Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lee Clark (the one with the 43 match unbeaten run) for manager - Worth a punt?

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Gone to Birmingham!

Birmingham City have appointed Lee Clark as their new manager.

Newcastle-born Clark, 39, was unveiled by last season's Championship play-off semi-finalists at St Andrew's.

Four months on from his shock Huddersfield sacking, Clark knows the size of the task that awaits him at financially-troubled Blues who are still under a transfer embargo.

"There are restrictions with the embargo but there's nothing been hidden from me," Clark told BBC WM.

Clark succeeds Chris Hughton, who was subject to the same restrictions last season, before resigning earlier this month to take charge of Premier League Norwich City.

But, after two rounds of talks with Blues acting chairman Peter Pannu, Clark felt sufficiently reassured about the club's much-debated financial state.

And, despite the loss of Jordon Mutch to Cardiff City and the impending expected departure of Ben Foster to neighbours West Bromwich Albion, he is confident that his existing squad is good enough to compete.

And he reiterated Pannu's stance on Tuesday that it would take only "crazy bids" for Blues to lose either of their two main prize assets Nathan Redmond and England's third choice Euro 2012 keeper Jack Butland.

"After dialogue with Peter and the board, I know where I'm going," he added. "And I feel very positive.

"I know the market but I know the ones I've already got are a fantastic group of players.

"I've got experience combined with a good crop of youngsters. And I'm looking to create the same atmosphere Chris Hughton had about the place.

"I'm hoping that we can carry on that momentum from last season and just get that little bit of luck you need to get over the line."

The former Newcastle United, Sunderland and Fulham midfielder was seen as a bright young managerial talent for most of his years in charge at the Galpharm Stadium.

After cutting his teeth in coaching under Glenn Roeder, first at Newcastle, then at Norwich, Clark brought in experienced duo Terry McDermott and Derek Fazackerley as his backroom team when he took over at Huddersfield.

He guided the Terriers to third place in League One in the 2010-11 season and, although they lost to Peterborough United in the play-off final, he was rewarded with a new rolling contract.

They began last season in the same form, Clark's Terriers eventually extending their unbeaten league run to a record 43 matches between January and November 2011.

With his team still fourth in League One, eyebrows were raised when he was sacked in February following a 1-0 home defeat by Sheffield United.

But the change in leadership ultimately paid off as the Terriers went on to win promotion to the Championship in May.

Clark is set for an early season encounter with the Terriers, who are due to visit St Andrew's on 6 October.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

He would have been one of my choices if Coyle had left, which didn't happen.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The guy can't even control his own kids!

AND FINALLY...

Birmingham City were left red-faced after news of Lee Clark's appointment as manager was leaked on the internet - by his children.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum