Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the most random.....

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What's the most random..... Empty What's the most random..... Sun Jun 28 2015, 16:29

....thing anybody has ever said to you?

When I was at Smithills in the 80's, we had a Physics teacher called Mr Rawlinson.

He was basically ok but several of us in 5B took it upon ourselves to try and wind him up from time to time because he was a bit stiff.

Us: "Sir! If natural gas is odourless and you can't see it, how can you tell it's there?"

Rawlinson: "Well......they test for it with gas meters and other equipment."

Us: "Gas meters, sir....? Like the one we've got under the stairs? Bit cumbersome, surely....?"

Rawlinson: "No, not gas meters like that. Meters that read background levels of gas and indicate what's there."

Us: "But how does the meter detect it if it can't see or smell it?"

Rawlinson (now becoming slightly irate because he can tell we're taking the piss): "It analyses the air and detects what's in it."

Us: "So if a small bird flew past, would the meter detect it?"

Rawlinson: "What...?" No, of course not!"

Us: "But you can see birds, sir, and you can hear them too. Why can't the meter detect them if it can pick the gas up? Is it broken, sir?"

Rawlinson (face now red and teeth starting to clench): "No, it's not broken, it's simply not calibrated to detect Finches or Sparrows!"

Us: "What about bigger birds like Crows, sir? Would it stand a better chance of detecting them?"

At this point Mr Rawlinson "lost his shit", as I believe the current vernacular goes and bawled at us:

"You boys are being deliberately obtuse!"

Us: "Like the angle, sir?"

Rawlinson: "No, not like the bloody angle!"

And this is where the random comment thing comes in.

He then launched into a five minute rant about "boys who should appreciate the opportunities they were being given" and ended by shouting:

"I bet you don't even wear carpet slippers at home, do you?"

And this was the bit that stopped us dead.

Carpet slippers.....?

Thirty years on, I'm still trying to work out what that meant and it remains one of the most random comments ever directed at me.

Anybody else got anything similar?

2What's the most random..... Empty Re: What's the most random..... Sun Jun 28 2015, 16:32

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Let me think............. erm no.

3What's the most random..... Empty Re: What's the most random..... Sun Jun 28 2015, 16:39

MartinBWFC wrote:Let me think............. erm no.

You've never lived.

You should travel more....broaden your horizons a bit.  Very Happy

4What's the most random..... Empty Re: What's the most random..... Sun Jun 28 2015, 16:43

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I know what he meant.

5What's the most random..... Empty Re: What's the most random..... Sun Jun 28 2015, 16:43

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:Let me think............. erm no.

You've never lived.

You should travel more....broaden your horizons a bit.  Very Happy
Good point well made, I'll get on it.

6What's the most random..... Empty Re: What's the most random..... Sun Jun 28 2015, 16:47

Soul Kitchen wrote:I know what he meant.
Very Happy

7What's the most random..... Empty Re: What's the most random..... Sun Jun 28 2015, 17:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Parents are he worst for this.
"You'll be laughing on the other side of your face in a minute"........how does that work then?
Spike Milligan's Dad once woke him in the middle of the night to announce..."I just wanted you to know,I've never shot a tiger".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum