Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's your favourite soup?

+9
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
Hip Priest
Sluffy
boltonbonce
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

31What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 14:52

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You've still not answered the burning question Nat  Very Happy

32What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 14:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:You've still not answered the burning question Nat  Very Happy
Yes, we need to know.
Home made, packet, or tin.

33What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 14:57

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Is it just me thinking of the Hovis theme while reading Sluffys last post?  Very Happy

I think naughty Lusty is trying to wind you up Sluffy

The thing you need to realise with Wanderlust is that he is one of those people who believes he can never be wrong about anything.

He's arguing to defend his comments about bay leaves and peppercorns.

He's doing it so not to lose face rather than attempt to wind me up, although no doubt he will say otherwise - but that's his real reason.

Well good for him if his family was better of than mine, plenty were but my dad was a builder and when there was no work for him there was no money coming into the house - it was as stark as that.

Everybody were in exactly the same boat where we lived - otherwise they would have lived some place better!

Fwiw I've tried to find some pictures of my old street and found some from the area in Humphrey Spenders records 'Worktown' - Bolton in the 1930's

https://boltonworktown.co.uk/photograph/mossfield-mill

If you look in the comments people are talking about Leicester Street, etc, being demolished in the late 1960's one of the people talking about the shop that was there - that was our local corner shop - run by a Scottish couple Jim and Brenda Patterson!

My point being that thirty years after Spencer's pictures of 'old' Bolton, people like my family were still living in these houses built in the Victorian era!

I didn't know as a kid that we were poor, everybody were exactly the same where we lived and even when we caught the bus to visit family we travelled to other areas just the same as Daubhill and Orlando Bridge area, where GUS is now (that's if it still exists?).

It was only really when we were moved out to new council housing to allow the demolition of where we lived that I realised the difference in housing, the first time we had an indoor toilet, running hot water, an actual bath (we used to have a 'bath' by standing up besides the kitchen sink - and in winter we had to light the cookers gas rings to warm the kitchen up before we could even strip off for one!) and a bedroom I didn't have to share with anyone!

I'm not making out that I was hard done by or anything (like that famous Monty Python sketch) it was just how it was at the time.

I really enjoyed my childhood, I guess it helped form me into the person I am.

Going back to Wanderlust though, once you realise that he can't admit to being wrong then you can understand why he posts like he does, particularly to me.

34What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Work Town by David Hall is well worth the read, for anyone interested in the period.

35What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:08

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Images24
Very tasty.

It's not easy to find , even Ocado are unable to supply it.

36What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:You've still not answered the burning question Nat  Very Happy
Anything that's hot and filling?

37What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:26

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My Mum grew up one of the streets around Gaskell street so not a million miles away from you on Vernon St Sluffy. My Granny worked at the big mill on Gaskell st for many years before she retired.

38What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:31

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think my Mum grew up on Snowden Street? It rings a bell but could be wrong?

https://boltonworktown.co.uk/photograph/snowden-street

39What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

The thing you need to realise with Wanderlust is that he is one of those people who believes he can never be wrong about anything.
You know what I believe? Cool! I believe the word for someone who has that skill is a mentalist.

So if you can read my mind as you claim, what am I thinking right now?
And now.
And now.....

What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRXJMTcRVEYfedyvlaIpi4jFv6C8asduvUC4w&usqp=CAU

mentalist1
/ˈmɛnt(ə)lɪst/

noun

[list=eQJLDd]
[*]1. 
a magician who performs feats that apparently demonstrate extraordinary mental powers, such as mind-reading.

[/list]

40What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:My Mum grew up one of the streets around Gaskell street so not a million miles away from you on Vernon St Sluffy. My Granny worked at the big mill on Gaskell st for many years before she retired.

I went to nursery and junior school at Gaskell Street, County Primary School, Church of England, when it faced the big mill where your granny worked before the school was knocked down and rebuilt where it is now.

I was probably there at the same time your granny was across the road working in the mill!

That whole area from Gaskell Street (Chorley Old Road really) through to Halliwell Road and from Gaskell street across to Vernon Street was demolished as I was growing up.

You may want to ask your granny or mum if they remember the ginnel at the side of the mill running from Gaskell Street leading to Oxford Grove Park, which we used every week to walk from school to play either football or cricket on the playing fields.

I even remember once going into the lodge area at the side of the ginnel for an art lesson, to sketch it.

Didn't see any Bay Leaf trees though!

41What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neither of them are around anymore i'm afraid Sluffy, My Mum died last year but i'm pretty certain it was Snowden Street she lived on. I'll have to ask my Aunty (Mum's older Sister) next time i speak to her.

42What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:53

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

You know what I believe? Cool! I believe the word for someone who has that skill is a mentalist.

No one has to read your mind you nutjob - your actions speak louder than words and on here you can't admit to being wrong ever.

And all this because I said there wasn't anyone around me at the time cooking with bay leaves and peppercorns!

And you think I'm the mentalist...?

I'm sure everybody can read my mind though right now about what I think of you!

43What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 15:57

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

My mum always threatened to take us to Vernon St, if we'd been misbehaving. I think it was because there was a dogs home, (or something) there ?

44What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 16:01

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's amazing what was considered 'posh' back then. The couple next door dad one of these fitted to each of their kitchen taps.
What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 S-l300
To my younger brother and I, they might have been the crown jewels. We begged our parents to get some asap.

45What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 16:04

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What is it Boncey?

46What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 16:05

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

fits on the tap

47What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 16:06

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

to do what though?

48What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 16:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:to do what though?
You can direct your water. It was like magic. The really posh people had these.
What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 41XOEcjYM9L._AC_

49What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 16:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aah i see now  Very Happy

50What's your favourite soup? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's your favourite soup? Tue Aug 04 2020, 16:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just as we caught up, the bastards went and got one of those single taps that swung from side to side, and dispensed both hot and cold water.
They only needed one rubber nozzle. We were back to square one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum