Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup

+22
guest66
terenceanne
scottjames30
Tigermin
aaron_bwfc
Bolton Nuts
Hipster_Nebula
observer
Banks of the Croal
Copper Dragon
doffcocker
wanderlust
wessy
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
Boggersbelief
Norpig
boltonbonce
Reebok Trotter
Soul Kitchen
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

91Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 10:18

Bolton Nuts

Admin

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:It was a poor game today. There was nothing between the two sides. We were toothless in attack, which was expected. I'm not bothered that we're out of the cup to be honest, we don't have the squad at the moment for more games.

McNaughton seemed to be playing at left back for Cardiff today and he didn't look out of place. We really need to try and sort out a deal for him, as I think he's ideal for us.

I don't know why Dougie seems to be such a Joe Mason fan, he didn't do anything imo and Dougie would be better off looking at other potential strikers.
McNaughton won't come here. I'd like him to but it won't happen this season at least. 

Joe Mason had a bad day but he IS a pretty good player and given how woeful our attackers were and how wasteful I think if we could get him back we should BUT not as a bloody bench warmer. 

For the most part I think this was a much improved performance after Reading but that's not saying much and it showed up our fatal weaknesses in both defence and attack again. Lonergan dropped a clanger true but the defence should have dealt with it well before that happened. For my money Lonergan has been good since he came in and this was the first real mistake I've seen him make. I just hope DF doesn't use it as an excuse to put Bogdan back in on Tuesday because I think Andy's done enough to be forgiven one slip and deserves a little faith that he's going to put it right against QPR.

Attack, well, what can I really say. Moritz should have started, Odelusi is OK but not mega special imo, Cravies was clearly not sharp and little wonder given how long he's had his ass on the bench before today. 

This might well have been a very different result if CYL had legs about two inches longer, that chance at the very end of the first half was begging for just a tiny touch to send it the right side of the post. That said we were being pushed back for a lot of the game, yes we had some periods of being on the front foot but we seemed to run out of steam and ideas very quickly every time and reverted to hoof it and hope. 

I'm disappointed we're out of the cup, even more so that we pretty much shot ourselves because Cardiff didn't look like A premier League outfit to me. We made one mistake, got punished for it as we always do and yet again lacked that cutting edge that any club wanting to climb the league or do well in a cup has to have. We frankly should have won this one, we didn't because of some poor individual displays and a clear lack of ideas and creativity. It was an improvement of sorts but it really only highlighted our weaknesses again.
Good points.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

92Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 10:39

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:To be honest, I'm getting tired of the 'We don't have the players' theme that is even now being put out by the manager. We DO have the players for football at this level, what we don't have is the passion, pride, or, more importantly, the technical know-how. I sometimes wonder what changes would be made if, for example, Big Sam came back, but one thing I do know, our performances would be changed, if not turned around. Its about time we stopped bleating about the quality of the players, and made, (helped), them earn their pay.

It won't happen whilst Freedman's in charge he's utterly and absolutely clueless. Most of the under-performers, even his myopic advocates on here must accept, are his own signings so it's no god continually blaming his predecessors, or the fact he's no Money. He's made over 20 signings, loan and permanent since he's been here and none of them work, in fact not one can consider themselves a regular first teamer other than through necessity. Bleating on about youth is now wearing very thin, recruiting for the future is bluff, we need action now not tomorrow. It's ok getting rid of our high earners but if you're only going to reinvest in crap what's the point? It just means we get worse and worse. Many managers have and are working under much worse constraints so please leave out the hardship garbage. All of these problems including the wrong team set ups, confidence lacking players and poor tactics are down to one thing. Freedman, he has to go and go now before he destroys our club even more than he has so far.

93Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 10:53

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Dougie certainly getting the backing of this guy. 

Good to see. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I can understand the frustration of the fans but is this kind of abuse really necessary?

94Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 11:30

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Dougie certainly getting the backing of this guy. 

Good to see. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I can understand the frustration of the fans but is this kind of abuse really necessary?

No, it's most definately not. I'm at least as frustrated as anyone over Freedman' continuation here but resorting to insults like that is unacceptable. Sadly we do have some less than intelligent and inarticulate idiots who can only use that language rather than make their case intellectually.

95Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 12:03

Whitesince63 wrote:He's made over 20 signings, loan and permanent since he's been here and none of them work, in fact not one can consider themselves a regular first teamer other than through necessity. Bleating on about youth is now wearing very thin, recruiting for the future is bluff, we need action now not tomorrow. It's ok getting rid of our high earners but if you're only going to reinvest in crap what's the point? 

None of his signings work? None of them can consider themselves first teamers? Danns, Moritz, Beckford, Medo, Spearing, Baptiste, McNaughton, Dawson - Not one of these worked or could have considered themselves first teamers? 

This cliché of 'throw the youth in' is getting really old, if they're not ready (and we've seen nothing to suggest they are) then it's no good throwing them in yet. He's said himself he's expecting them to start coming through next season.

Recruiting for the future is a bluff? He's signed more youth team players in 15 months with us than I can recall Megson/Coyle doing throughout their combined tenure. The fact you won't acknowledge this because you want instant results only goes to show you don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid, players need time to develop.

96Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 13:40

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Dougie's record with the loans isn't too bad considering it's a hit and miss business. 

How many of us had heard of Dawson? not many I'd suggest, Liam Feeney? Dogshit apparently, came in and provided a spark, Neil Danns, "fcking shit" apparently, now certainly one of our better players. Moritz? (short deal) "he only signs his mates doh" fan favourite now. 

Obviously not all of them work out, Butterfield springs to mind, clearly a poor choice there, but you'll find that with most managers working in the loan market, the scrap heap basically. 

utilisation of the players is probably an area more ripe for criticism I'd wager.

97Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 13:57

Hipster_Nebula wrote:utilisation of the players is probably an area more ripe for criticism I'd wager.

Agreed, the constant switching of the attacking midfielders/strikers can't help to build understanding. A bit of a problem is that both Moritz's and Mavie's best position is at number 10 but neither get a run there for more than 2 games at a time. Partly due to fitness but partly Dougie's rotation. A proper run in that role behind a striker though and we'll see much better interplay in the final 3rd.

98Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 15:41

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

bwfc1874 wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:He's made over 20 signings, loan and permanent since he's been here and none of them work, in fact not one can consider themselves a regular first teamer other than through necessity. Bleating on about youth is now wearing very thin, recruiting for the future is bluff, we need action now not tomorrow. It's ok getting rid of our high earners but if you're only going to reinvest in crap what's the point? 

None of his signings work? None of them can consider themselves first teamers? Danns, Moritz, Beckford, Medo, Spearing, Baptiste, McNaughton, Dawson - Not one of these worked or could have considered themselves first teamers? 

This cliché of 'throw the youth in' is getting really old, if they're not ready (and we've seen nothing to suggest they are) then it's no good throwing them in yet. He's said himself he's expecting them to start coming through next season.

Recruiting for the future is a bluff? He's signed more youth team players in 15 months with us than I can recall Megson/Coyle doing throughout their combined tenure. The fact you won't acknowledge this because you want instant results only goes to show you don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid, players need time to develop.

74' if you're going to respond to a post then at least read it until you understand it. Secondly don't put things in there that weren't said. None of those players you named can consider themselves first choice because they spend as much time out of the team as in it. The simple fact is none of them are good enough. 

No problem signing kids for the years to come, any manager with the academy we have would do that. I didn't say throw untried and inexperienced young players in but in case you hadn't noticed, we are only just outside the bottom 3 and could well be in it before we next play at home. Next year isn't good enough we need players who can perform now so we stay up. I personally think we're in serious, serious danger of going down under Freedman. Sadly you're the kind who will allow it to happen with your pathetic, myopic illusion of him. Not me who doesn't know what he's talking about 74 and I'll have no pleasure in reminding you of that in Div 1 next year.

99Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 15:41

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:It was a poor game today. There was nothing between the two sides. We were toothless in attack, which was expected. I'm not bothered that we're out of the cup to be honest, we don't have the squad at the moment for more games.

McNaughton seemed to be playing at left back for Cardiff today and he didn't look out of place. We really need to try and sort out a deal for him, as I think he's ideal for us.

I don't know why Dougie seems to be such a Joe Mason fan, he didn't do anything imo and Dougie would be better off looking at other potential strikers.
McNaughton won't come here. I'd like him to but it won't happen this season at least. 

Well, Cardiff are due to sign Fabio from Man U and I reckon we have a great chance of signing McNaughton.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

100Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 15:53

Whitesince63 wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

74' if you're going to respond to a post then at least read it until you understand it. Secondly don't put things in there that weren't said. None of those players you named can consider themselves first choice because they spend as much time out of the team as in it. The simple fact is none of them are good enough. 

No problem signing kids for the years to come, any manager with the academy we have would do that. I didn't say throw untried and inexperienced young players in but in case you hadn't noticed, we are only just outside the bottom 3 and could well be in it before we next play at home. Next year isn't good enough we need players who can perform now so we stay up. I personally think we're in serious, serious danger of going down under Freedman. Sadly you're the kind who will allow it to happen with your pathetic, myopic illusion of him. Not me who doesn't know what he's talking about 74 and I'll have no pleasure in reminding you of that in Div 1 next year.

What have I put in there that wasn't in your post?

All of the above were or are regularly in the first team. If you don't think any of them are good enough, then I'd like to know who in our squad you think is?

Clearly Myopic is your favourite word at the moment, but Im not claiming Freedman's done a great job this season or that we aren't in a relegation fight. Im just a little more realistic about what our problems are than you. Stating that all of the above players aren't good enough is wrong IMO, and Im not sure how you can make a judgement like that when you've refused to see any games under Freedman.

101Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 16:25

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

bwfc1874 wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

What have I put in there that wasn't in your post?

All of the above were or are regularly in the first team. If you don't think any of them are good enough, then I'd like to know who in our squad you think is?

Clearly Myopic is your favourite word at the moment, but Im not claiming Freedman's done a great job this season or that we aren't in a relegation fight. Im just a little more realistic about what our problems are than you. Stating that all of the above players aren't good enough is wrong IMO, and Im not sure how you can make a judgement like that when you've refused to see any games under Freedman.

Look 74, you and I will never agree on Freedman ok? You think you're realistic. Well realistic is opening your eyes to what's really happening which you clearly don't want to do. Just think of the players we had in the past and compare them to the dross we have now. No I don't think they're anywhere near good enough and I think our league position tells me that. I've seen plenty of Freedman's team thank you to know how bad they are, although I could be wrong and it may just be the incomprehensible tactics Freedman uses or his arrogant, unlikeable attitude, his lack of man management capability or his stubborn refusal to accept his selections don't work.

It could be any of these things but ultimately it doesn't matter because whatever it is it's getting worse and as long as he's here that's the way it will be. Anyway, just don't read my posts any more because we'll never agree on this or anything else.

102Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 16:42

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote: Just think of the players we had in the past and compare them to the dross we have now.
We had money and the lure of premiership football back then so it is silly of you to compare.

103Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 16:58

Whitesince63 wrote:No I don't think they're anywhere near good enough and I think our league position tells me that. 

So who in the squad is good enough?

104Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 17:38

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We'd have had Wigan at home had we beat Cardiff. This could have been out year!

105Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 17:53

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Culcheth_White wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Well, Cardiff are due to sign Fabio from Man U and I reckon we have a great chance of signing McNaughton.

Culceth even if Cardiff get all the players this article lists it won't matter. We won't get McNaughton, the club will spout the drivel of 'we tried to do a deal but couldn't quite get it together in time' assuming they even bother to enquire. He might want to come here but mark my words, he won't, not unless it's in the summer and Cardiff are willing to loan him out again.

106Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 17:59

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Mcnaughton is out of contract in the summer, so Cardiff can't loan him out again unless he signs a new deal.

107Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 18:26

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:We'd have had Wigan at home had we beat Cardiff. This could have been out year!

I was thinking the same thing myself. The top four drawing each other will make it an interesting weekend.

108Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 18:34

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Culcheth_White wrote:Mcnaughton is out of contract in the summer,  so Cardiff can't loan him out again unless he signs a new deal.
If that's the case it makes it even LESS likely we'll sign him now. Dougie will be told (in my opinion) to wait till the summer and take him as a free. I doubt we'll even do a pre-contract with McNaughton and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he winds up somewhere else because he's a pretty good player and I can see quite a few clubs at our level wanting him.

109Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:22

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Am I glad I didn't go, FA cup and he puts out a team that at best maybe just mabe have scraped a win, then he plays the same old inffective formation, for christ sake this was the FA cup nothing to lose so go for it with the youngsters. I just dont understand the guys thinking at all, If theres a God he will be gone tomorrow.

110Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:58

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff

IN BRIEF

Wanderers' exited the FA Cup with Budweiser at fourth round stage following a 1-0 defeat at home to Premier League outfit Cardiff City.

Following a goalless first half, the visitors proceeded to take the lead five minutes after the restart through substitute Fraizer Campbell who slotted home from close range after Andrew Lonergan lost his grip on the ball.

The Whites did throw men forward in a bid to rescue the tie, but their efforts were to prove fruitless as the Bluebirds held out to progress.

TEAM NEWS

Dougie Freedman made three changes to the side which started against Reading last time out, with Craig Davies, Medo and Chris Eagles coming into the first eleven in place of David Ngog, Darren Pratley and Mark Davies.

The visitors’ side also saw the inclusion of two former Wanderers loanees in the form of Kevin McNaughton and Joe Mason.

FIRST HALF

It was clear to see from the outset that both sides were keen to mark their territory early on, with Peter Whittingham threatening for the visitors while Davies and Neil Danns combined well inside four minutes.

Cardiff would enjoy the first real opportunity of the game however with seven minutes on the clock as both Mason and Aron Gunnarsson unleashed efforts which were blocked by the Bolton backline before Chung-Yong Lee smuggled the ball to safety.

Wanderers responded almost immediately though, with Eagles’ lofty ball into the area being cleared away by Ben Turner with Davies ready to pounce while the former’s shot from the resulting corner was deflected past the post.

The chance appeared to breathe life into the hosts as Danns played a beautifully crafted ball into the path of Eagles soon after, but the winger’s pull back eluded the advancing Bolton strike force.

Following a spurt of pressure, the tempo of the game appeared to lull somewhat with the majority of play taking place in the middle third of the pitch.

Chung-Yong Lee did unleash an ambitious effort from just outside the area with 20 minutes on the clock, but the South Korean’s shot flew just wide of the upright.

With the ascendancy falling in Cardiff’s favour after a period of frustration for both sides, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side almost snatched the lead on the half hour mark as Mark Hudson’s header floated across the face of goal, but nobody was able to meet it to Wanderers’ relief.

As the half drew to its conclusion, Magnus Wolff Eikrem enjoyed a chance for the Bluebirds but couldn’t convert, while Chung-Yong spurned a glorious opportunity as he scuffed his shot through a crowded penalty area to ensure that the first period would end goalless.

SECOND HALF

Wanderers started the second period with gusto as Jay Spearing and Chung-Yong Lee combined to set up Davies for a free header, but the frontman was deemed to be offside.

No sooner had the Whites enjoyed an opportunity to take the lead however, Cardiff proceeded to open the scoring in fortuitous circumstances in the 50th minute as substitute Fraizer Campbell capitalised on a mistake from Andrew Lonergan before slotting the ball home from close range.

The goal had clearly given the Bluebirds a much needed confidence boost, with Wanderers visibly disappointed to find themselves behind following such a solid first half performance.

Campbell almost had his second of the game shortly after following chaos in the Bolton penalty area, but the striker’s header was well over the crossbar.

Having weathered a period of Cardiff pressure, Wanderers almost snatched an equaliser as Danns put David Marshall under the cosh as he forced the goalkeeper into a smart save following an impressive run.

Davies was next to test the Cardiff keeper as his shot deflected off Kevin Theophile-Catherine, but the shot stopper did well to prevent his effort from sneaking in at the near post.

Frustration was clearly setting in for the Whites as a solid Cardiff defence stood firm, but their prayers were almost answered as Marshall pulled off a superb reflex save to prevent Alex Baptiste’s curling shot which had taken a deflection off Turner finding the back of the net.

Sensing that the tide could be about to turn in Wanderers’ favour, Dougie Freedman proceeded to throw Andre Moritz and Sanmi Odelusi into the mix in a bid to pull his side level.

The introduction of the pair almost worked instant dividends as the former whipped a dangerous free-kick into the area, but Chung-Yong Lee was unable to get his header on target with the goal at his mercy.

As the clock ran down, Wanderers were left shouting for a penalty kick as Matt Mills went down inside the area but the referee was unmoved while Campbell almost put the result beyond doubt on the stroke of full time, but the striker's effort fizzed past the post.

Despite a late rally however, Wanderers' efforts to force a replay were to be in vain as the Bluebirds held out for the victory.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum