Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon reveals he could have signed striker Tony Watt before Cardiff City

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon has revealed that he got the opportunity to sign Cardiff goal-scorer Tony Watt, a fortnight before he sunk his Wanderers side at the Macron.

The former Celtic striker, who scored for Lennon as his team famously beat Barcelona 2-1 at Parkhead in 2012, was made available by Charlton Athletic in the loan window.

That coincided with Lennon being told he had no money at all to spend on signings by vice-chairman Brett Warburton, after which the financial meltdown became public at Wanderers.

Watt sent Cardiff on their way to a 3-2 victory and put in a man of the match for the Bluebirds, who go sixth in the Championship.

And his performance left Lennon cursing what might have been had the deal cropped up at a better time for his club.

“I could have had Tony Watt – Charlton offered him to us and we couldn’t afford to pay him,” he told The Bolton News.

“His wages weren’t massive. And if Tony would have been playing on the other side of the pitch today we would have won the game.”

Lennon was left cursing several “easy chances” that were missed by his own side despite twice drawing themselves level through Gary Madine and Dorian Dervite.

“We should have won the game and we’ve missed simple, simple chances. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory,” he complained.

“We had three simple chances to make it 2-1 before half time and then Dobbie has missed one from three yards out.

“We should have had a penalty because Liam Feeney got his legs taken away in the box but we still managed to contrive to lose the game.”

Lennon was also critical of his side’s defending, particularly as Scott Malone restored Cardiff’s lead at 2-1 before Anthony Pilkington finally made the points safe 10 minutes from time.

“We are not doing well enough in either penalty area and it has cost us,” he added.

“The second goal from our point of view is rubbish – people running off people and not tracking their runners. They get a lucky break because I think it’s an own goal.

“We got ourselves back into it, look like we’re going to win, but then miss easy, easy chances and we can’t keep doing that.” 

Source

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think we have enough T Watts. Pity the Warbies couldn't have chucked something into the pot.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollotom2014 wrote:I think we have enough T Watts. Pity the Warbies couldn't have chucked something into the pot.
it made me chuckle when the team came up on the screen  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum