Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann

+7
Angry Dad
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
Keegan
Natasha Whittam
largehat
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Ok guys, my error, I'll go and get the cat back from the other side of the garden Smile

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm going to start an animal abuse thread just for you Smile

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm Welsh, were allowed certain animal rights Smile

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Didn't some once say something about 'giving people what they want!'.

Isn't that simply what the media is doing?

Ok many from this forum might be 'bored' with it all by now - but I don't really think we are the audience that the media is aiming at - there's probably many people who do want to hear and read about the child / family.

I'm thinking that if sales in the papers, magazines, etc, that carry the story fall dramatically enough, then we would soon find that it is covered a great deal less than it is currently.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You make a good point of course, Mail and Express readers love this kind of thing.

BTW the Express during the height of the "maddy" affair released 100 consecutive front pages with her on, incredible.

the mail and express, i think, see the Mccanns as the ideal family. Wealthy, well educated parents, young family, not divorced etc etc.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

the mail and express, i think, see the Mccanns as the ideal family. Wealthy, well educated parents, young family, not divorced etc etc.

They're right aren't they?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

well it's a matter of opinion isn't it, but thats their view, and thats why they continue to dedicate page after page to this child, while neglecting the plight of similar cases.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:well it's a matter of opinion isn't it, but thats their view, and thats why they continue to dedicate page after page to this child, while neglecting the plight of similar cases.

Just admit that a well educated couple with two kids who love each other is the perfect family. No one will kill you for saying it.

You keep mentioning these similar cases, give me one similar case to this one in the last 5 years.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd have to know the couple deeply to declare them the perfect family, and i don't so no i won't make a sweeping generalisation like that.

i posted a tonne of missing children, which included primary school kids and babies and you decided were too old to deserve any press coverage.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

They weren't so perfect when they thought it was OK to leave their kids unattended in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country, despite the existence of a babysitting service and a creche.

I can't believe Natasha is trolling about how perfect the middle classes are in one thread, and accusing me, a person who describes himself as working class, as someone who might consider themselves too good to buy stuff on eBay in another!

And Sluffy wants me to promote Natasha to friends I have on another site. She's going to drive them to despair if any of them rock up on here.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Going off thread slightly and more on to the case itself the thing that I could never get my head around was that they left THREE kids (all under the age of three or thereabouts iirc) unattended.

None of us are the perfect parents, we all have made some sort of parenting mistake over the years but to leave three toddlers unattended beggars belief to me - if one kid at their age starts to cry then the other two quickly follow - so I'm amazed that someone wasn't on hand to look over them.

Never rang true to me that bit.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

And Sluffy wants me to promote Natasha to friends I have on another site. She's going to drive them to despair if any of them rock up on here.

We don't need Largehat's friends, trust me.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

they left her in a hotel room... its not like they left her in the street, wasn't their fault.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is more to it than that. The McCanns were both doctors and they went on a family holiday with two other families who were also work colleagues and had children as well. The three families were all staying in the same complex and all the children were put to bed. The three families took turns in checking on the children. Yes, they were wrong to leave their children unattended but they were in a relatively safe ( until then ) part of Portugal.

Their only mistake was in letting their hair down thinking they were out of the rat race for a couple of weeks. I would imagine as Doctors they were looking forward to the break.

Not only have they lost a child but they have been pilloried in the press as unfit parents. Jesus Christ, they made one mistake which will haunt them every single day of their lives and still they are subjected to abuse. I just don't get it, I really don't.

As parents, we have all made mistakes where our kids are concerned but thankfully the consequences have not been as disastrous. I have got nothing but sympathy for the McCanns. They were and are decent parents whose children were not victims of abuse or malnourishment. The terrible guilt of their one mistake is their raison d'etre and that is why they will never give up trying to atone for that terrible night.,

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

also if people wern't interested it wouldn't get printed

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

i agree with reebok trotter

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Maddy's face haunts decent parents. It's a case of ' there but for the grace of god.'

Had this kidnapping occurred in the UK then it would have been dealt with far more professionally. The Portuguese Police were inept because they had never come across a child abduction of a tourist before. From an early stage they nailed their colours to the mast and decided that the McCanns were implicit in Maddy's disappearance. This deflected their resources away from looking for the real culprit. One thing the UK Police will always tell you is that you must never get tunnel vision. You have to keep an open mind until all avenues of enquiry have been exhausted.

The Portuguese were woefully inadequate.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Agree with RT, also, I would add that its only in the last decade, with the advent of child carers provided by hotels, holiday reps, etc, that leaving kids together, and checking every now and then, has fallen out of favour. I remember the days when it was the accepted way to look after them all. What wasn't taken into account was the fact that somebody, especially in a quiet hokiday resort, was prepared to break in and steal a little girl. I think the McCanns have proven, both at the time, and since, that they are good parents, and to make comments about whether they are lower, middle , or upper class, detracts from the point that their daughter was kidnapped, and may, or may not, be dead.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The problem i have with this is, you Just don't leave Children on their own, no matter what, they can get up to all sorts, ok they were asleep but.they can easily wake up .

But i do feel for them as a Family.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum