Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » How is the Tory government doing?

How is the Tory government doing?

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down  Message [Page 24 of 26]

691How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 02:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:My comment was about the vaccine rollout not death rates - ‘rollouts been very good’.

Private companies was a reference to SERCO’s management of track and trace.

Rollout has been very good, yes, but my post was about death rates.

I notice you still can't bring yourself (or any other of our resident Tory haters) to acknowledge that the government indeed has kept them down - so much in fact that we've fallen from the highest in Europe to seventh - and that's even before the 'very good' vaccine rollout.

As for the 'very good' vaccine rollout, it was led by the much derided Kate Bingham, lest you forget, of whom you and many others publicly decride her as being a crony of the government with absolutely no public health experience, she being a venture capitalist.

Well this venture capitalist led the procurement of the vaccines and the strategy for the deployment of them.

Seems to have done an outstanding job hasn't she - look at the EU shambles in contrast!

I can't be arsed looking up all the negative comments about her at the time from all the good Tory hating posters on here but you will be pleased to know I easily found your mate Maughan's view on her...

Jobs for their mates: We’re suing

https://goodlawproject.org/update/jobs-for-mates-jr/



Fwiw it looks as though Maughan's has quietly dropped his cronyism claim over Kate Bingham, I wonder why...

It can't possibly be because she made such a good job in that role can it...?

:rofl:

...he's still after Harding though.

How come the one who is a success is no longer a crony yet the one who wasn't, is?

Answers on a post card please!

Very Happy

692How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 07:06

T.R.O.Y.


Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
You think the government deserves praise for the death rate in this country? I think if you’re looking for positives in the pandemic response you’ve chosen the wrong metric.

693How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 10:43

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Ian hislop has his say on Question Time re the government's refurb of the  press briefing room, amongst other examples of Tory priorities and practices

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/ian-hislop-mocks-new-press-room-boris-johnson-downing-street-b925077.html

694How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 11:05

Ten Bobsworth


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Why is Nuts overrun by twe*ps and why are they all lefties?

695How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 12:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Ten Bobsworth wrote:Why is Nuts overrun by twe*ps and why are they all lefties?
Are you suggesting Hislop is a leftie?

696How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 12:59

Ten Bobsworth


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@boltonbonce wrote:
Are you suggesting Hislop is a leftie?
Of course not, Boncey. I don't think he's a twe*p either.
A healthy sceptic is how I'd describe him and I rather approve of that.

697How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 13:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:You think the government deserves praise for the death rate in this country? I think if you’re looking for positives in the pandemic response you’ve chosen the wrong metric.

Nope.

Did you not bother reading my posts then???

Obviously not so I'll post a few up again just for you!

@Sluffy wrote:Not something to particularly brag about or be proud of but contrary to all the initial hoo ha it seems that from when the pandemic hit us up to December our death rate from Covid is lower than six other country's in Europe including Spain.

As I say nothing to be proud about and mistakes were made but we've clearly done better than others since and it looks as though the vaccination system seems to be preventing a massive new wave of infections that seem to be facing Europe and in particular France and Germany.

Thought I'd point this out as some form of balance to the hysteria that often goes on, on Nuts, with anything to do with the Tory government.

Covid: UK death rate 'no longer Europe's worst' by winter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56456312

Covid: Germany warns of 'exponential' rise in coronavirus cases
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56460696

Oh, I still see that you can't find it in yourself (or any of the other rabid Tory haters on here) to give any credit for that (I've never asked for praise have I?)...

@Sluffy wrote:I'm happy for you to point out where I've missed reading on here about how we are no longer the worst European country for the death rate.

I've read many, many times about people banging on about us being the worst though!!!

That was the point I was making.

@Sluffy wrote:I notice you still can't bring yourself (or any other of our resident Tory haters) to acknowledge that the government indeed has kept them down - so much in fact that we've fallen from the highest in Europe to seventh - and that's even before the 'very good' vaccine rollout.

You seem to have lost your tongue over Kate Bingham too...

@Sluffy wrote:It's all one way on here - everything Tory is shit, well the real world is not like that no matter how much you and others may want it to be.

They do get somethings right and other political party's (even Labour) get things wrong now and again.

Credit should be given to where it is due irrespective of what political party it is.

I couldn't have made my point any more clearer could I...!

Very Happy

698How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 22:32

T.R.O.Y.


Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Honestly, I don’t have a clue what point you’re trying to make here so just to be really clear for you:

- Gov vaccine rollout deserves praise and credit
- Include Kate Bingham in that, she’s led it after all
- There are still many elements to the gov pandemic response which have been demonstrably poor

699How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Mar 20 2021, 23:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Honestly, I don’t have a clue what point you’re trying to make here so just to be really clear for you:

- Gov vaccine rollout deserves praise and credit
- Include Kate Bingham in that, she’s led it after all
- There are still many elements to the gov pandemic response which have been demonstrably poor

My point was clear enough, I even spelt it out earlier as well!

@Sluffy wrote:I'm happy for you to point out where I've missed reading on here about how we are no longer the worst European country for the death rate.

I've read many, many times about people banging on about us being the worst though!!!

That was the point I was making.

All the endless criticising and foaming at the mouth about how totally incompetent the government was doing, week after week, month after month, on here - by all the usual suspects - and it turns out the government actually had got on top of things more than any one of you had though - nor no doubt could believe (certainly not admit to!!!).

The death rate was clearly slowed down, so much in fact that six other country's in Europe were shown now to be far worse - and that was up to mid December too - before the vaccine rollout had even had chance to get started (it had only been going two weeks and it takes three weeks for the vaccine to become effective).

Everything the government did was roundly and routinely rubbished on here by those who obviously know best, or at least they think they do, yet contrary to their smugness and all knowingness the government handling of the pandemic has indeed improved considerably since the start of the pandemic - the fall in death rate proves that - when we, the country, simply didn't have the capacity, knowledge or even the true factual information (thanks to China's concealing the true facts) to cope with it.

I'm not looking for praise of the government, they were only doing their job, I was looking for an acknowledgement from those with a blind hatred of all things Tory, that just because they have different politics to you doesn't mean they are wrong in everything they do.

There is a toxicity on here (and from some/many people in general) that all things Tory are shit and all things 'woke' (am I using the word in the right context - I think I am?) are wonderful, when neither extreme is the case.

To be fair you are the only one on here who will give reasons for what you say and believe in and concede at times that not everything the Tory government has done has always been wrong.

As for the rest who frequently vent their hatred on this thread...

...not a word!

Can't say I'm at all surprised though.

700How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 03:36

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Be honest, you're catching up on your daily "Nuts" and someone has had the temerity to disagree with  something Lord Sluffy has posted. They raise good and valid points and it looks like a lively debate is in the offing.
You're then suddenly confronted by a "War & Peace" length post where Sluffy quotes himself about 12 times (just to make it absolutely clear to you that you're definitely wrong and he's obviously right) and lets you know what a complete idiot you are for holding an opinion that is different to his.
Is it just me or does anyone else lose the very will to live when confronted by one of these tomes and just ignore it and moves onto the next post.

701How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 10:44

T.R.O.Y.


Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@Sluffy wrote:
All the endless criticising and foaming at the mouth about how totally incompetent the government was doing, week after week, month after month, on here - by all the usual suspects - and it turns out the government actually had got on top of things more than any one of you had though - nor no doubt could believe (certainly not admit to!!!).

The death rate was clearly slowed down, so much in fact that six other country's in Europe were shown now to be far worse - and that was up to mid December too - before the vaccine rollout had even had chance to get started (it had only been going two weeks and it takes three weeks for the vaccine to become effective).

Everything the government did was roundly and routinely rubbished on here by those who obviously know best, or at least they think they do, yet contrary to their smugness and all knowingness the government handling of the pandemic has indeed improved considerably since the start of the pandemic - the fall in death rate proves that - when we, the country, simply didn't have the capacity, knowledge or even the true factual information (thanks to China's concealing the true facts) to cope with it.

Ok just to be clear:


  • You want posters on here to acknowledge the government handling has been pretty good.
  • Because there were just 6 countries in Europe with a worse death rate than us up until 18 December? (I think that's a full month before daily deaths peaked).
  • The first wave was so bad as a result of misinformation coming out of China? Or is that all subsequent waves too?


And no i absolutely wouldn't use woke in the context of criticising gov policy it's become a bit of a lazy catch all used by the right to undermine any opposition because they know it will trigger a certain base. Wokeness is to be aware of societal inequality and injustice.

702How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 13:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:
@Sluffy wrote:
All the endless criticising and foaming at the mouth about how totally incompetent the government was doing, week after week, month after month, on here - by all the usual suspects - and it turns out the government actually had got on top of things more than any one of you had though - nor no doubt could believe (certainly not admit to!!!).

The death rate was clearly slowed down, so much in fact that six other country's in Europe were shown now to be far worse - and that was up to mid December too - before the vaccine rollout had even had chance to get started (it had only been going two weeks and it takes three weeks for the vaccine to become effective).

Everything the government did was roundly and routinely rubbished on here by those who obviously know best, or at least they think they do, yet contrary to their smugness and all knowingness the government handling of the pandemic has indeed improved considerably since the start of the pandemic - the fall in death rate proves that - when we, the country, simply didn't have the capacity, knowledge or even the true factual information (thanks to China's concealing the true facts) to cope with it.

Ok just to be clear:


  • You want posters on here to acknowledge the government handling has been pretty good.
  • Because there were just 6 countries in Europe with a worse death rate than us up until 18 December? (I think that's a full month before daily deaths peaked).
  • The first wave was so bad as a result of misinformation coming out of China? Or is that all subsequent waves too?


And no i absolutely wouldn't use woke in the context of criticising gov policy it's become a bit of a lazy catch all used by the right to undermine any opposition because they know it will trigger a certain base. Wokeness is to be aware of societal inequality and injustice.

Nope, this is the point I made...

@Sluffy wrote:I'm not looking for praise of the government, they were only doing their job, I was looking for an acknowledgement from those with a blind hatred of all things Tory, that just because they have different politics to you doesn't mean they are wrong in everything they do.

There is a toxicity on here (and from some/many people in general) that all things Tory are shit and all things 'woke' (am I using the word in the right context - I think I am?) are wonderful, when neither extreme is the case.

To be fair you are the only one on here who will give reasons for what you say and believe in and concede at times that not everything the Tory government has done has always been wrong.

As for the rest who frequently vent their hatred on this thread...

...not a word!

Can't say I'm at all surprised though.

Ok, I might have used the wrong word in woke, I'm still trying to understand how the word is used grammatically as it is still somewhat new to me, so exchange that for anti-Tory sentiment then, as I suspect most of those with the hatred and obssession against them won't be Tory voters.

My point is and always has been that no government is always completely right or completely wrong in what they do.  Unfortunetly the anti-Conservatives seem to believe however that everything the government does is shit - and clearly that simply isn't the case.

I'm not sure why you seem uncertain about my comment on China?  It is widely accepted now that China withheld the true details about the virus at the start of the pandemic on which the modelling of the virus spread and impact was based, it only became truly clear what the world was facing when data from Italy was analysed and the virus was already unstoppable from spreading worldwide by then.  It hit every country in the world (apart from some far flung places) and continued to ripple around it thereafter with the various waves since.

Yes the death rate for the UK peaked in January and I think that is mainly because of the virus rollout that started the month before it.  My point being that like for like before the vaccination became available the death rate had already declined from being the worst in Europe (which we heard so much about from some on here!) to below that of six other countrys including Spain's.  So something caused that, which could only be how the government managed the pandemic compared to how other countrys governments managed theirs. Yet everything they had done was shit according to those on here!

Clearly it wasn't.

703How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 14:48

T.R.O.Y.


Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Yes I  agree with you nothing is as simple as all good or all bad, it would be a mistake to claim otherwise. 

Personally i think they've done an awful job overall, and I'd like to see the public inquiry which has been in the news this week.

704How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 15:18

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
I think this is worth posting up, it is an interview with Mairead McGuinness a European Commisioner today, primarily in respect of Covid vaccine 'nationalism' but what is relevant his her statements on how the pandemic was initially dealt with by all country's not just ours.

Her comments echo mine, mainly that no one was prepared for it and no one dealt with it particularly well.  

This isn't about how the Tory government dealt with it badly, it is how the world dealt with it badly simply because no one had faced such a thing before and had the right answers to it.

We know better now and we have learned from our mistakes and that for the UK can even be proved in the comparative fall in death rates compared to other European country's from the initial stance we took (based on false information from China) to how through a series of measures the government took from then until the middle of December (all of which were routinely called shit on here) actually brought that about.

Anyway the clip -

705How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 15:56

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@Sluffy wrote:I think this is worth posting up, it is an interview with Mairead McGuinness a European Commisioner today, primarily in respect of Covid vaccine 'nationalism' but what is relevant his her statements on how the pandemic was initially dealt with by all country's not just ours.

Her comments echo mine, mainly that no one was prepared for it and no one dealt with it particularly well.  

This isn't about how the Tory government dealt with it badly, it is how the world dealt with it badly simply because no one had faced such a thing before and had the right answers to it.

We know better now and we have learned from our mistakes and that for the UK can even be proved in the comparative fall in death rates compared to other European country's from the initial stance we took (based on false information from China) to how through a series of measures the government took from then until the middle of December (all of which were routinely called shit on here) actually brought that about.

Anyway the clip -

See post 693 above where you can watch what Ian Hislop said on Question Time last week

706How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 16:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@okocha wrote:
See post 693 above where you can watch what Ian Hislop said on Question Time last week
Indeed.

707How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 17:22

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@okocha wrote:
See post 693 above where you can watch what Ian Hislop said on Question Time last week

What point are you trying to make though?

Of course some, lots even, of what the government under Johnson has done is on the face of it very wrong - as Hislop points out with his lampooning of them but that doesn't mean it ALL is.

As I keep on repeating myself, as I seem to have to constantly do on here, we only hear one side of the story and if it 'fits' with our preconceived prejudices and bias we take it as 'facts' that confirm what you believed was happening in the first place is true.

I like to hear both sides of the story and the actual facts as to what really happened (and why) before shouting coruption, cornyism and whatever else from the rooftops like you and others clearly do.

Fwiw it seems Interserve (a British company) which currently holds the contract for the Cabinet Offices Facilities Management.

It was Interserve (now merged with Mitie another British Company) that sub-contracted the work out to Megahertz (which was originally a British Company based in the UK but bought out by a Russian company as stated.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that anyone other than British nationals installed the new facility.

It is simply - and yet again - inuendo, people being led to the conclussions that others want you to make.

Fwiw I watched the Panorama programme on Cashing in on Covid a few days back.

If you watched the programme with a belief already that the government was giving contracts to their mates, then you would be absolutely convinced of it after watching it HOWEVER if instead you watched the programme with an open mind looking for the facts to prove cronyism, then you wouldn't find anything there - there simple was nothing there other than putting 'two and two together and getting five'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000t8td/panorama-cashing-in-on-covid

I know I'm wasting my breath as people simply have closed minds and have already decided what they 'want to believe as happened' but there is simply no facts to prove the case, just inuendo and a hatred of all things Tory - just as it seems with the case Hislop lampoons.

As they say there are none so blind as those that will not see.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/russian-owned-megahertz-downing-street-media-refit_uk_604e42c0c5b672fce4ed8649

I'm not defending Johnson or the Tory government what I am saying is you can't be prejudicial against everything they do (or any other political party for that matter) because they all get somethings right and they all get somethings wrong.

I just ask for proof of what they are accused of doing wrong and not inuendo.

Is that too much for me to ask?

708How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 18:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
"I just ask for proof of what they are accused of doing wrong and not inuendo".


You heard Sluffy, Bob. Very Happy

709How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 18:08

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I'm not making any point: I simply suggested you watch what Hislop had to say and make your own mind up, as you did with Ms McGuinness.

It would be interesting, Sluffy, if you could list all the things that you feel Boris and his ministers should be congratulated for (omitting the roll-out of the vaccine which we can all see the NHS and government have done well)

I remember you saying that comparisons with other countries is unfair, so let's not go down that road.....just a list of great, timely decisions and actions/words.

710How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 22:04

Ten Bobsworth


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@boltonbonce wrote:"I just ask for proof of what they are accused of doing wrong and not inuendo".


You heard Sluffy, Bob. Very Happy
Poor old Sluffy. Forget the innuendo, trying to hold out against the massed ranks of stubborn as couch grass lefties can't be good for anyone's wellbeing.

Anyroad the Rags got beat today which was nice but where was Saint Marcus? I don't suppose he was helping out at the Wythenshawe Food Bank, was he? Maybe he was going to but couldn't find it. 

I'm sorry if I'm too inquisitive but doncha think it's  interesting how nice everyone thinks the Reebok is yet hardly anyone wants to know who paid for it and doncha also think that Okocha's nicefulness is terrific?

711How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 22:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Who did pay for it, Bob?

712How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 22:14

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@okocha wrote:I'm not making any point: I simply suggested you watch what Hislop had to say and make your own mind up, as you did with Ms McGuinness.

It would be interesting, Sluffy, if you could list all the things that you feel Boris and his ministers should be congratulated for (omitting the roll-out of the vaccine which we can all see the NHS and government have done well)

I remember you saying that comparisons with other countries is unfair, so let's not go down that road.....just a list of great, timely decisions and actions/words.

I did say comparisons with other countries should not be considered factual - do you really believe the death statistics from China, Russia, North Korea, Iran and a whole load of others who have obviously hid the truth.  I don't however believe the likes of Spain and Portugal have been telling porkies about them do you?

I also said I wasn't looking to praise the government for doing their job, which the fall in death rate from highest in Europe at the start of the pandemic falling to seventh by December seems to indicate that in comparison to those six country's that overtook us (and probably others too) clearly suggests that the government were dealing better with the pandemic than they were over that period.  I think that is unarguable.

And fwiw, and not that I wished it to happen but the country at the 2019 General Election clearly voted for Johnson's government and it delivered Brexit, unlike May's was unable to.

The alternative to all this would have been a Labour Government led by Corbyn, would they have resolved Brexit one way or the other, or dealt with the pandemic any better?

We'll never know but considering Corbyn and his mates (both MP's and on the NEC) were quickly 'dumped' by the rest of the Labour Party as soon as they decently could, hardly suggests unity within the party does it?

I may as well lob in the anti-semitism too which Corbyn let fester - hardly without sin is he?

As for Hislop, how can anyone make their mind up on his lampoon?

Maybe it is only me but does no one else question what they hear?

I mean is it really likely that a bunch of Russians walk into No. 10 Downing Street and bug the place and nobody thinks anything about it at the time???

Surely you have to have security clearance to get past the main gate let alone inside the building - that I would imagine would undertake extensive vetting or otherwise anyone could turn up and plant a bomb inside let alone a bug!

Also if it is true the company is a subby to Interserve, the it is Interserve and not the government that paid them.

Interserve may well have agreed a price with the government but even if it was for £2.6m if that total is correct, I doubt Megahertz who did the work received that.

Also I would have thought it would be standard practise for the security service at No 10 to continually be sweeping the building and surrounds for any form of breach in security such as listening devises?

I like Hislop he's funny and has a good brain in his head, he got his point across in a very telling way, but when you think in through a bit, it doesn't really stand up - or not at least in the way he makes it out to be.

A russian owned company which was formerly a British company, and who has an international track record of doing such work, was hired as a sub-contractor to a British owned company that had an existing contract with the government to undertake specialist work required by No. 10.

Presumably they quoted for the work and Interserve quoted the government what they (Interserve) would charge for the work to be done.  I assume everybody was ultimately happy with the eventual outcome and a contract was given by Interserve to Megahertz.

No doubt Megahertz had to supply details of all their employees who would need access to No 10 and all were checked out and vetted by the government security services.

It seems more than likely to me that those employed were British nationals, living in Britain, who probably have worked for the British firm (based in Ely, Cambridgeshire I believe - part of the Silicon Fen fwiw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Fen ) for more than a week or two.  I really doubt Igor and Vladimir flew in from the Kremlin to do the job, do you,  although that is clearly the impression you are giving.

It just doesn't seem to stack up when you think about it really does it?

The problem is that absolutely loads of people believe stuff like this to be true without any facts being proved whatsoever - seems you are one of them.

QAnon believers stormed the Capitol when it was in sitting, carry on like we are with all this social media stirring and inuendo and I wonder how long it will take for those who listen only to the voices from social media storm the Houses of Parliament?

Seems to be heading that way with the numbers of people who seem to believe as gospel everything on Twitter and Facebook!

I just don't understand why people are happy to swallow such stuff without seemingly a second thought - I mean you don't have to be Einstein to think 'really, a bunch of Russians have just bugged 10 Downing Street and MI5/MI6/James Bond (or whoever does these things) just let them walk in and do it???'.

713How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 22:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Clever blighters these Russians. This story always makes me smile. Theremin was a genius.

https://hackaday.com/2015/12/08/theremins-bug/

714How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 22:22

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@boltonbonce wrote:Who did pay for it, Bob?

Marc Iles tells us that...

"a new stadium was sought and funded by former chairman Gordon Hargreaves".

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/16390241.macron-rebrand-universitys-historic-links-wanderers/

Very Happy

715How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 22:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Interesting little piece from 1999 in the When Saturday Comes magazine, the only footy mag worth reading. Hargreaves gets a mention.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/32-Managers/4036-todd-man-out

716How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sun Mar 21 2021, 23:50

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I asked if you would kindly list things you would praise the government for......still waiting.....

The point of Hislop's little speech was to to mock the government's poor procurement skills, equally evident throughout the pandemic......not so much the Russian involvement, though that's clearly an issue.

Of course I don't believe everything I read, but, as in a trial, sometimes the evidence is compelling.  

I've just watched BBC News and virtually every item pointed to failures by the government....from lack of action on cladding and costs,  similar lack of action on the long-promised safety arrangements for disabled people living in flats, to willingness to unilaterally and illegally break govt agreements.

Worst? The issue of male violence against women and their right to be heard is met with the astounding decision to make new laws to silence (!) peaceful protest and grant policeMEN powers to physically MANhandle victims. At the same time the government cries out against such restrictions on freedom in China and Russia!

717How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Mar 22 2021, 00:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
In a trial you hear both prosecution and defence.

God help the accused if you only bother to listen to the prosecution side of the story.

I've given you my answer about the government.  

Hislop can mock all he likes, doesn't mean he's right about everything though - I still wait for one piece of hard evidence of corruption, illegality, cronyism or anything else they've been accused of.

You'd think there would be absolutely tons of it considering its apparently been going on for over a year and people with axes to grind like Maughan would probably pay a kings ransom to get their hands on a smoking gun.

But no!

Nothing at all so far...

As for what is on the BBC News, you must have switched on late and missed the police being attacked at that nice peaceful protest in Bristol the injury to police officers, burning of police vehicles and the attempted storming of the police station...

How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 _117655258_police-1

How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 _117655308_hi066358780

How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 _117655310_hi066359602

Tweet from Labour MP for Bristol NW


Tweet from Labour MP for Bristol W and Shadow Cabinet member,


Tweet fromLabour's Shadow Home Secretary



Do you think all those 'rioting' have only bothered with one side of the evidence and found it compelling like you do too...?

Rolling Eyes



Last edited by Sluffy on Mon Mar 22 2021, 04:26; edited 1 time in total

718How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Mar 22 2021, 01:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Statement from the Mayor of Bristol -

How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 38ce054b3d2e4708a7bbbba5259c0bf1

Statement from Marvin Rees on today's protests

The violence and damage that have emerged from today’s protests are unacceptable and have nothing to do with the real work we are doing to tackle political, economic and social inequality.

I recognise the frustrations with the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill. I have major concerns about the Bill myself,  which is poorly thought-out and could impose disproportionate controls on free expression and the right to peaceful protest. It also misses as much as it includes, such as measures that could reduce violence against women and girls.  We will raise our concerns.

Smashing buildings in our city centre, vandalising vehicles, attacking our police will do nothing to lessen the likelihood of the Bill going through. On the contrary, the lawlessness on show will be used as evidence and promote the need for the Bill.

This is a shameful day in an incredible year for Bristol. We have faced times of great confrontation particularly surrounding Black Lives Matter and the events that followed. We have had numerous protests. Our police, city representatives and I have been able to point out with pride that we have faced these moments of conflict without the physical conflict that others have experienced. Those who decided to turn today's protest into a physical confrontation and smash our city have robbed us of this.

What they have done has more to do with self gratification than it has to do with the protection and advancement of those of us from communities most likely to be marginalised and mistreated by our political and legal systems. For five years Bristol has built homes, fed its families, prioritised mental health, recruited black and Asian magistrates, organised work experience for our young people who are least likely to be able to get it. We have addressed poverty and introduced a whole new city approach to welcome in and support refugees and asylum seekers. That's what matters, That is what makes a difference. Smashing buildings, injuring police officers and burning cars will do nothing to support the children experiencing digital exclusion, or the women, men and children looking for refuge from domestic violence and abuse.

Speaking as someone himself - and whose brothers and sisters, along with our poorest communities - would be disproportionately likely to receive injustice, today’s actions do nothing to bring us closer to justice.

https://news.bristol.gov.uk/news/revised-statement-from-marvin-rees-on-todays-protests


A real good statement I thought.

Again though, do you honestly think those 'rioting' have heard both sides of the story or do you think they just 'believe' all the shit that's been thrown against the government and they just accept it all as gospel?

To my mind fwiw I can see an attempt from some to create an 'us' and 'them' form of politics, similar to how it has got in America, where people prefer to stand behind Trump rather than stand with the opposition party - even when they 'know' they are right!

Politics as I keep saying has two rules, first to gain power, second once you have it, to keep it.

It's pretty clear to me that Labour can't beat the Conservatives in a straight fight at the polls, they need seats in Scotland that they used to rely on but are no longer there for them.

The only way back in the short term is to make the Tory's look unappealing to the masses so not to vote them in again.

Certainly seems to be working at the moment in Bristol!

I wonder what Maugham and his buddies thinks of the happenings in Bristol tonight...?

Utterly appalled or secretly thrilled?

I do hope it is the former as I am.

719How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Mar 22 2021, 07:57

Ten Bobsworth


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@Sluffy wrote:

Marc Iles tells us that...

"a new stadium was sought and funded by former chairman Gordon Hargreaves".

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/16390241.macron-rebrand-universitys-historic-links-wanderers/

Very Happy
Iles is a two bit rabble-rouser and a bit of a twe*p imo, Sluffy, but there's plenty of twe*ps that can't grasp it.



Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Mon Mar 22 2021, 08:24; edited 1 time in total

720How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Mar 22 2021, 08:18

Ten Bobsworth


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@boltonbonce wrote:Interesting little piece from 1999 in the When Saturday Comes magazine, the only footy mag worth reading. Hargreaves gets a mention.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/32-Managers/4036-todd-man-out
Thanks for that, Boncey. It is an 'interesting little piece' if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

I'm in no doubt that the BEN reported that Todd chucked it in over the Frandsen sale but I have no recollection of it being reported in the same context as Parkinson did.

Parkinson unfortunately does not deal with 'what happened next', which is a shame. This is what  he says he's doing now.

https://www.garyparkinsonmedia.com/about-me

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 24 of 26]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum