Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Life is Gud again for Whites star Eidur

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With a new arrival expected at any moment, Eidur Gudjohnsen might want to keep a few fairytales handy.

Soon to be a father for the fourth time, the Wanderers striker looks to have a happy ending all lined-up for next summer, when he hopes to lead Iceland into their first-ever major tournament.

A major step was taken this week as Gudjohnsen returned to the international scene for the first time in 18 months, scoring against Kazakhstan to put his country in an encouraging position to qualify for France.

That comeback looked unlikely six months ago when the striker was semi-retired, having left Club Brugge in Belgium the previous summer, and making his first inroads into a career in the media.

But after returning to his spiritual home in Bolton, the 36-year-old has turned back the clock, and is now contemplating another season in the Championship as well as life as a new dad for the first time in a decade.

“I think this is going to be a week he’ll remember for a long, long time,” said Neil Lennon of his veteran front man. “When I heard he’d scored against Kazakhstan it brought a real smile to my face. It’s an unbelievable story.

“When you consider he wasn’t even playing football up until November and where he is up to now, it’s really pleasing.”

It was Lennon who offered Gudjohnsen a surprise route back into club football at the end of last year and a return to the place he had left 14 years ago to join Chelsea.

It was a move that conjured memories of Youri Djorkaeff’s headline-grabbing arrival from Kaiserslautern as he looked to gatecrash the France squad in the build up to the 2002 World Cup. And, at present, looks like having a similarly successful outcome.

“His motivation was to get into the Iceland team for qualification and then hopefully get into the Euros, and I think it’s a great example to any player at any age, if you put your mind to something you can achieve your goal,” Lennon said.

“I know he really wants to play in the Euros if Iceland qualify, and they’ve certainly given themselves a great chance.”

All of which brings about the question of Gudjohnsen’s contract, which is up in the summer.

Wanderers fans would dearly love to see a player who has become somewhat of an icon at the club in his two well-separated stints sign on for another 12 months. Lennon is no different.

“I think he will want to stay on,” he said. “He’s going to need to play on next season and we’ve made it clear we’d like him here.

“I wouldn’t say he’s a young kid but all this has certainly put a spring in his step.

“More than anything, he’s a consummate professional and a very good player. I like having him around.

“He’s loving his time here so it all points to having another year but that’ll be Eidur’s decision at the end of the day.”

Gudjohnsen’s wife, Ragnhildur, is due to give birth at any time – which could potentially impact upon the Icelander’s chances of playing on the Easter weekend.

Footballing genes certainly run in the family, as Eidur’s father Arnor played internationally for Iceland, and his two eldest sons Sveinn Aron and Andri Lucas, are currently in the academy ranks of another of his former clubs, Barcelona.

There are 10 years between the latest arrival and his youngest son, Daniel Tristan, but Lennon expects Gudjohnsen will be able to feature against either Blackpool tomorrow or Cardiff City on Monday as he juggles responsibilities at home and at the club.

“We’ll obviously see what kind of shape he’s in after coming back from the internationals but I’d expect him to be okay to play in at least one of the games over three days,” he said.

“What happens with the baby, we’ve got to wait and see but I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

Gudjohnsen is not the only player whose contract is up in the summer and Lennon revealed that talks were taking place yesterday with a couple of his preferred choices.

The Whites boss used the international break to identify a couple of new signings for the summer but first wants a couple more points on the board.

“I have got meetings today and have made in-roads already for players we want to bring in and in roads into trying to keep a couple of players as well,” he said. “It is all good. It might not seem it but we are very positive.

“But I don't want to get ahead of myself. I want to get over the line before we talk about our plans for going forward.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum