Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon calls for repeat defensive show from Bolton

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon wants a repeat shutout performance from his backline when Burton Albion visit the Macron Stadium for tonight's Capital One Cup first-round clash.

The Whites boss was delighted with a clean sheet in Saturday's opening Championship encounter against much-fancied Derby County and heaped praise on his defensive unit for their display.

With injuries still a concern at the back for Lennon, it is likely to be the same line-up again in defence tonight.

But Saturday's efforts have proved to the manager he has the right-blend across the back four, particularly with the added pace of Prince-Desir Gouano who earned rave reviews after an impressive debut just 48 hours after his arrival from Italian outfit Atalanta.

Lennon told The Bolton News: "I thought it was a remarkable performance from Prince.

"He came in on Thursday and didn’t train really because we were still waiting clearance from Atalanta in terms of insurance.

"He just did some fitness work then had a light training session on Friday.

"In the meantime you have all these things going on in his head in terms of negotiations, getting international clearance, staying in the hotel with his family and so everything was up in the air for him.

"Then he has to go out and play against one of the best teams in the Championship and I thought he was absolutely fantastic.

"(Dean) Moxey played probably his best game under me; Lawrie (Wilson) was very steady defensively and Dorian (Dervite) has just carried on from pre-season when he was probably our best player.

"I think having natural full-backs helps.

"We have been after a right-back for a while and Lawrie knows we are looking to strengthen that position again in terms of competition for him.

"He understands that and knows his way around the position and he will get better as the season goes on."

It was not just the defence who impressed Lennon but also his forward line who struck the woodwork three times in the second half on Saturday and were unlucky not to find a breakthrough against the Rams.

And he believes the goals will come for the likes of new boy Gary Madine who was another of the impressive debutants.

Lennon said: "I thought the attitude, intensity and application was fantastic and the quality was there in abundance at times.

"We are all very pleased.

"At the end of the game you saw the reaction from the crowd and that’s exactly what we are trying to create here.

"I thought we got a second wind.

"We didn’t really create a lot in the first half and were looking to make changes.

"But they galvanised themselves and found a little bit more.

"Towards the end we were certainly the stronger team.

"I was really pleased we created really good chances.

"In Madine I thought we had a real threat for the whole 90 minutes – I thought he was brilliant.

"He is fantastic in the air and his link-up play is very good.

"If you add goals to that we have a very good player on our hands."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum