Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers braced for a pivotal weekend – on and off the pitch

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For the better or worse, this weekend will be a pivotal one in the history of Bolton Wanderers Football Club.

It is entirely possible if a suitable buyer cannot be found over the next few days the financial crisis could worsen, with administration to follow.

Many parties are interested in becoming the new owner – but this really is a time to sort the men from the boys. There is no margin for error.

On the other hand, this could also be the dawning of a new era at Wanderers, and an exciting one at that. There was a glint in Neil Lennon’s eye as he detailed “shoots of recovery” in the takeover process which makes you think there is hope on the horizon and that the worst case scenario can be avoided.

Either way, fans must put the past behind them and turn out to support their team this weekend with as much passion as possible.

Eddie Davies presided over the most successful era in the club’s modern history and if he can pass on that torch to someone with as much enthusiasm to invest in the club as he had when he stepped in to save it in 1999 then his legacy will be secured forever.

Questions must, and will, be asked about the financial decisions that have led us to this point. But tomorrow afternoon is a time to stand together and ensure that in the short term, Wanderers are a viable option for anyone who is looking to invest in the club.

Lennon is acutely aware his team need a level of support that their league position perhaps does not warrant. And the manager – himself a Bolton resident – says he knows improvement is a must across the board.

But speaking to The Bolton News, Lennon believes the hardship the club has faced during his time in charge can be used to the its advantage.

“The fans are very, very proud of the club and something like this can galvanise the town, bring people together,” he said. “People who were maybe a little bit distanced or separated before could come back.

“It works the same for the players as well. I know there is the point of not getting paid but I think that is going to get resolved.

“It’s back to the wall and when it’s back to the wall you come out fighting. I need that from my players and I have to rely on getting that attitude from our fans as well.

“In terms of unity these things can make a phoenix come out of the ashes and that’s what we’re trying to achieve here.”

Whereas a few previous managers have been at odds with the club’s past, Lennon has been keen to embrace it.

The last manager to experience such hardship was Colin Todd – who was forced to sell key players to put the club on an even keel at roughly the time Davies took over.

The current financial situation is worse than it was at the end of the last millennium – with the peaks and troughs much higher in the modern day game.

The appointment of Sam Allardyce ushered in a new era of success, bankrolled by lifelong supporter Davies, and Lennon has not ruled out the possibility of that happening again.

“There’s no question that for years Bolton were punching well above their weight – well, well above. They were great days and I am sure they will come again,” he said.

“It might not be in the next two or three years but what we have to do is build in some sort of stability and stay in the Championship as well.”

In the last few days fans, local, national and international have rallied in support of the club.

Even the fiercely territorial fan-run websites such as BWFC Forum, Lion of Vienna, Burnden Aces, Vital Bolton and Bolton Nuts have joined together in a call for unity.

That has been echoed by others close to the club, including legendary striker John McGinlay – someone who has been fiercely critical of the regime.

“It’s time to put all that aside and turn out,” he told us. “Every bum on every seat will count from here on in.

“If the ownership issue gets sorted, that’s great, you back your team and the next target is getting out of the bottom three.

“The manager needs to be able to buy players next month and if a new owner comes in, that has to be a priority.

“But if it doesn’t get sorted then every penny counts.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum