You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Summer holidays advice?

Summer holidays advice?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

31Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 10 2014, 14:29

We didn't stop at Ithaca, we sailed up the channel past it but the boat did stop at Aristotle Onassis' personal island and we went snorkeling on the beach (as all beaches in Greece are publicly owned - the guide just said "Don't go into the bushes because the Onassis family guards can legally shoot you" - true story).

The next stop was Nidri on the main land and that was a lovely harbour.

We then sailed to a hidden cave in the rocks were some Greek fella hid his submarine during the war and waged a one-man campaign against the German Med Fleet - very interesting.

On the way back through the channel between Ithaca and Cephalonia, the tide runs like Usain Bolt and it was a brilliant white water ride.

Really enjoyed it and reminiscing like this is tempting me to see what late deals are on the Thomson website.... Very Happy

32Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 10 2014, 14:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
OneFinFreedman wrote:Off to Kefelonia in 10 days. Think the Mrs only chose it because she liked Captain Corellis Mandolin.  Shocked

OneF, if you are planning on doing a bit of sightseeing while you are there then I can recommend a trip to the underground lake. It wasn't discovered all that long ago until the roof collapsed. You go into a cave and then get on a boat. the lake is freshwater and freezing cold. Well worth a visit.

33Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 10 2014, 14:33

@Reebok Trotter wrote:
OneFinFreedman wrote:Off to Kefelonia in 10 days. Think the Mrs only chose it because she liked Captain Corellis Mandolin.  Shocked

OneF, if you are planning on doing a bit of sightseeing while you are there then I can recommend a trip to the underground lake. It wasn't discovered all that long ago until the roof collapsed. You go into a cave and then get on a boat. the lake is freshwater and freezing cold. Well worth a visit.

...and it's the clearest water I've ever seen.

It's 70 feet deep and you can see straight down to the bottom.

Like RT says, well worth it, mate.

34Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 10 2014, 15:49

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I like Kefalonia and most of the Greek Islands TBF - it's the food, the sea, the weather and the opaque light on balmy evenings that I love. If you don't go in high season try getting a flight to Athens then island hopping starting from Pyraeus. Basically pick an island and get a B&B when you get there - always somewhere available and usually v.cheap. Stay as long as you wish and jump on the next ferry to your next choice. Took the kids doing that when they were young and they loved it - especially not knowing whether or not we'd have to sleep on the beach that night - it was a big adventure for them.

35Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 10 2014, 17:58

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@wanderlust wrote:I like Kefalonia and most of the Greek Islands TBF - it's the food, the sea, the weather and the opaque light on balmy evenings that I love. If you don't go in high season try getting a flight to Athens then island hopping starting from Pyraeus. Basically pick an island and get a B&B when you get there - always somewhere available and usually v.cheap. Stay as long as you wish and jump on the next ferry to your next choice. Took the kids doing that when they were young and they loved it - especially not knowing whether or not we'd have to sleep on the beach that night - it was a big adventure for them.

That would be my idea of a perfect holiday but my other half would have none of it. Two bloody giant suitcases for two weeks, packing and unpacking clothes she is never going to bloody wear!

I could manage perfectly well with a backpack containing just a pair of jeans, a pair of shorts, flip flops, a couple of T shirts and the ubiquitous speedos. Heaven!

36Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 10 2014, 19:21

Leeds_Trotter

Leeds_Trotter
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I know you said you want somewhere different to Spain, but me and our lass are off to Salou next month for 10 days, I've been to Salou 2 times before and loved it each time. I'm alot older now and I reckon i'll enjoy it even more being an adult. Thing about Salou is that it's great for all the family. They have a great town centre to have a mooch around. In addition to that, they isn't just one beach, they have a few so if you want to relax peacefully, you can go to one of the more secluded ones. From what I remember they have some really nice bars as well as a few night clubs. Not to mention to massive theme park they have there called Port Aventura which also has a water park joining on to it. As well as that there is also other water park in La Pineda which isn't that far from Salou. When I first went to Salou I went on the Barca tour which included a trip to a Zoo, a trip and a tour round the Nou Camp and then the afternoon in Barca town centre itself. There is so much that Salou has to offer but I'd be going on forever if I told you them. Here is a little bit more info on it. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g562814-c116249/Salou:Spain:Salou.The.Main.Resort.html

37Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 10 2014, 19:32

Me and a couple of mates brought a 4 week train pass for Europe a couple of years ago, did 10 countries over 6 weeks, if anybody gets the chance to do it I'd highly recommend it amazing value for money and we found some gems along the way. Slovenia was a particular surprise, the capital Ljubljana is well worth a visit, we went from there to Lake Bled which is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen, especially Vintgar Gorge which is in the mountains surrounding the lake. Since I've gone all my family have been on my recommendation and loved it. 

Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Vintgar-Gorge_0

Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Bled_Overview

38Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Fri Jul 11 2014, 16:17

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:
@wanderlust wrote:I like Kefalonia and most of the Greek Islands TBF - it's the food, the sea, the weather and the opaque light on balmy evenings that I love. If you don't go in high season try getting a flight to Athens then island hopping starting from Pyraeus. Basically pick an island and get a B&B when you get there - always somewhere available and usually v.cheap. Stay as long as you wish and jump on the next ferry to your next choice. Took the kids doing that when they were young and they loved it - especially not knowing whether or not we'd have to sleep on the beach that night - it was a big adventure for them.

That would be my idea of a perfect holiday but my other half would have none of it. Two bloody giant suitcases for two weeks, packing and unpacking clothes she is never going to bloody wear!

I could manage perfectly well with a backpack containing just a pair of jeans, a pair of shorts, flip flops, a couple of T shirts and the ubiquitous speedos. Heaven!
I know exactly what you mean. My suitcase is a repository for the missus' overflow.

39Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 14 2014, 19:58

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Returned from Stoupa on the Peloponnese last Sunday. Fuck all to do but chillax, top drawer.

40Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 14 2014, 20:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Soul Kitchen wrote:Returned from Stoupa on the Peloponnese last Sunday. Fuck all to do but chillax, top drawer.

Not been there but my folks went for a month a few years ago and absolutely loved the place.

41Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 14 2014, 20:48

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Been 5 times RT, not one for returning but the place has a special draw about for some reason!?

http://www.zorbas.de/webcam/eindex640x480.php

42Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 14 2014, 20:50

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
As well as Stoupa they also recommend Parga. Not been to either yet.

43Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 14 2014, 20:55

Parga's fantastic.

It's relatively unspoilt and still retains a bit of the fishing-village vibe.

One of the best places I've ever stayed in.

44Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 14 2014, 21:22

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Cheers Breaders, that's another one for my bucket list.

45Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 14 2014, 22:10

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Went to Parga in 2011 for the second time, first being in '92. Excellent resort, quite unspoiled but a bit hectic in August I believe.
Been all over Greece over the years and can name places that didn't float my boat as well as those that did. I find the Greeks a very friendly bunch, if somewhat laid back. At least they take your money off you with a smile, unlike some nationalities that just grunt!!

46Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 17 2014, 19:43

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Soul Kitchen wrote:Went to Parga in 2011 for the second time, first being in '92. Excellent resort, quite unspoiled but a bit hectic in August I believe.
Been all over Greece over the years and can name places that didn't float my boat as well as those that did. I find the Greeks a very friendly bunch, if somewhat laid back. At least they take your money off you with a smile, unlike some nationalities that just grunt!!

Couldn't agree more. I have done quite a few Greek Islands over the years. They are all different but all the same if that makes any sense!

47Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 17 2014, 19:44

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
If anyone is contemplating going abroad this summer then may I suggest giving Malaysian Airlines the swerve. They are having a bad time of it of late.

48Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 17 2014, 19:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Reebok Trotter wrote:If anyone is contemplating going abroad this summer then may I suggest giving Malaysian Airlines the swerve. They are having a bad time of it of late.
I agree, absolutely shocking what has just happened!!!

2 plane crashes now in 3 months.

49Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 17 2014, 20:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
What a great opportunity for Blatter to pull the plug on the World Cup being held in Russia in 2018.

50Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Thu Jul 17 2014, 20:10

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Sluffy wrote:Even before I read Banksy's reply above, I was going to say Florida too.

People may think it is a bit corny but the weather is wonderful (outside tornado season!), the kids and Mrs will love it and you will end up enjoying it yourself too.

The theme parks, and water parks are exceptionally clean and well run and everybody are happy wherever you go.

It will set you back a few grand but if you think of it as a once in a life time holiday, it is well worth the cost (so much so that I've actually done it three times now!).

There's other great stuff to do away from the theme parks such as Daytona (if you like motor racing), Cape Canaveral (if you like space ships), the beaches (you can sail with dolphins if you like) plus NBA Baskett Ball -Orlando Magic, NFL Football - Tampa Bay Buccaneers, NHL Ice Hockey - Tampa Bay Lightening and NBA Baseball Tampa Bay Rays all within a couple of hours drive away.  

There's even the Tampa Bay Rowdies if you wanted to watch a proper footy match!

To be honest even with all that lot the kids and Mrs still just wanted to stay in Disney and the other parks.

The highlight of the lot was swimming with Dolphins - everybody loved that.

As I say it is quite expensive but well worth it imo.

And if you miss the British football, whilst it is still in season, there are quite a few British themed bars - at least one just off I-Drive, and a mate of mine actually owns Cricks-52 just outside St Petersburg (near Busch Gardens - well "near" by US standards!)

51Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 28 2014, 22:22

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm looking to go down to Dawlish in Devon for a week early September by train.

Anyone reckon it's a good price for 2 people from Bolton return for £121.70?

52Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 28 2014, 22:31

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Use the trainline - don't they offer good prices when booked in advance

53Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 28 2014, 22:45

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@BoltonTillIDie wrote:Use the trainline - don't they offer good prices when booked in advance

I got my price from there plus with using one of those 2 together rail cards.

The only trouble is these tickets have 4 changes each way and are supposed to be advance tickets.  Mad

54Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 28 2014, 22:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
BTID is right to suggest you shop around but yes even if you take the price you've got it seems reasonable to me, as you would probably spend that and more just on petrol to drive there and back.

Have a great time when you go - don't forget to bring us all some rock back!

55Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Mon Jul 28 2014, 23:36

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
We don't want your type in Devon, go to fecking Cornwall you infestation you.

Na your ok KP your 70 miles away from me  Very Happy

56Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Tue Jul 29 2014, 12:55

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Mr Magoo wrote:We don't want your type in Devon, go to fecking Cornwall you infestation you.

Na your ok KP your 70 miles away from me  Very Happy

Cheer Magoo  Rolling Eyes

Do you think it will be warm enough for a swim in the sea the first week of September?

It must be over 15 years since I last visited Dawlish! Smile

BTW where have you been hiding for the last few days?

Last edited by karlypants on Tue Jul 29 2014, 12:58; edited 1 time in total

57Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Tue Jul 29 2014, 12:57

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Sluffy wrote:BTID is right to suggest you shop around but yes even if you take the price you've got it seems reasonable to me, as you would probably spend that and more just on petrol to drive there and back.

Have a great time when you go - don't forget to bring us all some rock back!
Thanks Sluffy, although you have more chance of getting some clotted cream  Shocked   :biggrin:

58Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Tue Jul 29 2014, 13:04

Does Warren still live in Dawlish?

59Summer holidays advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer holidays advice? on Tue Jul 29 2014, 13:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Breadman wrote:Does Warren still live in Dawlish?
Didn't he move round the corner? Very Happy

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum