Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goran Popov

+8
carrs
wanderlust
aaron_bwfc
luckyPeterpiper
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
Keegan
Sluffy
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Goran Popov Empty Goran Popov Tue 11 Feb - 18:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

West Brom story defender Goran Popov hopes to seal a loan move to Bolton before the weekend despite the transfer being called off dramatically last night.

The Macedonia international, who is out of favour at The Hawthorns, is hopeful of joining the Trotters before their Championship game at Millwall on Saturday.

The move looks likely to go ahead despite a dramatic 11th-hour hitch last night that saw Popov return to the West Midlands from the Bolton training ground.

The Baggies agreed a loan with Wanderers for the 29-year-old but, with Popov already on loan at The Hawthorns from Dynamo Kiev, the Premier League and Football League refused to sanction the transfer.

However, further talks have taken place today and the clubs are now confident they can complete the deal.

Popov had travelled to Lancashire to complete the move but was forced to board a train back to the Midlands when it did not go ahead.

The hitch was caused by regulations stating Football League sides can only loan players from English clubs outside the transfer window.

Bolton argued they were loaning Popov from Albion but the authorities were concerned he was technically being loaned from his Ukranian parent club.

The parties now appear to have made headway through the legal minefield and Popov should complete the move this week, although the Trotters had hoped to have him in their team for tonight’s home game against Burnley.

They have been without a recognised left-back since Marc Tierney broke his leg in October.

Popov returned to The Hawthorns last summer for a second season-long loan but has made just two Premier League appearances, the last of which was an error-strewn game in the 2-2 draw with Villa at The Hawthorns in Novemver.

He has not figured in a matchday squad under new boss Pepe Mel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Tue 11 Feb - 19:17

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Anybody else ecstatic at the prospect of loaning an error-prone Macedonian international?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

3Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Tue 11 Feb - 19:51

Don't diss the Macedonian Massive.

Alexander the Great was a Macedonian.

And he conquered most of the known world by the age of 30.

In a frock.

Not sure if he could play left-back, though......

4Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Tue 11 Feb - 23:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As if Dougie would play him at left-back!

5Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 0:44

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

.....and he boarded a train back to the Midlands. He must be insignificant if he got the train. More like a chauffeured limo

6Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 9:14

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So now we're borrowing a player from a club who borrowed the player from somewhere else and decided he isn't what they want?  Shocked 

I'm not exactly filled with confidence by the error-strewn performance comments in the article either.  :wtf2: 

But then I suppose since I have ZERO confidence in the chairman and manager now this matters very little. Even if we get this guy and he turns out to be world class Dougie will soon have him playing like a Sunday League player. The very last of any faith I had in the club's current hierarchy died last night. We could transplant the entire Barcelona 1st team to The Reebok and still Dougie would find a way to take us down.

7Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 13:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

8Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 13:30

Oh joy........

9Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 13:38

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Ah a player who spits at other players - we haven't had one of those in a while.

10Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 13:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just out...

Popov was due to join the Trotters on Monday but the move was blocked by the Premier League and Football League who were uncertain whether the loan was allowed.
However, more talks took place yesterday and the clubs are [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of finalising a transfer.
Popov, who has played just twice in the Premier League this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is on loan at Albion from Dynamo Kiev and, while English rules allow loan players to be ‘sub-let’, they do not permit loans from foreign clubs outside the transfer window.
The authorities claimed on Monday that the move was against the rules as Popov would effectively be loaned to Bolton from his Ukranian parent club.
However, the Trotters appear to have convinced the powers-that-be that the move would qualify as a domestic ‘emergency loan’ as their agreement is with the Baggies.

11Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 13:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So now we're getting sloppy thirds?

Dougie out.

12Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 13:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Baggies chant:
Popov the Albion man,
he lives in a caravan, 

he looks like a killer and he hates the villa, 

he's Popov the Albion man 

poop poop.

13Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 14:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

14Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 14:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will Popov make a difference? I'm not sure as Ream has done OK (not great but OK) and Popov looks like a player who a bit slow and I would imagine prone to bookings/reds.
But if by playing him, Ream is freed up and Dougie has no excuse not to trust the back 4,  then new possibilities open up, especially with Beckford coming back. Could Dougie buckle under the pressure and go for a 442 with Beckford and Juke up front?

15Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 16:13

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Will Popov make a difference? I'm not sure as Ream has done OK (not great but OK) and Popov looks like a player who a bit slow and I would imagine prone to bookings/reds.
But if by playing him, Ream is freed up and Dougie has no excuse not to trust the back 4,  then new possibilities open up, especially with Beckford coming back. Could Dougie buckle under the pressure and go for a 442 with Beckford and Juke up front?
Not in this lifetime wander. By now even his most patient of backers should see he won't change his tactics an iota. In fact I'd be very surprised to see Popov play at all in the next few weeks. Dougie will tell us he's not "match fit" as the lad has only played twice for the baggies this season. He may make the bench but don't expect to see him on the pitch before April is my gut feeling.

16Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 16:43

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Nixon tweeting Popov deal off.

17Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 17:28

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Can't say i'm surprised, it was a bit of a complex deal apparantly.

To be honest though he's had since fucking october to sort a left back out, I refuse to believe their isn't one half decent full back to pick from on loan.

18Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Wed 12 Feb - 20:36

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:Nixon tweeting Popov deal off.
What a surprise. Dougie will now say it's not his fault that we don't have a left back and Phil will blame the FA for being mean to us. The fact is a Left Back should have been a priority the moment Alonso left, how in hell can you start a season with just one to begin with? I don't blame Tierney for getting injured, I blame the chairman and manager for not having someone in place to back that position up. Please don't mention Dawson and McNaughton because frankly I'm bored with hearing about them when a village idiot could have seen we weren't going to get them in summer OR January. 

Phil and Dougie are a shambolic partnership that is going to put us in League One next season and perhaps even League Two the season after. Deja vu anyone?

19Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Thu 13 Feb - 17:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Nixon tweeting Popov deal off.
What a surprise. Dougie will now say it's not his fault that we don't have a left back and Phil will blame the FA for being mean to us. The fact is a Left Back should have been a priority the moment Alonso left, how in hell can you start a season with just one to begin with? I don't blame Tierney for getting injured, I blame the chairman and manager for not having someone in place to back that position up. Please don't mention Dawson and McNaughton because frankly I'm bored with hearing about them when a village idiot could have seen we weren't going to get them in summer OR January. 

Phil and Dougie are a shambolic partnership that is going to put us in League One next season and perhaps even League Two the season after. Deja vu anyone?
So which available and affordable left back would you go for? Personally, I'm struggling to think of one unless we were willing to gamble on a league 2 player. You'd think that there must be someone in our price range, but I can't think of one.

20Goran Popov Empty Re: Goran Popov Thu 13 Feb - 18:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
So which available and affordable left back would you go for? Personally, I'm struggling to think of one unless we were willing to gamble on a league 2 player.

The trick is to be able to spot that League 2 player that can make the step up.

Dougie couldn't spot potential in a player if he was the lovechild of a Ronaldo/Usain Bolt one night stand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum