Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Under-18s coach David Lee confident ahead of Crewe Alexandra FA Youth Cup tie

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers under-18s continue their FA Youth Cup adventure at Crewe Alexandra tonight with coach David Lee confident of progress.

For the first time this campaign, Lee has a fully-fit squad of outfield players to choose from for the fourth-round tie at Gresty Road.

And while he is not underestimating a Crewe side that dumped out last season's finalists Fulham in Round Three, the Whites boss knows his side can repeat their exploits from the previous round at Portsmouth and win on the road again.

Lee told The Bolton News: "For the first time this season we have every outfield player fit and available and that has come at a really good time for us.

"It gives me a selection dilemma but it's a nice problem to have when everyone is fit – especially in such an important cup game.

"We know it won't be easy – Crewe have a philosophy that has served them well at academy level over the years.

"You just have to look at the players they have produced.

"It is a test because they will be well-organised.

"I have seen clips on DVD of their win against Fulham and they did well.

"When you think Fulham got to the final last year – and I consider them to be the benchmark at academy level in recent years – it was a good win for Crewe and we won't underestimate them

"Having said that, I fancy our chances tonight and I am really excited for the match.

"The lads have been focused in training and played well at Stoke despite losing late on in that game on Saturday.

"If they can cut out the individual mistakes and are not overawed playing at a big ground again, they have a great chance of getting through again."

One player who could prove pivotal for the young Whites is top scorer Jamie Thomas.

The Wales under-19 international netted his tenth goal of the season at Stoke on Saturday and was the matchwinner in the previous round against Pompey.

Lee admits he is a key player but also hopes others can do their bit to help the teenager in front of goal.

The coach added: "We know what Jamie is all about – if you give him the ammunition, he will score you goals.

"He keeps doing that for us but it would be nice if others chipped in to take some of the weight off his shoulders – they are more than capable."

The FA Youth Cup is a competition the Wanderers boss always wants to do well in.

And the incentive is certainly there for his young charges to get past Crewe with a likely trip to Arsenal awaiting the winners in the fifth round.

The Gunners face Royston Town next Wednesday and are big favourites to go through.

Lee admits the chance of playing at the Emirates Stadium is one that can drive the team on tonight.

He said: "Without taking anything for granted you would expect Arsenal to get through and what an incentive that is for the players.

"You could get to play at a stadium like the Emirates in the next round.

"There is a buzz around the academy again and that would just increase that mood, like it did when we went to Spurs and won two years ago.

"We cannot let it be on their minds too much but it can drive them on."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum