Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maudlin sentiment at football matches.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I'm probably going to get some shit for this, but hey ho.....

We've just had another of those "spontaneous" minute's applause things during the televised Clash of The Inbreds game on Sky.

It was for some poor unfortunate lad who'd tragically had his life cut short through illness.

Awful, terrible, devastating for the family and my heart goes out to them, etc.

But it's happening all the time now.

Where do you draw the line?

Commemorating the lives of club employees with the usual black arm bands and minute's silence is fair enough in my book - there's a direct link and it's correct that they be remembered.

But this new trend for doing it for anybody who basically emails in a request feels a bit too much for me.

But then again, I can never understand why people build (and maintain) those ad hoc roadside shrines to departed loved ones who've been killed in traffic accidents.

You've got a grave for that and anyway, why on earth would you want to commemorate the spot where your relative / friend / some bloke you'd never met but who existed on the outer fringes of your Facebook circle got killed?

That's just odd.

Right, fire away.....

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i suppose it all depends on who's died and the circumstances but you're right Breaders there are too many of these now at games.

Not a fan of roadside shrines either, i know people grieve in different ways but i wouldn't do it. There is one near me on a tree which a girl unfortunately hit when she was in a accident and is always well maintained but what kind of closure (sorry very American i know) do you get from constantly reminding yourself about where they actually died?

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I used to live in Windsor and drove back until fairly recently...there was a roadside shrine on the slip road down from the motorway, and it has been there for 9 years to my certain knowledge, always kept up with fresh flowers. It depresses me enormously, as I wonder at what stage it will stop, and how whoever is doing this will feel at that time...guilt for "forgetting" the person? When health, finances or death make it stop, it will have been going too long.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I think you're right Amanda. After a while it becomes an obligation, with the thought that if it wasn't, then there is some discourtesy being paid.
I have often wondered where people park, when they administer these sites. Surely the roads are dangerous.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum