Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We're better than this but players must believe it

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers manager Neil Lennon is adamant his team is better than bottom spot in the Championship but concedes they need to show it on the pitch – starting tonight against Birmingham City.

Another away defeat at Burnley on Saturday was tough for Lennon to take after his team put in a good display at Turf Moor.

A fifth defeat in six away outings saw them hit rock bottom on goal difference and the Whites boss admits that is tough to deal with psychologically.

But he is determined to instil belief into his team, insisting the only way is up from the foot of the table.

Lennon said: "We are at home and if we can replicate large portions of Saturday’s game then the players should be buoyed by that and given more belief.

"I know what is at stake. If we can win the game then three points makes a big difference.

"We have been so close to winning games and our position would be a lot better and more psychologically comfortable.

“There is nothing in this league that scares us. Three points can take you 12th, 13th, 14th.

"It is a psychological thing being bottom of the league but we have to accept that because that’s where we are.

"It is okay me saying we are better than the league position suggests but we have to put it into practice. That’s the theory.

"I looked at the performance on Saturday and a lot of it pleased me. To go to Burnley and play as well as we did, it was disappointing to come away with nothing.

“The two goals flattered Burnley over the course of the game. We had chances and we have to start putting them away.

"That’s the best we have played away from home over a concerted period in a game for a while. "I know we are bottom and we were bottom this time last year but if we can go on a run – and we have two home games now – the landscape changes again."

Lennon is banking on home support to help them bounce back tonight and an unbeaten record on their own soil in the league this season puts the boss in an optimistic mood.

He added: “It is night and day between home and away form. We are trying to figure out why.

"I don’t know if they feel more comfortable with the crowd behind them.

"The pitch is quick which suits them but we have got to start getting the three points.

"I look back on the draws we’ve had and the two extra points, psychologically, would be massive.

"We should be in a better position but we are not. However, I am not panicking yet.

“I do think we have improved but it is okay me saying that.

"The performances at home have been very good over the course of the year.

"Our away form remains a bugbear.

"We are at the bottom so the only way is up and it is a great challenge.

"It is a 35-game season and we have plenty of time to turn things around.

"The fans were fantastic at the weekend and appreciated the performance.

"There was no real dissension, though I could understand it if there was because we lost again.

"If the team plays as well as that the majority of the time, away from home, we would be fine.

“We are more than capable of winning our home games.

"Sean Dyche (Burnley boss) was very complimentary afterwards on Saturday and said ‘I can’t believe you are bottom of the league.’

"We caused Burnley problems, more so than many teams away from home.

"We looked a decent team but I know that’s not the answer.

"I would rather us play rubbish and win.

"Over the course of a season performances do matter. The problem is getting the consistency.

"If we can play like that for seven games out of 10 we will be fine.”

Source

He needs to work out his best team now, for me it's Amos, Wilson, Prince, Wheater, Moxey, Spearing, Pratley, Clayton, Mavies, Silva, Madine. 4231, proper full backs, no Dervite a DM in Spearing and plenty of flair behind Madine.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:He needs to work out his best team now, for me it's Amos, Wilson, Prince, Wheater, Moxey, Spearing, Pratley, Clayton, Mavies, Silva, Madine. 4231, proper full backs, no Dervite a DM in Spearing and plenty of flair behind Madine.
 i'd agree with that 74, thought dropping Wilson was a bit harsh as he looked ok to me.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:He needs to work out his best team now, for me it's Amos, Wilson, Prince, Wheater, Moxey, Spearing, Pratley, Clayton, Mavies, Silva, Madine. 4231, proper full backs, no Dervite a DM in Spearing and plenty of flair behind Madine.

I agree with 9 of your selection, I just don't see what Mavies and Silva bring to the party.

Both have skills, but both fail to deliver in the final third when it matters. Playing them both is too much of a luxury. Feeney is shit, but at least he gets in the box occasionally.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we have to play Mavies, he's the only truly creative midfielder we have. The trouble is he's been played far too deep since he came back, he needs to be behind the front man in a number 10 role for me.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:we have to play Mavies, he's the only truly creative midfielder we have.

You're letting your arse type again Norpig.

Guess how many assists he has this season?

Clue: It's the same number as his goals tally.

Can you actually read?

The reason he hasn't registered any assists is probably explained by the fact that (to quote Norpig in the comment you're questioning) "he's been played far too deep since he came back."

Foolish bint.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Can you actually read?

The reason he hasn't registered any assists is probably explained by the fact that (to quote Norpig in the comment you're questioning) "he's been played far too deep since he came back."

Foolish bint.

You bitch.

Ok, guess how many assists he had last season when he wasn't playing so defensively.

146?

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I agree with 9 of your selection, I just don't see what Mavies and Silva bring to the party.

Both have skills, but both fail to deliver in the final third when it matters. Playing them both is too much of a luxury. Feeney is shit, but at least he gets in the box occasionally.

What a load of shit that is. Who would you replace them with then?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:146?

Close. 1.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

What a load of shit that is. Who would you replace them with then?

Feeney and Vela.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:146?

Close. 1.

An armchair supporting guess Laughing

What flavour crayons did you have for lunch today, Scotty?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:What flavour crayons did you have for lunch today, Scotty?

The same flavour you had for breakfast.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Der's more to Bolton dan dis!
We're better than this but players must believe it CHSNvSeWcAAF_Bs

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum