Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Davies sets sights on full fitness as Bolton dismiss Palace link

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers won’t be courting bids for midfielder Mark Davies this summer.

Although Crystal Palace have been linked with a £1.5million move for the former Wolves playmaker, word from within the Macron Stadium is that he will be staying put.

South London sources have linked Davies with Palace whose manager Alan Pardew is said to be aiming at “marquee signings” this summer.

But Wanderers seem keen to avoid the issue being strung out and were quick to stifle any speculation yesterday.

Davies, who aside from out-of-contract Adam Bogdan is the Whites' longest-serving player, is certainly no stranger to transfer speculation.

But after spending another chunk of last season sidelined with injury, the 27-year-old is said to be focusing on returning fully fit when Wanderers report back for duty in just less than four weeks’ time.

Lennon sees Davies as a key man in his midfield next season but aims to try to iron out his long-standing fitness problems during a summer training camp in Austria and the following five friendly games in the UK.

The Wanderers boss is determined to avoid the injury issues that ruined the second half of last season and left him patching holes in his squad with loan players.

“The latter part of the season was very frustrating,” he said. “We had niggly injuries as well as long-term ones, for example Craig Davies who would come in, do really well then we would lose him for six or seven weeks.

“It meant we had to use the loan market which wasn’t ideal.

“You really only want to use three or four at best and keep the core of the squad as contracted players.

“I think it was that more than anything else which brought about inconsistency in results really. Sometimes it is out of your hands.”

Davies has made 163 appearances since signing from Wolves in January 2009 and has missed 141 games during that period.

He played just 15 times last season because of a broken foot sustained in the summer and then a knee operation at the end of 2014.

The midfielder claimed his knee was in good condition in late March when he was looking forward to making an impact next season.

“Pre-season is going to be a big one for me,” he said at the time. “With any luck I’ll be at the peak of my fitness and I can really push on to be fully ready for the start of next season.

“There will hopefully be a couple more lads ready with me too because the injuries we’ve had this season have been awful.”

Meanwhile, former Wanderers defender Tal Ben Haim, recently released at Charlton, is on the verge of a move back home to Israel with Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Source

We all know how this is going to play out, don't we?

bye bye davies, hello cut price shitty offer.  TBF, i'd rather have someone who doesn't go missing constantly in games apart from the odd run and also who spends less time in the medical suite and actually playing.

he "can" be a very good player, as chris eagles "could" but it was never consistent. probably be lynched for this but i would rather have pratley

Not a chance are Palace after Mavies, it's just an agent or journalist looking for an angle. Total bollocks.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

He's played 163 games and missed 141 through injury. Amazing statistics.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Bound to slip a disc tying his boot laces !!!!!

Still our best player when fit. He's under contract, nobody's going to buy him, best we can do is pray he stays fit. If he does it helps solve a lot of our problems.

bwfc1874 wrote:Still our best player when fit.

Nope

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

As always with Mavies ....another player who had potential but never reached it.  He's 27 and what you see is what you get at this point. I'm hoping for a full season out of him which will help us of course. Flashes of brilliance but not consistent. Will he get through preseason...thats for starters.

terenceanne wrote:As always with Mavies ....another player who had potential but never reached it.  He's 27 and what you see is what you get at this point. I'm hoping for a full season out of him which will help us of course. Flashes of brilliance but not consistent. Will he get through preseason...thats for starters.

:agree:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum