Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sony says goodbye to Betamax tapes

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sony says goodbye to Betamax tapes Empty Sony says goodbye to Betamax tapes Tue Nov 10 2015, 15:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sony are to cease production of Betamax tapes from March 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34776424

Come on, hands up who still uses Betamax for recording!

Who thought they stopped making them 30 years ago? Very Happy

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:Sony are to cease production of Betamax tapes from March 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34776424

Come on, hands up who still uses Betamax for recording!

Who thought they stopped making them 30 years ago? Very Happy

I Spit On Your Grave was the very first Betamax movie I ever watched. It was banned but we managed to get a copy from a great little video shop on Darwen Road, Bromley Cross.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the first video recorder we had when i was a kid was a betamax, the choice of films was always rubbish compared to VHS. Used to go to a few different shops, Videovision on Halliwell Rd and Videoview (i think?) on Chorley Old Rd. The plan was always to try and get a 15 film out but it didn't always happen  Very Happy

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I never got to try Betamax as I bought a Ferguson Videostar VHS recorder from Colourvision on Blackburn Road. I thought they stopped production of Betamax tapes years ago after VHS cornered the market.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i think betamax was still used by the TV and film industry for years as it was classed as better quality

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i think betamax was still used by the TV and film industry for years as it was classed as better quality
Betamax was made for consumers for distribution of film and tv on the cassettes, the film industry still uses them film reels or at least until recent.

Betamax was the first media format to become available and simply lost the war with VHS as this became more favourable and then became the standard as we know.

Anyone remember the choice a few years back between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray? Very Happy

Last edited by karlypants on Wed Nov 11 2015, 18:08; edited 1 time in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:I never got to try Betamax as I bought a Ferguson Videostar VHS recorder from Colourvision on Blackburn Road. I thought they stopped production of Betamax tapes years ago after VHS cornered the market.
I remember my mum and dad having a Ferguson Videostar when I was a kid and never heard of Betamax until I was a little older.

Colorvision brings back memories! My grandad who lived on the opposite side behind Blackburn Road used to rent a TV from them that always broke down and they had to keep coming over to fix it. Very Happy

He eventually bought one from there when they became a bit more reliable but they we're bloody expensive. Shocked

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's incredible that it lasted so long when you think of all the technology that's come and gone

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

karlypants wrote:
Norpig wrote:i think betamax was still used by the TV and film industry for years as it was classed as better quality
Betamax was made for consumers for distribution of film and tv on the cassettes, the film industry still uses them film reels or at least until recent.

Betamax was the first media format to become available and simply lost the war with VHS as this became more favourable and then became the standard as we know.

Anyone remember the choice a few years back between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray? Very Happy
Actually, VHS just outsold betamax widely, though professionals thought betamax to be superior.  Unfortunately, betamax only held one hour recordings, while vhs held two hours.  That of course, meant a movie could be recorded on the two-hour format.  Game, set and match!

The U.S. Supreme Court became involved during a copyright infringement suit brought by Universal Studios.  Sony did win that case and home recordings would be allowed.  But Sony did not win because they did not understand that people needed two hours to watch their movies.  Betamax also was sold at a premium price compared to VHS.

Later, Sony sold professional betacam tapes to the television industry (not to be confused with betamax)... first in analog form and later in digital form.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum