.

44-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 12:18

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

The thing is with coyle is he likes his wingers and also 2 front men, you just know when he does start 4-5-1 he will change it somewhere along the line to 4-4-2, as proved on tuesday against crawley.

4-4-2 can work but you need good tactics to suite the system, sadly we have mark davies who can't tackle to save his life and petrov on the left whos scared of getting his boots dirty.

54-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 12:31

inf

inf
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Even if he likes it so much he has got to see that it does not work very well. He really is stubborn, he really want it to work.

I remember us beating Liverpool last season with us playing 4-5-1. It was great to see. Our players seems more suited to that system.

Hope for some changes when we meet Hull.

64-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 13:06

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

There's nothing wrong in playing 4-4-2 if it matches up with your opponents (they may be playing 4-4-2 to, or even 4-3-3), there’s nothing wrong if you've got the right players to play the system either - but there's everything wrong in playing 4-4-2 if the opposition have got 5 in midfield against you (and almost certainly not two of them wingers) and we have Petrov, Eagles, and Mavis as three of our 'four'.

We simply get over run.

We can't hold the ball.

We can't create attacks through the middle of the park.

We can't protect the defence.

It's not rocket science - I simply can not get my head around why Coyle keeps playing the system with the players that he does?

It doesn't work the way he plays it and as not done so for nearly TWO YEARS now - since the start of 2011 - months before the Stoke semi!

It's just sheer madness from Coyle.

74-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 13:15

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Guarantee he wont go and use 451. Even keith Andrews today has said 451 works better. Ive always stuck by coyle but recently the faith is going and going quickly. Getting fed up with him and his pathetic stubborness

84-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 13:18

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree with the above post from Sluffy.

4-4-2 with three out of M Davies, Petrov, Lee and Eagles has only ever worked when we have had Holden or Muamba. Even then it was suspect at times without both Holden and Muamba instead of M Davies. Keith Andrews hasn't got the defensive skills to do the volume of tracking back required and he is not a 'sitter'. If we do sign a proper DM in the next 36 hours things might improve, otherwise we are left with two options, neither of which are very attractive to me, drop Mark Davies or play three in the middle.

94-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 13:26

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Anyone else think we might not get walked through as much in the midfield if Pratley and Andrews were there instead of Davies?

104-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 13:30

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I think we might not get walked through as much if curbishley was there instead of coyle.

114-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 13:45

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Ditto Jonny

124-4-2 Empty Re: 4-4-2 Thu Aug 30 2012, 14:41

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

All the above are good ideas ..... OC has hinted he will revert back to the same side as Forest. So it doesn't matter who we play against we will be unchanged, no tatics or any thought at all. So we spend all week discussing stuff and throwing ideas around, good or bad. Meanwhile the team sheet is already in OC's pocket....no change.
Personally I would play Sordell & Adofe or Ngog upfront. Put SKD on the bench and threaten anyone who attempts to hoof it to be subbed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum