Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Managerial merry-go-round shifts Wanderers search again

+6
King Bill
Natasha Whittam
terenceanne
finlaymcdanger
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The managerial merry-go-round has altered the landscape for Wanderers once again – with one-in, and one-out of the race for the Macron post.

Chris Powell withdrew his application after being confirmed as Nigel Pearson’s new assistant manager at Derby County.

Pearson was appointed at the iPro Stadium yesterday and that is where Powell will be next season as his number two.

The former Charlton and Huddersfield boss had an official interview at Wanderers on Monday afternoon.

He may have dropped out but a new name has emerged overnight as Brian McDermott – sacked only yesterday by Reading – is now under consideration by the Wanderers owners.

The 55-year-old’s second spell with the Royals ended unhappily after just six months but his representatives have already been in touch with the Whites and he could now be interviewed in the next week.

McDermott, who also managed Leeds, became the 56th manager dismissed in the Football League this season yesterday.

Two other managers – both currently employed by clubs – are also in the running, one of which is believed to be Leeds United’s Steve Evans.

Both men are expected to become available in the foreseeable future which means they can hold talks without the need for compensation.

Alan Stubbs, who was being very strongly considered for a return to the club where he made more than 250 appearances, may now join Rotherham United from Hibs.

The former Burnden Park defender has been on Wanderers’ shortlist for some time and is rated highly by the joint ownership.

But the Whites are now favouring someone with experience at League One level and promotions on their CV.

Rotherham have now approached Hibs to speak with Stubbs, who has one year remaining on his contract and would also command a fee.

Steve Cotterill and Nigel Adkins remain very much at the front of the queue for Wanderers, knowing they have already discussed future plans in detail.

Both men are said to have a good working knowledge of the squad they will inherit.

But the involvement of more names could now drag the decision out beyond next week.

Source

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We won't see anyone in the manager's chair until about a week before the season starts because in my honest opinion Ken is trying to avoid having to pay any more wages until he absolutely has to.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:We won't see anyone in the manager's chair until about a week before the season starts because in my honest opinion Ken is trying to avoid having to pay any more wages until he absolutely has to.

100% agree. That's exactly what's going on.

I said something similar yesterday when it came out that he's faffing about trying to buy back (with someone else's money) the bits Eddie Davies sold off cheap.

Whatever your opinion is on the reasons why Anderson hasn't pumped his own personal money in yet (unlikely he ever will in my view), it all strongly suggests that he's not in this for the long haul.

The fact that he openly stated that he was willing to flog his share of the club after only 3 weeks is another bit of a give away too.

It all looks like his plan is to put nothing in, try and make a few bob out of the assets and then disappear into the night with a slight personal profit.

And if the rumours are true, this is clearly at odds with Holdsworth's plans for the club.

(Not that I trust him either, if I'm honest. I don't care how anyone tries to re-write history, Collins was his partner at Sports Shield when the company was set up and he's now in prison for fraud. Draw your own conclusions.)

It's a mess and I can only see it getting (considerably) worse.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

It's just a game of musical chairs .....  whoever doesn't have a job when the music stops will be the manager. The people that are interviewing just put their name in because they need a job....then when anybody else offers a paycheck.....gone to that club........furthermore I don't blame them.  They have families and mortgages also.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:We won't see anyone in the manager's chair until about a week before the season starts.

Want to bet on that?

Put your money where your mouth is for a change you negative tosser.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've been offering you a bet for months or has your selective memory played with your singed fanny again?

What's negative about my post anyway? It's clear Ken is fighting to keep costs as low as possible and has no real interest in getting the embargo lifted at this point in time. Therefore, in Ken's thinking we don't need a manager just yet so why pay a wage you don't have to?

As to a bet, shut up until you put up. Answer the one I've been offering about Peter Reid being named as manager for over six weeks and don't try to be clever with me again bellend!

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Breadman wrote:I said something similar yesterday when it came out that he's faffing about trying to buy back (with someone else's money) the bits Eddie Davies sold off cheap.

Whatever your opinion is on the reasons why Anderson hasn't pumped his own personal money in yet (unlikely he ever will in my view), it all strongly suggests that he's not in this for the long haul.

The fact that he openly stated that he was willing to flog his share of the club after only 3 weeks is another bit of a give away too.

It all looks like his plan is to put nothing in, try and make a few bob out of the assets and then disappear into the night with a slight personal profit.

And if the rumours are true, this is clearly at odds with Holdsworth's plans for the club.

(Not that I trust him either, if I'm honest. I don't care how anyone tries to re-write history, Collins was his partner at Sports Shield when the company was set up and he's now in prison for fraud. Draw your own conclusions.)

It's a mess and I can only see it getting (considerably) worse.
Agreed. When you start to anyalyse the initial deal to buy the club and KA's subsequent actions it doesn't make for good reading.

Whatever revenue streams the club offers, it will be difficult to turn a profit. The wage bill and stadium running costs are always going to be immense. 

Without investment, and we are talking serious coin, the club will continue to struggle financially. 

The owners need to be questioned, they got the club on the cheap, if investment is not forthcoming, then as has been said, things could get even worse.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Why should the owners be questioned?

Simple question.

If you have no shares in the business what gives you or anybody else the right to ask the owner financial questions.

Yes if you are doing big business with them and they are your supplier or tendering for one of your contracts, then you need to know they are financially secure.

If you are the football league you need to know the clubs in your league can complete the forthcoming season but why should any punter off the street have any right whatsoever to question the owner of a business about its financial circumstances?

Do you want to know the financial position of your local chippy, or petrol station, or cinema?  

Will you stop buying your groceries at Tesco's, or Asda, or Morrisons unless you see their latest balance sheet?.  

Would you stop going to your barber, or local gym, or dentist unless you knew their cash flow situation?

So why would any fan no matter how nuts he is about the team have any rights to know the owners financial situation?

The League has given them a licence to play for next season based on their financial checks on the club.

As anybody asked to see the Leagues financial position - if not why not!

If the League (who has to sort out all the shit if anything really did go wrong) has satisfied itself about the clubs financial position then its fuck all else to do with anyone else surely (apart from the taxman obviously and even he can't simply ask questions of them without having a reason for doing so!)?

Nat / Biggie,

He's properly lost it now - Time to take over the day to day shit.

The same man who rants so extensively (and so often) about the ST's attempts to take control of the club is now lecturing the masses on why they should keep their noses out of the running of the club.

Perhaps things would be different if Mike Smith was a mate of Anderson's......

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Well then why don't you tell us all about your financial position then - what are your assets, what cash have you in the bank and in investments, what is in your pension pot.  What debts do you have, what is outstanding on your credit cards?

Why should I need to know your details - I don't - they are your business not mine.

BWFC is Holdsworth and Anderson's business - they've passed the Football League scrutiny and complied so far with any legal obligations made at court - so what business is it of some punter who pays his money twenty odd times a year to be entertained at the game?

Simple question.

It's all Coyle's fault - Thanks Owen.

Him and that Smith bloke......obviously.

You having a bad time at home at the mo or what?

I ask that as an internet friend. (The best kind there is.)

Because you've posted some proper ranty bollocks recently and I'm a tad concerned that you've gone full-on mentalist.

Come on......let it out, mate.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm guessing you don't have an answer then.

I'm sure somone must do though as there seems to be an awful lot of people asking the question.

Somebody must know.

You proper hate Chris Manning, don't you?

This, despite not taking the internet seriously.

Thanks Owen.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I don't hate anybody mate.

Not even those who try so very hard to wind me up.

At the risk of being a lapdog/golden child/up sluffys arse etc ka and dh need to be given time.  The st leaked a story saying THEY sent a letter to the football league saying ken hadnt put the 2.5 mill in he said he would and players/staff would go unnpaid.  Ken came straight out and said he hasnt needed to put it in yet as he didnt need to and the staff still got paid.

Im sure the FL would be down on them like a ton of bricks if they was already on the fiddle.  Conjecture i know as the FL may not give a shit but isnt everything conjecture at this moment in time.

The ST arent doing themselves any favours.  Like a lot of people here i would be a fan of a properly run ST and hopefully it is just teething problems they are going through, but mud slinging is not going to win them many fans or trust with the current set up.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

My feeling is simple and has been the same since the takeover. Ken and Dean basically emptied their bank accounts etc to do it. Ever since then they've been cutting costs (at Ken's behest because he's the businessman) for one of two possible reasons that I can see.

One: Ken is after a fast profit, it doesn't need to be massive but he wants to make something quickly and the best way to do that is to make the club as attractive as possible to a potential buyer by showing costs that are significantly less than revenue.

Two: Ken feels we won't get the extra investment he said he was seeking a few weeks ago and as a result needs to cut the costs because he doesn't have the money to run the club beyond next season and it has to generate some sort of profit or go down the pan.

I don't know anything concrete, I'm only giving my own opinion as to what might be happening but the delay in picking a new manager and in getting the embargo lifted would fit the second scenario in particular. If Ken and Dean can't afford to strengthen the squad then there's no real reason to hurry with the embargo from a purely financial viewpoint and that means there's less urgency in selecting a manager. Why pay a wage now when the players we have and are going to have to go into next season with aren't even here yet? As I understand it they're on holiday right now so there's no one at the ground for a new manager to train/assess etc anyway.

I do think it's a miscalculation if I'm right. The embargo is a definite negative to how we are perceived, especially as it's been in place so long. And the contradictory statements that have surrounded the managerial question since Lennon left are making Ken and Dean look more incompetent by the day.

I wish someone, anyone would simply come out with a straight answer to the questions of the embargo and the manager. I don't need to see private bank statements, just a general overview of what the real situation is and what we can realistically expect to see happening over the summer would for me be a big step in the right direction.

Bang out of order with '74 earlier.

All he did was take an opposing stance to yours on the ST thing and you went off on one, calling him a wum and suggesting that that was his raison d'etre.

(After he'd done nothing more than ask why he'd been called a cunt by someone else.)

As a grown-up and the main man on here, you should know better.

You've always posted in a calmly, measured way in the past but recently you've gone a bit odd - There, I've said it!

Something's changed.

I'm not here to wind anybody up - I'm a Bolton fan and I love being able to voice my opinion on here and you've always been a reassuring constant in the background on here but recently you've gone a bit weird.

And that concerns me because Nuts needs a normal Sluffy to keep us all in line and maintain order.

If you lose it, we're all fucked and we might as well shut up shop tomorrow because Nat can't be trusted (for obvious, well documented reasons)and Russ doesn't give a shit.

Pull your head out of your arse.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Still not got an answer yet.

I thought is was such a simple question too.

Thanks for the concern over my mental health though.

Managerial merry-go-round shifts Wanderers search again Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue

Go to bed......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum