Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coyle is getting better? -stats

+10
Bolton Nuts
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
Sluffy
Angry Dad
gloswhite
Quent
xmiles
jayjay23
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Coyle is getting better? -stats Mon May 07 2012, 22:12

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If we look at the season as a whole then yes, we are in poor form and Coyle is taking us down - more or less.

But, if we take away the first half of the season and imagine the season started 16 games ago then we are not doing too badly at all.

Based on the last 16 (of all teams) we would be 13th on 19 points. (Just three points behind Wigan and 5 points behind Chelsea in 8th position.)

What is my point?

Well you could argue that Coyle is getting better. His team is picking up more points on average than it was before xmas. You could say he has learned a lesson or two compared with how we started the season and things have improved.

Yes it's frustrating to be in the position we are in in the league and annoying to chuck away a two goal lead yesterday - but, for what we should be expecting as Bolton fans, our recent form is actually pretty decent ie. better than our average.

Errors like yesterday cost more at this stage but can we really chuck out a manager who is in good form based on what happened 9 or 10 months ago? If our form had been this good all season we would not be complaining.

Football has a short memory, a manager can do really well for three seasons and then have 20 crap games and get sacked - it's all about the here and now. And the fact is, the here and now at Bolton (relegation aside) is good (based on form).

Thoughts?

2Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Mon May 07 2012, 22:23

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

It's rather picky to choose the last 16 games. What about the last 18 or 19? Even if he is getting better it is too late. Short of a miracle we are down and I do blame Coyle for that.

3Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Mon May 07 2012, 22:24

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

jayjay23 wrote:
Thoughts?

It's what happens over a season that counts, if we'd drawn just a few more games we wouldn't be in this mess.

4Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Mon May 07 2012, 22:26

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Old saying: If aunty had balls, she'd be uncle

5Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Mon May 07 2012, 22:28

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I wonder if coyle has got a "space Hopper" I,d like to see him fuck off up the motorway on it.

6Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Mon May 07 2012, 22:46

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sorry. My stats only go back to 16 games.
Even if you don't agree, do you get my point? I am not saying "keep him" because of those stats, I am just asking if there is any merit to the idea as it has been playing on my mind.

They say a manager is only as good as his last 10 games (some people do) and in that case we would be tenth. Is it sensible to sack a manager who has seemingly learned a lesson and got us moving in the right direction albeit belatedly.

I would imagine he will continue to learn and grow. Just like he did for a while by experimenting with formation, substitutions, starting line ups, dropping skd etc. At least he is a manager willing to make some changes, we have had others who a rigid to a point beyond reason!

He will continue to experiment and try new things and learn from those too.
He will gain great experience from Sammy Lee and great methods. He intends to play the type of football we all love to see, he wants to win cups and so on. I bet over 50% of managers we would appoint would do worse than Coyle and a huge percentage of those would have little or no intention of bringing us excitement, cup runs and attractive attacking football.

I would rather see the beautiful game again as opposed to the same old drudgery of recent years of negative shite.

7Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Mon May 07 2012, 23:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'll give you a few stats for this season to think about -

Most home losses in the clubs entire 137 year history! - 11

Least home wins in the clubs entire history! - 4

Most home goals conceded in the clubs entire history! - 39

Most consecutive home losses in the clubs entire history! - 7 (v. Sunderland, 7 May 2011) - (v. Sunderland, 22 October 2011).

8Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 12:00

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:I'll give you a few stats for this season to think about -

Most home losses in the clubs entire 137 year history! - 11

Least home wins in the clubs entire history! - 4

Most home goals conceded in the clubs entire history! - 39

Most consecutive home losses in the clubs entire history! - 7 (v. Sunderland, 7 May 2011) - (v. Sunderland, 22 October 2011).

Yeah I know Sluffy and it makes for terrible reading on a Wanderers fan's part - but, we can't deny that results wise our form has picked up and lessons are being learned.

We also cannot ignore the fact that the chances are high that whoever takes over could do a worse job than Coyle. And we may get stuck with another negative manager to boot. And I think relegation and a negative manager could drive people away in droves. At least we know Coyle wants a great football team.

9Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 12:24

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

How are the lessons being learned when we're 2 points adrift with 1 game to go and letting 2 goal leads slip away from home?

The stats Sluffy have pulled up are simply not good enough at any level of football and I am convinced if we had any other manager they would have been sacked by now.

10Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 14:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Saying all that we might just go out and tonk Stoke!

11Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 14:50

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've no doubt he will get better, he can't get much worse can he.

The problems that have hurt us, haven't gone away, the bizarre subs, the 4-4-2 with Mark Davies, Loans that don't play, 4 million strikers that don't play.

realising we play better as a 4-5-1 with a holding mid, then going away from it again.

odd...

12Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 15:01

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I've no doubt he will get better, he can't get much worse can he.

The problems that have hurt us, haven't gone away, the bizarre subs, the 4-4-2 with Mark Davies, Loans that don't play, 4 million strikers that don't play.

realising we play better as a 4-5-1 with a holding mid, then going away from it again.

odd...

ah. I think those are better points to raise as cons against Coyle than the early season results stats. They are quite valid.

13Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 17:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'll give you another stat - Coyle's spent over £7 million on strikers this season - an absolute fortune for us in view of the clubs financial position - and combined they have NOT scored a single league goal at the Reebok!

(and only THREE in total for the season!).

14Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 20:03

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Clever wording that Sluffy.

You say LEAGUE and AT THE REEBOK as if it adds to your point but in a sneaky way you are covering something up - namely cup and away from home. Oh, and it's pretty tough to score off the bench. (which may have been your point but I am side stepping it!)

15Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 20:07

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't have a problem with Ngog, i wouldn't say he's been a "great" singing but he's certainly done what he's been asked to do this season.

16Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 20:16

Bolton Nuts

Admin

jayjay23 wrote:Clever wording that Sluffy.

You say LEAGUE and AT THE REEBOK as if it adds to your point but in a sneaky way you are covering something up - namely cup and away from home. Oh, and it's pretty tough to score off the bench. (which may have been your point but I am side stepping it!)

Shut up jayjay. All your other posts make sense. Not this.

I can see the sense in keeping Coyle because who knows what we might end up with. Coyle may not be the best in the world but we could get landed with a lot lot worse.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

17Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 20:24

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

stats can say whatever you want them to say tbh. In response to the striker stat you could quite easily say he has only spent 5 mill on a CB pairing who look very strong, and got Holden and Petrov for free who we know are good and this Wylde who is suppose to be good, there are plenty of stats that show where Coyle has made good signings.

For every negative stat for a manager there will be a positive one, stats is one of the things Megson clings on to in an attempt to persuade everyone that he did well for use.

Stats can be misleading, I bet the stats for the career of Kevin Davies arn't anything to shout about, but in reality he has had a fantastic career with us.

Moral of the story, stats in bias hands show nothing

Last edited by Lofty_Love on Tue May 08 2012, 20:25; edited 1 time in total

18Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Tue May 08 2012, 20:25

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Not sure what point you are making Jay Jay.

The full facts are that Ngog cost £4 million and has scored 4 goals this season - 3 in the league and one in the FA Cup (v Millwall) - all four goals coming away from the Reebok.

Sordell cost £3 million and has played 32 minutes of football since his transfer in January.

Do you think that is money well spent by Coyle?

It was he that must have asked for them and was happy at their price - didn't he once say something like he wouldn't pay more for the players than they were worth.

£7 million for just 3 league goals from our major signings in the summer and January transfer windows - not a great return from our investments really - and a key factor in why we are in the bottom three with just one game left to play don't you think?

Of course I guess I could be biased and our non scoring marquee signings have nothing at all to do with why we seem to be in a bit of bother at the moment!

19Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Wed May 09 2012, 14:52

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Considering we only create 3 or 4 good chances a game at best, it's always going to be difficult for our strikers to be in the goals.

If you're at Man U and you get 10-12 chances a game you're bound to score 20 goals a season.

20Coyle is getting better? -stats Empty Re: Coyle is getting better? -stats Wed May 09 2012, 15:42

Mallorca Trotter

Mallorca Trotter
David Lee
David Lee

Over the last 16 games we are 13th?

Over the last 37 we are third bottom

We've not won in the last 3.

Stats which has been said, can say what you want.... But the bottom line is the "Barclay's Premier League" base their table on 38 league games... So let's see..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum