Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another greedy money grabbing player?

+2
karlypants
Sluffy
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Another greedy money grabbing player? Empty Another greedy money grabbing player? Tue Mar 22 2016, 17:19

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Jonas Gutierrez now playing in Spain but formerly of Newcastle is currently in an employment tribunal trying to claim a further £2 million from the magpies.

Unfortunately whilst at Newcastle Gutierrez got testicular cancer and was out of action for over a year but did recover enough to play a few further games before the end of his four year contract.

He his complaining though that Newcastle deliberately did not play him a few more times which would have activated a further years contract for him - he says Newcastle discriminated against him on disability grounds.

Now I myself would have been grateful to have received a full years pay (I estimate something over £3 million!) for being in my sick bed getting better and finding myself a decent team to continue my career in Spain.  

Gutierrez is already a millionaire many times over and I guess his claimed amount would be the difference in salary he would have got at Newcastle rather than his Spanish club.

Why did he think he had a right to go straight back into a Newcastle team after a year out of it even if he was fit - maybe the manager (Pardew I believe) didn't want to change the team about just to please him?

Just seems like another player who wants every last penny he can although he is already richer than probably 99.99% of all the Newcastle United fans who follow the club or indeed 99.99% of fans of any other club.

Just seems like pure greed to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35872542

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What a prick!

I hope he loses and ends up with all the court costs!

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I very much doubt Gutierrez is a multi millionaire

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Boggersbelief wrote:I very much doubt Gutierrez is a multi millionaire

Argentinian international who has played 28 games for his country, signed (for a reported 15 million euros at a tribunal) from Mallorca who he played for, for three years, who famously had been paying astronomical wages to their star players (of whom Gutierrez was one) and had run into financial difficulties (the club declared bankruptcy a couple of seasons later), played for seven years for Newcastle (one of which when they were relegated for a season) and now playing in La Liga with Deportivo.

If he is not a multi millionaire by now he certainly needs to sack his agent!

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was being paid £40 grand a week throughout the whole time he was recovering and recuperating so I really don't see how he has a case to answer. It's not as if Newcastle failed to pay him.  scratch

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:He was being paid £40 grand a week throughout the whole time he was recovering and recuperating so I really don't see how he has a case to answer. It's not as if Newcastle failed to pay him.  scratch
This is what got me RT.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have been reading about his case and he is apparently claiming £2 million in damages from Newcastle. When cross examined he claimed it wasn't about the money but the fact that his feelings were hurt by the way he was treated by the Newcastle board. Alan Pardew was the manager at the time and he told Jonas that his contract wasn't being renewed because his hands were tied by the board. Pardew is expected to be called as a witness so it will be interesting to see what he has to say since he was also drummed out of the club as well.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TBF Gutierrez has a point if the manager actually said that the club were manipulating his appearances in order to prevent his contract from being renewed.

Imagine having sales targets to meet as a condition of employment and then being told by your manager that you weren't allowed to make calls or visit potential clients - that's constructive dismissal in my book.

Wonder if Jay Spearing is following this?

Another thing. We have to accept that players contracts are worth millions in the modern game. That doesn't necessarily make them greedy and money-grabbing. They and their agents are just doing their respective jobs and if a club is offering the money, what is wrong with accepting it? If they don't somebody else will.

Gutierrez may come across as being a bit precious about this, but he has a point and I suspect it's his agent and legal team that are behind the court action anyway - because that's THEIR job i.e. to maximise their clients' (Gutierrez) income.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

That contrast works both ways though.  
If they decided that they didn't want to keep him, at their loss, then they penalise themselves by not using him while under contract.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum