Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Lack of respect" for managers at some clubs with foreign ownership, says Lennon

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon believes there is a “lack of respect” for managers at some clubs currently under foreign ownership.

The Wanderers boss was disappointed to see Uwe Rosler sacked by Leeds United’s Italian owner Massimo Cellino earlier this week, just 12 league games into the new season, and prepares to tackle his successor, Steve Evans, at the Macron Stadium this afternoon.

Lennon reckons the continental approach to hiring and firing is at odds with the game at home and picked out events at Elland Road on Monday as a prime example.

“It's difficult for me to talk about other clubs and how they go about their business,” he told The Bolton News. “Foreign owners see the role of head coach different than as we see it here in England. Is there a lack of respect for the role at some clubs? Yes there is.

“That is very disappointing. It means everything to us. We are football men. It is our livelihood.

“We eat, sleep and drink it. We go through every emotion possible, game after game.

“Uwe is a good football guy. I feel sorry he has lost his job.

“But I think they have made a good appointment in Steve Evans who did remarkably well at Rotherham. I find it disappointing managers get chopped and changed quite a bit at other clubs.”

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that Lennon could find himself under foreign ownership in the not-too-distant future, as Eddie Davies continues his efforts to sell the club.

Dialogue continues with potential investors at home and abroad, with little progress, much to the frustration of a club support and management eager to see Lennon’s side get a much-needed cash boost.

Leicester City, a club dear to Lennon’s heart, have moved on leaps and bounds under Thai ownership in the last five years.

"You have a lot of foreign owners who are very good,” he reasoned. “The guys at Leicester, for example.

“Even when Nigel Pearson was going through a difficult period they stuck with him even if in the end he lost his job. There was real stability there and they ended up staying up having had fantastic run.”

Lennon is also using Leicester’s escape from relegation danger in the Premier League last season as an incentive for his own cause.

The Foxes were rooted to the foot of the division in April with just seven games remaining but managed to fight their way to 14th by mid-May, paving the way for a fine start to the current campaign.

“For me, that's great motivation for Bolton,” he said. “For majority of season Leicester were at the bottom but they were playing well. They weren't getting the results but all of a sudden, they put together a great run towards the end of the season.

“I am hoping we can put a great run earlier than what Leicester did. There is always the scenario you can get out of the trouble you are in.

“It only takes one or two wins and the landscape looks completely different.”

A boyhood Celtic fan, Leeds boss Evans cited Lennon as a “hero” in his press conference yesterday.

And the Wanderers boss has backed him to be a success at Elland Road, despite the obvious difficulties in the role.

“We played Steve's Rotherham last season but with me being in Scotland for such a long period of time, our paths have rarely crossed,” he said. “But he has done remarkably well at clubs; two promotions with Rotherham and kept them up last season. That takes some doing."

Evans has wasted no time stating his intentions at Leeds, targeting top-flight football for the first time in more than a decade at the Yorkshire club.

“I want to be here for years," he said. "I want to be the guy that takes them to the Premier League. I think a lot of players here are good enough for the division but we have conceded too many goals.

“It’s about stepping stones – let’s get into the top half first.”

Leeds could do just that with victory at the Macron and Evans is getting a sense of just how big the job he has taken on really is with the reaction of the Leeds public.

“Every day is a proud day for me here,” he said. “But I must have had about 250 selfies from Leeds fans already! This club is people’s lives.”

Source

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

According to Wikipedia, Evans started off at Wanderers.

He's an irritating fooker on the touchline, and he makes Allardyce look like one of the fit family.

doffcocker wrote:According to Wikipedia, Evans started off at Wanderers.

He's an irritating fooker on the touchline, and he makes Allardyce look like one of the fit family.

Saw that fact revealed on another site today.

Can't be true surely.

I'm not buying it because I was an avid fan back when the fat, ugly prick was supposed to have played for us and I think that I would have remembered it if he had ever graced Burnden Park's hallowed turf.

Me and my mates weren't the most forgiving set of individuals and he must have been a complete "ScottJames" even back then because nobody gets that fat overnight and so there would've been signs.

I don't think he ever played for us and he's a fat Jock liar.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Surely he was only considered for goalie.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
doffcocker wrote:According to Wikipedia, Evans started off at Wanderers.

Saw that fact revealed on another site today.

Can't be true surely.

I'm not buying it because I was an avid fan back when the fat, ugly prick was supposed to have played for us and I think that I would have remembered it if he had ever graced Burnden Park's hallowed turf.

Me and my mates weren't the most forgiving set of individuals and he must have been a complete "ScottJames" even back then because nobody gets that fat overnight and so there would've been signs.

I don't think he ever played for us and he's a fat Jock liar.

Scottjames is in your head, you nasty prick, just read your post again.

No wonder you're a hated man at work, off to the toilet now to have a right good breadman, bye.
Chicken.

Buk buk buk.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum