Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Derek Osede can muscle in at centre-half

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers interim manager Jimmy Phillips is confident Derik Osede can answer the call at centre-back at Brentford tonight.

The young Spaniard is likely to drop into the heart of the defence in place of the suspended Rob Holding after the club opted against appealing the latter’s red card against Reading.

And after filling in on Saturday after starting the game in a more advanced holding midfield role, Phillips believes Osede will prove a more-than able deputy.

The Whites interim boss told The Bolton News: “Derik came to the club as a centre-back but I sat him in front of the back four on Saturday thinking he might have given us a bit more defensive stability as he is a good ball-playing centre-back.

“When he dropped in for Rob he played well.

“He’s a player I think is still getting used to the English game.

“I believe he has put on five kilos of muscle since he joined so he is adapting physically to the demands of the Championship.

“He reads the game well and if he fills in again at the back against Brentford there will be no problems whatsoever.”

Wanderers had initially considered appealing Holding’s sending off but after reviewing the footage, Phillips conceded it may not be a worthwhile venture.

He said: “I spoke with Simon Marland and I am guided by him really because he has been through this process many times before.

“It would appear if there is any doubt in the minds of the people you appeal to then they just side with the referee.

“From the video evidence I’ve seen it is not clear either way.

“On the day at the time it looked like Rob had clearly played the ball because it changed direction to where he intended to put it.

“Whether he played the man first it is still unclear from the video.”

Holding could be joined on the sidelines in west London by Stephen Dobbie with Wanderers waiting to see if he will recover from the head injury that forced him off early against Reading.

Aside from that, Phillips is not expecting any more returnees from the treatment room to face the Bees.

He added: “The blow to the head is still affecting Stephen Dobbie so we will check him out today.

“There are no other new injuries and it doesn’t look like anybody is going to be back at Brentford.

“Gary Madine is still very doubtful so it is going to be roughly the same squad of players.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum