Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anybody remember this fella?

+13
Soul Kitchen
Keegan
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
xmiles
gloswhite
scottjames30
Numpty 28723
boltonbonce
okocha
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
Bwfc1958
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Anybody remember this fella? Empty Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 14:00

Interesting read from today's Grauniad:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh how times have changed.........

2Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 14:37

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Great article that evokes great memories. The players we have been lucky enough to see grace the Reebok thanks to big sam is something I will be forever grateful for as a Bolton fan. To watch the team through that era makes me feel for the younger supporters who may never see the likes of what we witnessed. 

If Allardyce had stayed to this day one can only imagine where we would be now. Possible contenders for the top 3 if not the title maybe? Ok with the cash of Chelsea and City the title would possibly be beyond reach but the meteoric rise could have took us and also Allardyce to unprecedented heights.

3Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 14:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Too much long ball shite under Allardyce.

4Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 15:05

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

choked me up reading that Sad

5Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 15:06

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Too much long ball shite under Allardyce.

:facepalm:

6Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 15:09

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

What a fabulous article! God, that's made me nostalgic and even emotional! 

The only word I disagree with in the whole article was the description of Bibi as "frenetic"; the rest is spot-on and beautifully written.

7Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 15:12

I'm the first one to admit that it was all getting a bit stale by the end and it was clear that things were changing but, blimey....what memories.

I've said before on here that if someone had approached the 18 year old me in the Paddock when we were playing Newport in the Fourth Division in 1988 and said that within 20 years we'd be playing UEFA Cup fixtures away at the likes of Atletico and Bayern, I'd have laughed in their face.

Looking back now, it all seems a bit surreal.

8Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 15:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some of the best times I've had watching the Whites.
Looking back now,it's almost like a dream.

9Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 15:58

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

A good article about some great times. How lucky we were to be watching all those fantastic players week in and week out!

Who wouldn't swap the football from then with some of the dross that's served up now - the last couple of home games being a prime example.

Allardyce had it direct but it was exciting nonetheless. Remember the buzz that used to go round even if we'd only won a throw-in and Okocha would come jogging across the pitch to take one of his long throws - usually straight on to big Kev's head every time. These days Ream takes a throw and it's about five minutes before he decides which opposition player he's going to give it away to!

10Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 16:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ream and his throw ins wind me up as well, he can't make his mind up Very Happy

11Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 16:58

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One of the best Managers in the world.

12Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 17:17

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Really great times.

13Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 17:22

I love Allardyce, but he's talked himself out of the West Ham job and it will probably mean he'll never manage England. If he was as well liked as Hodgson he'd end up with a massive job because he's a far better coach in every way.

14Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 18:08

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think people tend to gloss over the absolute dross football that was played under Allardyce. And the fact he stole my hotdog.

15Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 18:51

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Fantastic article and I will always be grateful to BSA for giving me the best times I have had in over 50 years of supporting Bolton.

16Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 18:56

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone who genuinely thinks we played "dross football" under BSA is deluded beyond measure. (no I don't count trolling attempts)

17Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 18:59

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I think people tend to gloss over the absolute dross football that was played under Allardyce. And the fact he stole my hotdog.

Is that the time when you became a female? Very Happy

18Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 18:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Anyone who genuinely thinks we played "dross football" under BSA is deluded beyond measure. (no I don't count trolling attempts)

People forget that before we were in the Prem Fat Sam was getting booed by the Bolton fans. I remember when we lost a League Cup game at Tranmere and the whole Bolton end was chanting "Allardyce Out".

Even in the glory days, many of the games were fooking dreadful but obviously we were prepared to overlook that fact because we won a few games.

We played better football under Coyle. But it wasn't very effective.

19Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 19:02

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:

We played better football under Coyle. But it wasn't very effective.

Is it really "better football" if we keep losing and get relegated from the Prem?

20Anybody remember this fella? Empty Re: Anybody remember this fella? Wed Mar 04 2015, 19:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

Is it really "better football" if we keep losing and get relegated from the Prem?

There was a spell before the Stoke thrashing where we played some amazing stuff, probably the only time Holden had a run of games.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum