Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Max Clayton happy to be Mr Versatile up front

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Max Clayton is happy to play anywhere for Neil Lennon.

The Wanderers youngster impressed in behind the frontline last season after breaking into the side under the Northern Irishman before a cruciate knee ligament injury ended his season before Christmas.

He is hoping to be back firing for pre-season and is ready to be deployed in that effective role again when asked to do so.

The ex-Crewe starlet says he enjoyed operating in a three-man support team for a leading striker before his injury.

And while ultimately, he feels his natural position will be as a 'number nine', for now he is just happy to have Lennon aiding his development.

The 20-year-old who arrived last summer told the club: "When I was at Crewe they didn’t see me as anything else other than a number nine.

"That is a very demanding position.

"If the team is in form it can be the best position on the pitch but I always like to go in search of the ball.

"I probably prefer to be one of three in behind the frontman.

"Eventually, when I have the size and am older, I would like to be a regular number nine.

"The manager played me in a three behind the striker last season and as long as I was putting the work in and doing my defensive work, he gave me licence to do what I wanted and that was brilliant.

"Hopefully my performances showed I was enjoying myself.

"From day one the manager took to me and has really looked after me.

"He is a really good manager and has filled me with confidence."

Clayton is one of a handful of younger players in Lennon's squad as he looks to build for the future at the Macron Stadium.

And the forward believes that will boost their chances of being in the Championship promotion race next season.

He added: "I genuinely believe next season we are going to be a force.

"I’m sure the recruitment will be good in summer and I see us having a really strong squad next year.

"With young players like Josh (Vela), Tom (Walker) and (Zach) Cloughie coming through from the academy and hopefully myself, we should have a really good blend.

"I have seen since I have been here how important the academy is at Bolton.

"They are really driven to bring players through, like my previous club Crewe, as we have seen with three top players coming through to the first team.

"I think that can only help us get better as a team."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum