Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holding on to young star Rob is key for Bolton Wanderers – John McGinlay

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Wanderers are to take anything positive from a wretched season in the Championship, the rise of Rob Holding must surely be a strong candidate.

Tagged as a future captain of the club, the academy graduate has appeared from almost nowhere to command a regular place in Neil Lennon’s side in the second half of the campaign.

The Whites have a one-year option on the defender’s contract but with new ownership now in place, they hope to secure him for longer.

And ensuring his future remains at the Macron should be made a matter of priority according to strike legend John McGinlay, who has been impressed with the 20-year-old’s maturity since breaking into the side on a regular basis in December.

“Since he came into the team he has probably been our most consistent player,” he said. “He’s composed, he reads the game well, he can pass the ball; nothing fazes him.

“No matter what happens this season I think it would be a great statement from the new owners to offer him a long-term contract and say ‘stay with us, and we’ll make you captain.’

“He is the future of this football club, no question.”

Holding has come a long way since making his Wanderers debut in the Capital One Cup defeat to Burton Albion in August, then his first league start four days later in a 3-0 walloping at Middlesbrough.

He came back into the side as part of a three-man central defence at Hull City just before Christmas and has since made 21 consecutive starts.

Blooding youth could now become a necessity for the club if they drop into League One and have to adjust finances accordingly.

Speaking last week, new owner Dean Holdsworth admitted a strong home-grown presence in the first team was one of his longer-term aims.

“I want to be able to bring local players through and have a brand at the club,” he said.

“Rob Holding is a player I've watched and I think he's a potential captain of the football club. He has the potential to go to the Premier League from what I've seen, I think he's a great prospect for us.

“There are quite a number of young players around the first-team squad who, if they carry on with their development, have got a good future in the game.

“We want to build a platform for players to come through and be recognised that players will come into the youth system and be given a chance to realise their dreams that they can actually play for the first team.

“Local players and young lads coming through, it's great for the area. I think we've got a good number come through so far, which is great, and if we can maintain that it'll be good for the club.”

With nine games remaining and relegation looking a distinct possibility there is a growing clamour for Lennon to bring more youngsters into side to begin planning for next season.

Whether the Northern Irishman would get the opportunity to reap the rewards is up for debate but after the 2-1 home defeat against Preston North End on Saturday he expressed concern that his side “lacked experience”.

The manager’s most experienced defender David Wheater is now back in the frame after recovering from a hamstring injury but restoring him to the side would break apart a partnership between Holding and Derik Osede that has shown some promise in recent weeks.

“I have been really happy with them,” Lennon said in the run-up to the Preston game. “They are comfortable on the ball and their mobility is excellent.

“They have defended pretty well in the main and they are establishing a decent little partnership.”

We will find out at Bristol City this weekend whether the Preston defeat has tempered his enthusiasm towards the Holding-Derik partnership.

To bring Wheater back into the side at this stage may depend on just how much Lennon believes he can save this season. The experienced defender is out of contract in the summer and unlikely to be offered another deal at the same terms he signed three years ago.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum