Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

You should not be allowed to vote!

+2
Chairmanda
Bolton Nuts
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1You should not be allowed to vote! Empty You should not be allowed to vote! Sun May 10 2015, 11:11

Bolton Nuts

Admin

In a general election I think there should be a test on the way in to the ballot place...

A basic understanding of the main issues should be demonstrated by the voter through a quick 30 question multiple choice exam.

If you get less than 50% right then you cant vote. Simple.

Why?
Because, why should your vote count for anything if you don't know what you are voting for?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Ps. This is because...

Because Granny-in-law said on May 6th, "well im obviously voting Labour because Ive worked all my life" - further discussion with her
revealed that she had no other basis for voting and no understanding of any of any other parties manifestos (or indeed Labours).

I suspect this isn't an isolated case and millions of votes are being cast on a basis of "i was born labour" or "ive always voted for this party" or "i don't like foreigners" etc...

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

In my degree I did a thesis on determinants of voting behaviour. I got answers such as 'I voted for him cos he's got the same name as my cousin and my cousins a good bloke' 'I voted labour because I can't stand all that nationalisation rubbish' and 'I shut my eyes and stabbed the pencil in'. Each of those votes holds the same weight as someone who read all the manifestos cover to cover. I also did a thing at the end to test political awareness...who was your local councillor, practically no one knew, who is your local pm, about 50%, who is the prime minister...at the time, it was the Falklands war and we had a prime minister with the highest profile possible...only 80% of people knew.
So I agree not all make rational or informed decisions, but in a democracy everyone's vote should be equal (even if it doesn't carry equal value because if our system and constituency boundaries...see other thread). They have a choice, and they exercise it making their choice in a way I find hugely frustrating, but is their right, and I could never support any system which barred anyone entitled to vote by age, location and status from voting.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My mate refused to vote for Neil Kinnock because he'd seen him on TV strumming a guitar. Shocked

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I refused to vote for Kinnock because he was a Welsh Windbag. Too many Boyos for my liking.

boltonbonce wrote:My mate refused to vote for Neil Kinnock because he'd seen him on TV strumming a guitar. Shocked

When I was a student I once nearly had a thrommy at a girl who lived in our house because she said she was voting for the Tory candidate because he looked like her old head master and he was "a lovely man".

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Everyone should have a right to vote - end of.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Chairmanda wrote:In my degree I did a thesis on determinants of voting behaviour. I got answers such as 'I voted for him cos he's got the same name as my cousin and my cousins a good bloke' 'I voted labour because I can't stand all that nationalisation rubbish' and 'I shut my eyes and stabbed the pencil in'. Each of those votes holds the same weight as someone who read all the manifestos cover to cover. I also did a thing at the end to test political awareness...who was your local councillor, practically no one knew, who is your local pm, about 50%, who is the prime minister...at the time, it was the Falklands war and we had a prime minister with the highest profile possible...only 80% of people knew.
So I agree not all make rational or informed decisions, but in a democracy everyone's vote should be equal (even if it doesn't carry equal value because if our system and constituency boundaries...see other thread). They have a choice, and they exercise it making their choice in a way I find hugely frustrating, but is their right, and I could never support any system which barred anyone entitled to vote by age, location and status from voting.

I like your answer, Manda, but everyone still has the same "right" to vote, even if a test is involved.

Nobodies rights are taken away, the opportunity to vote is open to all. If people decide not to take this opportunity by not passing the test then that is their choice.

Or maybe, if you get 50% in the test your vote counts as 50% of a vote. If you get 100% then your vote counts as a full vote and so on.

Surely the system being voted for should be voted by rational thinking than by a perceived democracy.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

scottjames30 wrote:Everyone should have a right to vote - end of.

Would you have got less than 50%?

10You should not be allowed to vote! Empty Re: You should not be allowed to vote! Sun May 10 2015, 23:47

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think your Experience of life gives you the Right to Vote Cool

11You should not be allowed to vote! Empty Re: You should not be allowed to vote! Mon May 11 2015, 23:55

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Not the point banks. This is the sort of rubbish reasoning im on about.

12You should not be allowed to vote! Empty Re: You should not be allowed to vote! Tue May 12 2015, 14:27

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Biggie wrote:Not the point banks. This is the sort of rubbish reasoning im on about.

i'd like to see someone asking these people 30 questions before they can vote, just don't see your idea  being practical, in more ways than one Very Happy

You should not be allowed to vote! 3738006

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/12938427.Voters_close_to_missing_out_in_long_queues_in_Heaton/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum