Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Election

+15
Natasha Whittam
sunlight
okocha
observer
karlypants
Norpig
Cajunboy
wanderlust
Angry Dad
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
gloswhite
boltonbonce
luckyPeterpiper
Bollotom2014
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 24]

31General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 16:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:So who fits your criteria of acceptable by the masses? Corbyn's got the largest democratic mandate of any politician in the house of commons at this moment in time. 

Vote share at previous election and multiple elections as Labour leader. He's clearly the logical choice to lead any coalition, whether you like him or not.
Corbyn wasn't elected by the masses though. He won a safe seat locally and was eventually propelled into leadership by a faction within the Labour party.
As far as the marginal voters who don't have a party allegiance are concerned - and who are needed if there is to be any chance of winning - it's basically a popularity contest and according to the polls Corbyn is less popular than Ed Balls (retired) and Sadiq Khan (Mayor of London) in terms of labour politicians.
Personally I think they should appoint pro-remain non-politicians to speak for the coalition e.g. Sir Elton John, JK Rowling, Gary Lineker and Alan Partridge and use David Beckham, Daniel Craig, Idris Elba, Keira Knightley and Paloma Faith in the marketing materials - they all signed the People's Vote petition so they should be up for it.
...but I'd keep Bob Geldof, Bobby George, Helena Bonham-Carter and Delia as far away from the cameras as possible Smile

32General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 16:27

He won over 300,000 votes from the labour membership (61%) in the second leadership challenge and over 12,000,000 (30%) of the public in the 2017 general election - hardly a faction.

Can't really be bothered to get into a debate on it, clearly you're not a fan - but he's got the largest democratic mandate by a distance, so either name who should be leading a potential coalition or correct the comment.

33General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 16:50

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Seems to me that almost everyone is STILL arguing Brexit on party lines!! 

It should be about what's best for the future of the country, not the future of any political party....

34General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 17:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If it's someone acceptable to the masses you want, you'll get another Blair clone.

35General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 17:40

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Don't see as anyone in their right mind could be a fan of such a nasty evil man such as JC.

36General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 22:22

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Labour ,dead men walking.

37General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 22:30

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Just watched some labour idiot on news at ten saying they are going to win big and change this country around, Quite mad, grinning like a lunatic, Quite mad most definately mad, deranged, demented, away with the fairies.

38General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Tue Oct 29 2019, 23:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a sideshow that Boris/Dominic have created to secure their jobs and avoid a People's Vote.

How does a GE get Brexit done ???? (Boris/Cummings justification) 
Basically there are 2 ways neither of which are likely....

1) Tories win by enough for an overall majority and then hope to force Boris's deal through - but that assumes the Tories who voted against it will not vote against it again once their continued presence is assured. Not likely as they are two different issues.
2) Lib Dems/Labour/SNP/Plaid Cymru/Greens make gains and force through a second referendum which kills Brexit. Not likely as the Tory dissenters will see the political danger so will block a referendum. Unless the coalition gets a majority.

Other than either of those, all the other potential outcomes leave us with exactly the same situation we have now.

Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic as far as I can tell.

The ONLY solution is to have a new (not second!) referendum where the choices are accept Boris's deal or remain.

Because those are the choices in the real world.

39General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Wed Oct 30 2019, 07:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

:agree:

40General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Wed Oct 30 2019, 12:00

wanderlust wrote:

The ONLY solution is to have a new (not second!) referendum where the choices are accept Boris's deal or remain.

Are you aware that what you’re describing is essentially Labour’s policy? Except they’d renegotiate Boris’s deal to be far less damaging and put that to the people alongside remain.

41General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Wed Oct 30 2019, 13:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Are you aware that what you’re describing is essentially Labour’s policy? Except they’d renegotiate Boris’s deal to be far less damaging and put that to the people alongside remain.
TBH they haven't made that clear to the electorate at all.

42General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Wed Oct 30 2019, 13:56

Can’t agree with that personally. But now you know will you be voting for it?

43General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Thu Oct 31 2019, 10:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Can’t agree with that personally. But now you know will you be voting for it?
I've got to arrange a postal vote as I'll be in South East Asia throughout December. I'll vote tactically depending on which candidate has the best chance of deposing the incumbent Tory who is a cock of the first order, but TBH there's little chance of that happening in this rural farming community where they are panicking about Brexit but will always go with party allegiances for a GE.
As mentioned, they see the GE and Brexit as completely separate issues so I anticipate voting along party lines rather than issues.

44General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Mon Nov 04 2019, 08:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Both Labour and Conservatives likely to take public spending up to 1970s levels whoever wins according to this. How it will be funded is the question especially as the Tories also plan to promise tax cuts. I think most of us remember how it panned out in the 70s.
And in a pre-emptive move to prevent more broken election promises, Chris Hopson has asked the parties not to use the NHS as a political weapon again here.

45General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Mon Nov 04 2019, 09:26

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm sitting in my bunker, with my tin hat and bullshit deflectors on during this campaign. I have a feeling that nobody will be happy with whatever the outcome.
The one thing I really don't want to see is a second referendum. How can we completely ignore the first one, when so many politicians are blatantly ignoring their constituencies, let alone their oath/promise to observe Article 50 they had signed up to? 
In many ways democracy has been dealt a severe blow, from which we are now seeing the fallout. The political future isn't good I fear, whatever your leanings.

46General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Mon Nov 04 2019, 10:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A lot of promises being made about the NHS and free TV licences, and I wish they'd just shut up. We're not stupid.
Just the usual empty promises on both sides.

47General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Mon Nov 04 2019, 10:47

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:I'm sitting in my bunker, with my tin hat and bullshit deflectors on during this campaign. I have a feeling that nobody will be happy with whatever the outcome.
The one thing I really don't want to see is a second referendum. How can we completely ignore the first one, when so many politicians are blatantly ignoring their constituencies, let alone their oath/promise to observe Article 50 they had signed up to? 
In many ways democracy has been dealt a severe blow, from which we are now seeing the fallout. The political future isn't good I fear, whatever your leanings.

A second referendum makes perfect sense and was the preference of far more people than a general election.

We need a second referendum now that we know the terms of the deal, which were never made clear before the 2016 referendum. It would provide us with an answer unlike a general election which could just give us another hung parliament with no party having a majority.

48General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Mon Nov 04 2019, 11:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Promising stuff is the easy bit as there's always a ready made excuse e.g. "the economic circumstances have changed" when they don't deliver on them so in essence there's no sanction other than the next election on anything they promise.
And given that once elected it is usually a 4 year term - plenty of time to forget - and that Brits vote dogmatically along party lines anyway for the most part, they might as well promise us everything because they will never be held to account.

What they never promise is to ensure that all expenditure proposed will be matched by the necessary tax rises to pay for it.

And I have every sympathy for the NHS guy's statement. The NHS is used as a political football because it's a sentimental subject dear to our hearts but when push comes to shove it has been attacked from all sides, with any promises of money being based on previous promises that weren't delivered i.e. not "new money" and now the threat of staff shortages due to changes in the immigration laws, the falling pound and the removal of free movement. I wish they'd just leave the NHS out of it and give them a chance of survival - much better than Boris opening the door to private sector American companies who will strip it to the bones.

49General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Mon Nov 04 2019, 12:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here's an interesting angle on Brexit as a political message for the election:

All 10 of the local authority areas with the steepest jumps in the number of people out of work and claiming benefits in the year to the end of September overwhelmingly backed Brexit.

Teignbridge in Devon (79.3% Leave) has seen its claimant count rise almost 110% from 565 to 1,185 — a higher percentage rise than anywhere else.

The Lincolnshire town of Boston (77.2% Leave) known for its high level of migrant workers, has seen the claimant count jump 83.5% from 605 to 1,110.

Two towns in Kent, Sevenoaks (80.6% Leave) and Dartford (75.5% Leave) have also seen rises in unemployment of more than 80%.

Say what you like folks but the words "turkeys" and "Christmas" spring to mind.

50General Election - Page 3 Empty Re: General Election Mon Nov 04 2019, 13:28

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Of course those turkeys have been fed a diet of nothing but lies about the EU for decades by the Sun, Mail, Telegraph, Express, etc. They do so love their bendy bananas and prawn cocktail flavour crisps.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum