Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon content with summer business ahead of Derby opener

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The summer business is done, pre-season is complete and Wanderers are ready to kick off their Championship campaign against Derby County at the Macron Stadium tomorrow.

Boss Neil Lennon goes into the curtain-raiser full of anticipation for his first full season at the helm and says he is satisfied with the make-up of his squad going into the opening day.

The Whites boss took his tally of new faces to six ahead of the Rams clash following the loan signing of French defender Prince Desir Gouano, who joined Stephen Dobbie and Lawrie Wilson as completed deals in the run-up to tomorrow's game.

With Ben Amos, Gary Madine and Derik Osede already on board, Lennon admits he is still keen to bolster his squad further.

But as he gets his team ready for as tough an opener as the fixture computer could have thrown up against a highly-fancied Derby side, he is happy with what he has to work with at present.

Lennon told The Bolton News: "We think we’ve done some decent business this summer in terms of the players we have brought in.

"We would like to have brought in one or two more but while it has not been feasible at the minute there’s still a long way to go in the window.

"Stephen and Lawrie are good players.

"We lost Eidur so we were looking for that type of player and Stephen can fill that void.

"What he has is experience at this level and he is not old – he is only 32.

"He has won promotions – one with Blackpool and one with Swansea – so he knows how to get it done in this division.

"I think he has got plenty to offer.

"Lawrie was out of contract and wanted to come in so we had a good look at him.

"He did very well in all the games he has played so far so again we have signed him.

"It hasn’t cost the club a huge amount of money to bring those two in.

"They will add to the squad.

"We need a bit of depth and that’s what they will bring.

"We may look to add a number two goalkeeper but at the minute we are going okay with what we’ve got with Ben.

"Madine will be a good player at this level and will certainly make us better, as will Derik when he's fit again."

It's not all about new faces for Lennon who is relishing the return to fitness of players already on the books, like youngster Zach Clough, Max Clayton and new captain Darren Pratley.

And he says there are plenty of positives with the players who remain in his squad from last season.

He added: "I have already got some good players here.

"Clough and Vela are here, and Pratley is fit again and that’s like having a new signing.

"Hopefully Clayton isn’t that far off and Feeney has looked good in pre-season.

"While you always want to make the squad better I am pretty happy with what we’ve got.

"The squad seems pretty content.

"They have trained well and pre-season has gone well.

"We have been okay with injuries as well so it has been pretty pleasing from that aspect."

With just under a month to go before the window closes, Lennon expects to add to his half-dozen new boys but admits it may be later in the month, when the deadline looms.

But he is prepared to play a waiting game to get the right players to strengthen his ranks.

The Northern Irishman said: "You can’t always get everything you want.

"Sometimes you have to be patient and maybe a week or so before the window closes things will change because players want to play and be part of a team.

"I’m sure my phone will be going in the last week of the window but for now I am just focusing on what I’ve got."

Source

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How can he possibly be. Terrible summer.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

what do you want him to say Hipster, that its been terrible and we have no hope? He has to try and dress it up at least even if he doesn't believe it himself.

Its not been great, i think we would all agree on that but this is when great managers and coaches prove their worth, lets hope Lennon can do that.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I guess we all wanted to sign some "names" but it was never going to happen barring a takeover so we'll just have to hope that Lennon knows what he's doing and that these lads fulfill the promise he sees in them.

Noticeable that there are no loans of hot prospects like that City winger for example, but perhaps that's what he's referring to when he writes about seeing what happens when the window is about to close.

I'd like to see Pisano come in too - and a few more to leave.

Not an ideal summer by any stretch of the imagination, but we are where we are and at least we have plenty of young prospects again so there's always hope.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

He's a long way from content IMO.

But of course he has to be positive and go with what we have.

So far the summer's been pretty much what I expected, nothing's changing until the club is sold.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum