Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Season to end soon?

+6
Cajunboy
Natasha Whittam
RangersDave
karlypants
Norpig
Sluffy
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Season to end soon? Empty Season to end soon? Wed May 06 2020, 14:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

If this article is true in what it says about the general view of the club owners in the third and fourth tiers it looks as though the common sense thing will be done but no word on promotion or relegation.

IF the season is voided then I assume when we start the next one we will still have to go through the 12 point penalty and two year sanctions again though.

League One and League Two could be abandoned next week with planned EFL vote

Majority of clubs want season to end

By
Jason Burt,
Chief Football Correspondent and
John Percy
6 May 2020 • 1:00pm

A crucial vote is expected to be held next week on whether League One and League Two should be abandoned this season with the fear that the majority of clubs do not now want to carry on.
Telegraph Sport understands that the issue of curtailing the season will be formally raised by the English Football League at a conference call meeting on Thursday with clubs informed of the intention to put it to a vote.
The 23 clubs in League One and 24 in League Two will be told to cast their votes at next week’s meeting with the EFL having already spent the last few days informally canvassed opinion which appears to show there is an overwhelming desire not to carry on. The vote will not involve clubs in the Championship with the EFL hopeful that it will still be played to a conclusion....

You have to subscribe to see the rest but I think the gist is already shown above

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Wed May 06 2020, 15:34

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It seems very harsh to me that if the season was voided that we would have -12 points again next season. It's hardly our fault Coronavirus happened is it?

3Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Wed May 06 2020, 15:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:It seems very harsh to me that if the season was voided that we would have -12 points again next season. It's hardly our fault Coronavirus happened is it?
Good god!  affraid

Riot time if that happens!

4Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Wed May 06 2020, 16:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:It seems very harsh to me that if the season was voided that we would have -12 points again next season. It's hardly our fault Coronavirus happened is it?

It's hardly EFL's or any of the other clubs too - and that's the point of view to take into account.

Obviously up to the EFL how they 'end' the season but if they officially declare it 'void' then I think that has legal implications, which as I understand it will simply mean it never happened.

So if the club has been given a points penalty to serve in the following season and 'officially' if this season is 'void' then it still has to be served in the next one.

I suppose the EFL could bend their own rules but that would probably leave them open to other teams taking legal action against them if they felt strongly about it - and I think some certainly would!

5Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Wed May 06 2020, 16:59

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If they void it and we start in league one again with -12 then fair enough which would mean that we really in a better position than we were then. 

I think I may have been hasty with my original reply.

6Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Wed May 06 2020, 17:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:If they void it and we start in league one again with -12 then fair enough which would mean that we really in a better position than we were then. 

I think I may have been hasty with my original reply.

They might not 'void' it but declare the season 'ended' and declare a winner in some way or other, possibly even promotions and (more contentious) relegations - so in that sense the season is 'complete' and thus our points penalty 'served'.

Who knows until it happens but I'm just trying to point out that 'voiding' the season may well mean that our points penalty hasn't been served and may well be carried forward into the next one.

7Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Wed May 13 2020, 23:43

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

EFL Statement: Coronavirus Update

The EFL Board has met today to further consider the many complex financial and operational matters resulting out of the COVID-19 crisis, including how the 2019/20 campaign is concluded.
While there is much debate and discussion taking place publicly and privately regarding what should, or could, happen next, the EFL will continue to undertake consultation with our members before the next steps are determined.

Current attention is clearly on the immediate next steps, but the long-term impact on the League and its Clubs remains as stark as previously outlined, and solutions are still required to fill the financial hole left by the crisis. The consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic will not be rectified simply by a return to play behind closed doors.

In addition, the EFL is mindful of the pressing need for clarity in a number of areas, including the practicalities and timeframes of Clubs being able to facilitate a return to training. To address this, Clubs have today been issued with the latest draft of the EFL’s ‘Return to Training Protocols’, so that they can prepare appropriately.

However, until all outstanding matters are concluded, including finalising a comprehensive testing programme on matchdays and non-matchdays, the EFL Board has informed its Clubs that a return to training should not take place until 25 May at the earliest.

Dialogue continues with our colleagues across the footballing and political landscape regarding these and other issues, and the EFL is committed to keeping all relevant parties updated on key decisions and developments as they occur.

Fwiw - I don't really think many football fans really grasp that football clubs (both big and small) are really looking down the barrel of going out of business.

You simply can't stay in business if you can't trade - and clearly FV/BWFC aren't trading and looks as though they won't possibly/probably until next year at the earliest (in front of crowds rather than behind closed doors) and won't make it unless someone (the government/Premier League money) bales us (and all the other clubs) out.

The future looks really grim for the club/football at our level, to me.

8Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 11:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Is Iles really saying the players have been in Switzerland since coronavirus began/last few weeks, or am I misunderstanding something here?

9Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 11:57

No he’s saying they’ve remained neutral. It’s an expression.

10Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 12:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Six clubs want to finish the season in our division apparently.

Surprisingly (or not!!!) they are ALL in or around the play-off places!

No self interest there then - nor I would say from clubs who might be relegated who aren't keen to see the season being played out!

It's just about the 'integrity' of the league - and not money - of course it is!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

11Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 12:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:No he’s saying they’ve remained neutral. It’s an expression.

Ah thanks, I understand now.

Thought it sounded odd about the players being it Switzerland!

Razz

12Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 14:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

League One clubs unable to decide on ending season after meeting with EFL

League One clubs have failed to agree whether to end the season early following discussions with the English Football League.
Friday's meeting involving all 23 sides in the division came after six clubs had said they were determined to complete their remaining fixtures.
The league was halted on 13 March amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The clubs will meet again on Monday, while teams in League Two are due to carry out discussions later on Friday.
BBC Sport understands there is a general acceptance among clubs in both League One and League Two that resuming the current campaign is impossible because of a lack of money.

More here -

13Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 14:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

League Two clubs vote to end season

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.
The table is set to be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation are not finalised.
There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

14Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 16:03

RangersDave

RangersDave
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Sluffy wrote:League Two clubs vote to end season

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.
The table is set to be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation are not finalised.
There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

Surely that wont go down well? unless it was a 100% in favour vote it opens Pandora's box for litigation.

Thats the trouble with trying to 'end' the season now on a PPG method, doesnt take into account those that might have gone up or down, and some will be rightly (imho) aggreived.

I still think voiding and starting again in late August from square one will be the fairest all round.

15Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 16:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Conference and in particular Barrow will not be happy if no one goes up from the Conference and remember the FL will still be one team short with Bury going.

16Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Fri May 15 2020, 17:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's looking good for Chorley as things stand.

17Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Mon May 18 2020, 14:47

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lovely cakes.

18Season to end soon? Empty Re: Season to end soon? Mon May 18 2020, 18:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Lovely cakes.