Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mayor's council tax hike branded 'Burnham re-election fund'

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A hike in council tax set by the Metro Mayor has been described as "disgraceful" by Bolton's Lib Dem leader.

Cllr Roger Hayes told a cabinet meeting that the rise in council tax which comes into effect in April goes beyond essential services.

He highlighted the fact that there are no limits to how much the Mayor can raise his council tax precepts and that part of the bill has gone up by nearly 50 per cent.

He said: “I don’t have a problem paying for police and the fire and rescue service. But this is basically the Andy Burnham re-election fund we're talking about. It's £9m to be paid by Bolton citizens – I don’t think anybody can justify that."

The Mayor of Greater Manchester will charge Band B properties £18.67 more next financial year.

The two precepts he sets will account for at least £200 of the total annual bill for most Bolton properties.

He is set to spend the additional money on recruiting 108 firefighters, helping rough sleepers and providing free bus travel for young people who grew up in care until they turn 21.

Mr Burnham has also promised that every council ward in Greater Manchester will have a named police officer and PSCO.

Labour councillors refuted Cllr Hayes' comments and defended the spending plans.

Responding to Cllr Hayes, council leader David Greenhalgh said: “The percentage argument is one that's a good headline but it’s quite misleading. I’m sure it will play very well with the public out there."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum