Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ON THIS DAY: Rioch's a no-go for Manchester City and Jardel plots return

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2014: DOUGIE Freedman insisted exiled striker Marvin Sordell could still have a future with Bolton Wanderers, if he wanted it.

The former England Under-21 striker, who cost £3.2million from Watford just a couple of years earlier, had spent the whole season on loan at Charlton Athletic.

Sordell had gone back to London in pursuit of first team football but was struggling for goals and a permanent move looked unlikely.

And as the two sides prepared to meet at The Valley, Freedman could make no promises that the striker nor Keith Andrews, who had been farmed out to Brighton, would be at the front of the queue when they returned.

“I don’t expect Marvin’s attitude will have changed; he’s a young player and he’ll want to be playing every week,” the Bolton manager said. “I’ll have that chat with him in the summer when we come back and see what his thoughts are.

“I’ll explain where I’m trying to take the football club and that he’s got to buy into being a bit more patient. But I can’t blame him because I was exactly the same as Marvin or Keith (Andrews) – I wanted to play every week.

“We’ll be men about it and decide which way we’re going to go. It’s a two-way thing – they need to understand they won’t be playing every week and I’ll be rotating it, and if they do, then I’m comfortable because the two of them are decent players but they’re only decent if they’re happy.”

2004: MARIO Jardel might have been temporarily frozen out by Sam Allardyce but he was guaranteed a warm welcome in the Reebok dressing room if – as reported – he was ready to play out the second year of his contract.

One of the most prolific goalscorers in Europe, the enigmatic Brazilian was labelled a flop by the Wanderers boss when he was farmed out on loan to Ancona. He won no admirers in Italy, where he repeatedly had run-ins with the hierarchy at the Serie A club, who were relegated.

But he is remembered fondly by his Bolton team-mates, according to Kevin Nolan, who says he would be welcomed back into the fold.

“Everyone calls Mario a flop but he was one of the lads; he was funny and we all had a laugh and a joke with him.” Nolan said.

“It looks like he might be back for next season and we’ll be happy with that. We all stick together here.”

1994: WANDERERS fans could breathe easier after Francis Lee confirmed that Brian Horton would stay in charge at Manchester City, for the time being at least.

Widespread rumours had circulated around Burnden Park that the Maine Road chief was going to swoop for Rioch in time for the start of the 1994/95 campaign.

But after Wanderers had ended a run of eight league games without a win and put any lingering fears of relegation to bed, Rioch was keen to build on the foundations he had laid.

The Whites sat 17th and had 51 points, a total on which no club had ever been relegated, but with five games to play Rioch wanted to leave nothing to chance.

“Obviously the three points on Saturday were important,” he said, refusing to take anything for granted. “Games are running by us all now, including the clubs below us, so we have got to keep trying to pick up the points.

“Getting the win against Peterborough that we wanted will have raised our confidence but it won’t turn things around in one fell swoop.”

1909: Wanderers inched closer to winning the Second Division championship with a 4-1 home win against Stockport County.

Billy Hughes and Billy Hunter scored the goals which put their opponents on the verge of having to apply for re-election.

Bolton went on to beat Clapton Orient and Derby County in their final two games to clinch promotion to the top division at the first time of asking.

1882: Wanderers beat Bootle 12-0, the seventh time that the club had reached double figures since it played its first match in December 1879.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum