Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CD or LP?

+6
aaron_bwfc
Banks of the Croal
Hipster_Nebula
Mr Magoo
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CD or LP? Empty CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sorry Magoo, not a thread about cross-dressing.

Those of you that follow my work closely will know I collect hip-hop CD albums from the 80's & 90's. To be honest it takes up a lot of my spare cash, I regularly pay £50+ for a CD.

However, I've recently seen a resurgence in vinyl to the point where major labels have now started pressing vinyl copies of new releases in much greater numbers.

And with the youth of today obsessed with all things MP3, my question is this: has the CD had its day? I have a huge collection, probably worth a fair bit, but it bothers me that the CD will be like Betamax before long and my collection worthless.

What do you think, is it time to sell my CDs?

2CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nope! Vinyl is a thing of the past. I have a good collection of LP's and seven singles but I never ever play them. Very few people have a turntable nowadays.

CD's are much more compact and take up far less space plus the acoustics are better.

3CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:31

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

To be honest I miss Lps, it was a more personal experience playing them.
Also Nat you said you wouldn't mention my cross dressing on here.

4CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Nope! Vinyl is a thing of the past.

Vinyl is on the increase big time, you need to get out more RT.

5CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:49

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I haven't bought a CD since early 2000. I think the last one was Americana by the Offspring, or actually i think i have one by one by the foo fighters.

once MP3's came about, i was done with CD's.

I'd love to have a nice collection of Vinyl but I'm just not rich enough. It's a rich mans (woman's) pursuit IMO.

6CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 12:13

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I've got a Turntable that you can connect to your computer via USB, So i can record from my old Vinyl and make my own CD's.

I also sometimes look round Charity shops for Vinyl LP's.

Not bought any New Vinyl records yet, but will do in the future.

7CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 12:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Banks of the Croal wrote:I've got a Turntable that you can connect to your computer via USB, So i can record from my old Vinyl and make my own CD's.

What's the sound quality like?

8CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 12:47

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Banks of the Croal wrote:I've got a Turntable that you can connect to your computer via USB, So i can record from my old Vinyl and make my own CD's.

What's the sound quality like?

And how much does one of them set you back?

9CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 13:18

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I think CDs are on the way out. They won't be replaced by a resurgence in vinyl but by downloads of various kinds. This is bad news for me because I care about the quality of the sound which is pretty poor on most downloads. I used to have a decent turntable but found it increasingly difficult to get LPs as most music began to be released on CDs only, so bought a CD player. The current interest in vinyl is a cult thing, the masses will soon lose interest.

As usual it's a money thing. Many people choose to make a free copy of the music rather than pay money for it, which is a pity as some of it goes to the artist.

10CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 13:22

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I've got a got a Project Debut Mark 111, sound quality is superb, cost me 230 pounds a few years ago.

Google Project turntables, look at the prices and reviews.

Or any other's, check out Ebay also.

11CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 13:30

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have an Ipod, but I'm just as obsessive about my CD collection as I am about my Itunes library.
I don't listen to any of my CD's directly - I buy them, rip the songs from them to my computer, and the CD just gets put with my collection, seldom to be used again.

I could just download music from the internet for free and I wouldn't know the difference, and I do when the CD I want is too dear but I like actually owning it in physical form.

12CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 14:17

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Still have all my vinyls what I bought from early age to about mid 80's and still have all my CD's from thereon in - In fact I would still rathyer buy a CD then download, although number of CD's I buy nowadays has been reduced to basically the Now albums (except I will be buying the new Ladyhawke CD when its released at end of March/beginning of April). And yes all my CD's are in alphabetical order.

13CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 14:18

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OCD ?

14CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 14:26

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:OCD ?

Just a tad!

15CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 14:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't feel shame, I also have my CDs in alphabetical order. Why wouldn't you?

16CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 14:46

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't feel ashamed - that comes with it all being numbered and catalogued on disk (that includes all singles, LP's, CD's, VHS, DVD's and books)

17CD or LP? Empty Re: CD or LP? Tue Feb 21 2012, 15:38

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm still transferring my tapes to my pc !! I think I should have done it some time ago, as they're pretty crap. Done the CD's, but they're lying all over the house. Have to ask the missus to tidy up I suppose. I have two turntables, both as part of a stack system, Technics, and Sansui. Just collecting dust now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum