Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pop music all time low?

+8
TheHateCamel
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
largehat
Banks of the Croal
doffcocker
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I used to be seriously passionate about music, like i would be seriously pissed off if someone slagged off a band i liked.

I would also go in on people who liked bands i thought were shit.

No longer have any passion for it I'm afraid.

What is your passion these days....is it basketball?

22Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:53

largehat wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Christ, what a reaction, clearly you don't enjoy being disagreed with.

Your welcome to your opinion I was merely voicing mine, and in my eyes putting them alongside the Beatles or Pink Floyd is a joke, I'm not telling you not to say it am I? I am allowed to disagree and that's what I did.

Well perhaps if you feel I am welcome to my opinion, and don't like it when people react strongly to your posts, you shouldn't rubbish their views. It's music, nobody likes exactly the same thing. Quite happy to admit I don't like having my views trashed.

Fair enough, I suppose I could of put it differently, I just have a particular dislike for Muse. I would hardly say I 'thrashed' or rubbished your views though, my opinion is that they don't compare to those bands, clearly you disagree. I just think they're overrated by a lot of people.

23Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 16:26

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:I used to be seriously passionate about music, like i would be seriously pissed off if someone slagged off a band i liked.

I would also go in on people who liked bands i thought were shit.

No longer have any passion for it I'm afraid.

What is your passion these days....is it basketball?

always has been always will be.

24Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 16:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I have never been to a basketball match in my life. Used to watch it on TV, but unless the scores were close it just seemed pointless - I never saw a team claw back 10 points or more.

25Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 16:35

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I have never been to a basketball match in my life. Used to watch it on TV, but unless the scores were close it just seemed pointless - I never saw a team claw back 10 points or more.

I won't spoil the music thread but teams come back from that kind of deficit and worse all the time. Sometimes within minutes.

26Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 21:47

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

No, it's not a joke, I happen to have a different opinion than you. If I want to compare any aspect of any band to any other, that's my prerogative.

I actually agree with LH on this one. For me Public Enemy are the greatest band of all time, better than the Beatles, Pink Floyd etc.

People will no doubt mock my stance, but who is someone else to say what music is to me?

Natasha, Public Enemy were the first live band I ever saw. Supported by the Beastie Boys on the Def Jam tour. They are in fact amongst the best bands I've ever seen.
And I'll put "It takes A Nation Of Millions" up against any album you want and prove why it's better.
Except maybe "Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury" by The Disposable Heroes Of Hypocrisy.

27Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 04:58

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

No, it's not a joke, I happen to have a different opinion than you. If I want to compare any aspect of any band to any other, that's my prerogative.

I actually agree with LH on this one. For me Public Enemy are the greatest band of all time, better than the Beatles, Pink Floyd etc.

People will no doubt mock my stance, but who is someone else to say what music is to me?
why don't you just say your favourite band is public enemy rather than make a complete tit of yourself by coming out with an idiotic statement like that .

28Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 05:29

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Nobody makes music like Bob Marley and The Wailers, anymore. Music of revolution, meaning, anthems that galvanised nations and had people of every colour, class and creed singing along. One good thing about music - when it hits, you feel no pain.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

29Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 12:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:why don't you just say your favourite band is public enemy rather than make a complete tit of yourself by coming out with an idiotic statement like that .

Idiotic? I wasn't rubbishing Pink Floyd or The Beatles, both great bands, but for me Public Enemy made better music and were lyrically lightyears ahead of everyone else.

30Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 12:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TheHateCamel wrote:

Natasha, Public Enemy were the first live band I ever saw. Supported by the Beastie Boys on the Def Jam tour. They are in fact amongst the best bands I've ever seen.
And I'll put "It takes A Nation Of Millions" up against any album you want and prove why it's better.
Except maybe "Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury" by The Disposable Heroes Of Hypocrisy.

Wish I'd seen the Def Jam tour, I've heard some great tales. The first time I saw PE was in 1991 on the 'Bring Tha Noise' tour with Anthrax. Since then I've seen them play all around the world.

I love 'It Takes a Nation Of Millions' but my favourite PE album is 'Fear Of a Black Planet'.

31Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 13:42

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

To me music is made up of memories. Like Angry Dad, the 60's were my stamping ground, and I loved all the new groups, the one-hit-wonders, everything. Wasn't at the age, or had the money, to go to live shows, (or gigs), and even now listen to the old songs on Gold Radio. As time has gone on, my interest has waned with the groups, music, what they do, etc. Had to suffer the shit my daughters liked, 'Garage', whatever that was, and some way out black stuff that I didn't understand a bloody word of. My tastes vary quite a bit, from Rhianna, to classical, to pop, etc, but is always rooted in the 60's, a fantastic time of growing up in a world that was changing all the time, and all for the better, unlike today.

32Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 21:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Russ Abbott was very underrated. I'd love to know where he got that jumper from.

https://youtu.be/RFPLk5mJ1D4

33Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 21:41

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

There is some great music around these days

Getting airplay is difficult

34Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 22:01

Lancaster White

Lancaster White
David Ngog
David Ngog

Hi hope you dont mind my making a contribution but being a rock fan the one thing you dont do is watch the X Factor. The only saving grace is the off buton.

35Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Tue Jun 19 2012, 23:21

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Contribute away, LW - that's why we are here.

And to say mean things to other people when they disagree with you. Very Happy

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

36Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Wed Jun 20 2012, 00:45

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:why don't you just say your favourite band is public enemy rather than make a complete tit of yourself by coming out with an idiotic statement like that .

Idiotic? I wasn't rubbishing Pink Floyd or The Beatles, both great bands, but for me Public Enemy made better music and were lyrically lightyears ahead of everyone else.

I will never read a more stupid post than this. A hip hop band are light years ahead of the Beatles. I figured you for a fairly intelligent poster , I will never again take any of your posts seriously. The Beatles have sold over a billion records, they will last forever like Beethoven and Mozart,they are the reason that tommy steel, cliff Richard and the shadows and the like did not continue to flourish. I had a neighbour called russ Conway once he told me he was set to make a fortune then the Beatles came and changed the face of music. They developed like no other group ever they set the benchmark for every one else. To say a hip hop group is light years ahead of them is stupidity beyond belief. I suggest you google the Beatles see where they stand then google public enemy.

37Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Wed Jun 20 2012, 08:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:

I will never read a more stupid post than this. A hip hop band are light years ahead of the Beatles. I figured you for a fairly intelligent poster , I will never again take any of your posts seriously. The Beatles have sold over a billion records, they will last forever like Beethoven and Mozart,they are the reason that tommy steel, cliff Richard and the shadows and the like did not continue to flourish. I had a neighbour called russ Conway once he told me he was set to make a fortune then the Beatles came and changed the face of music. They developed like no other group ever they set the benchmark for every one else. To say a hip hop group is light years ahead of them is stupidity beyond belief. I suggest you google the Beatles see where they stand then google public enemy.[/quote]

I should think Britney Spears has sold a billion records, does that make her the best female singer of all time?

Again, I wasn't putting down the Beatles, just saying I prefer Public Enemy. I doubt for a minute you know anything about PE, so it's pretty pointless me trying to argue my side.

38Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Thu Jun 21 2012, 06:04

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Britney has sold around a hundred million. Does not compare with madonna even. You are not the audience targeted by public enemy .

39Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Sun Jun 24 2012, 15:26

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

largehat wrote:
Angry Dad wrote: I have one band out of the following who I love the rest I like . As a Beatles fanatic I doubt you will guess the one band that kept me interested in music. They are genesis-pink floyd-Peter Gabriel-Kate bush- all great but one was key in bringing me out of my Beatles depression.

I would instinctively guess at the Floyd because of their skill and experimentation, but different strokes and all that...

I get the distinction you made earlier in your post, I do think there is a lot to be said for 70s popular music though. I don't want to get into a mindset where I think that unless I see a drum kit and a couple of guitars in a band they are not very good. I saw Kool and the Gang on the West Holts Stage at Glastonbury last year and it was brilliant fun. Bopping away to 'Get Down On It' and 'That's The Way I Like It', they did a 15 minute version of 'Jungle Boogie'. 70s 'pop' acts like that rightly have a prominent place in history. It;s not musical genius on the level of Lennon or Waters or anyone like that, but there are very few pop songs today like that.

It's not fashionable to like Coldplay but they are immense live. Their first three albums, Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y were superb. The two most recent albums, Viva La Vida and Mylo Xyloto don't have the same edge.

You should give Muse a go, particularly 'Absolution' from 2004. I saw them perform most of that album, in the set I have posted below, and they have that epic, otherworldly feel that the Floyd had at their best, and they rock. Watching that performance up on the hill, it almost brought me to tears to be honest. I think they are the only modern band that have the progressive genius of The Beatles or Floyd.

Oh and a little amateur footage from Jungle Boogie
I don't give a monkeys wether its not cool to like Coldplay LH they are the dogs right now I love em. Talk about different taste I find the early albums dreary and my favs are viva and mylo by miles . My top 5 ever bands are 1. Beatles. 2.Genesis .3 Bee gees.4 Rolling Stones.5.Simon & Garfunkel.--- with Coldplay to keep me happy in the present but I don't see anything else for me when they go.

40Pop music all time low? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Sun Jun 24 2012, 18:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote: 1. Beatles. 2.Genesis .3 Bee gees.4 Rolling Stones.5.Simon & Garfunkel.--- with Coldplay to keep me happy in the present but I don't see anything else for me when they go.

Safe music. Boring and bland. Did you forget Dire Straits?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum