Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon's praise for his young guns

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon hopes the pressure of Wanderers’ current situation can help form a few diamonds from the young gems in his squad.

Though the manager freely admits he would rather be picking a more experienced line-up against MK Dons tomorrow, he thinks the involvement of Rob Holding and Kaiyne Woolery could help establish them in the first-team ranks.

Josh Vela, Zach Clough and Tom Walker became regulars last season and there have also been calls from the Wanderers support to see young strikers Jamie Thomas and Alex Samizadeh given a push from Iain Brunskill’s Under-21 set-up.

Young keeper Harry Campbell was on the bench against Eastleigh in the FA Cup on Tuesday night after Ben Amos picked up a red card at Forest.

And Lennon is well aware that, in the situation Wanderers are in financially, he will have to look at bringing the younger players through quicker.

“This is what it brings, an opportunity for them,” he said. “We have taken a look at Kaiyne in the last few weeks and he’s done well.

“We’ve had Rob Holding in the team, Josh, Zach, and Tom around the fringes so there’s an element of youth running through the squad now.

“We’re having to use academy players a little bit more than I’d like, if I’m honest, but I think the experience is great for them. It will stand them in good stead in their career.”

No-one has rose to prominence quite like Holding, who was loaned out to Bury for first-team exposure last season – only to pick up an injury at Gigg Lane following his one and only appearance against Cambridge United.

The young defender moved from right-back to centre-half on Tuesday night and Lennon admits his versatility is an asset given his squad’s current injury problems.

“Rob’s a good player,” he said. “He can play anywhere across the back line, including left-back and I think he’s got the potential to have a real future in the game.

“He has come into the team at a difficult time but I think he’s been excellent and done everything we’ve asked of him.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum