Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should everybody vote?

+4
wanderlust
whatsgoingon
luckyPeterpiper
doffcocker
8 posters

Should you always vote, even if you're thick?

Should everybody vote? Vote_lcap14%Should everybody vote? Vote_rcap 14% [ 1 ]
Should everybody vote? Vote_lcap86%Should everybody vote? Vote_rcap 86% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Should everybody vote? Empty Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 09:02

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

One thing that always fascinates me is how angry people get over those that don't vote, followed by the mad reaction when we get a fooking stupid result.

Now I'm in no way linking this to the news that we're all waking up to this morning. It's just pure coincidence that I'm starting this thread now.

But let's be honest, how different - for better or worse - would the results be if they solely reflected what people who actually understand politics, economics etc thought?

So come on. Is it really for the greater good, as so many people like to have us believe, that everybody gets involved and gets up off their arse to go and vote? Or would it actually be better if the know nowts just stayed at home and left it for everybody else to sort out?

Here's an idea. Let's vote on it.

2Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 09:25

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think this question is a good one but is best answered in two parts.

First, there should not be anybody who's ignorant of the issues. Nothing is as important to a working democracy as a well informed electorate and it's the job of both political parties and the news media to ensure that the electorate has the information it needs to make an informed decision. In that regard both politicians and journalists have been failing this country for years.

Secondly, I think part of the democratic process has to be the right to choose NOT to vote but I'd say the best way to accomplish that would be to put a box marked "Abstain" on every ballot paper etc. I don't think you can legislate to force people to attend a polling station or send in a postal vote etc but I'd strongly encourage everyone to do it even if they voted "Abstain" if only so we'd know how everybody really felt on an issue. If a majority comes back for Abstain hold the vote again and make sure those who couldn't make their mind up the first time have the information they need to decide one way or the other this time around.

3Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 09:33

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Yes because that isn't a referendum and isn't democratic it's more like a quango of select elite making the decision. It is a decision that effects everyone and one thing the people you suggested have in common is that they are smart enough to understand politics, economics etc they are also smart enough to vote exactly how best to serve themselves.
Funnily enough the movie Brewster's Millions came to mind this morning and when he was looking for a way to waste millions quickly he started what was meant to be a joke campaign to vote for none of the above.
But it quickly turned into a political statement where a vote for none of the above represented peoples dissatisfaction for the current political status quo and the people involved in it, there is a certain amount of that in this in my opinion where people have voted for something where they are not sure what it is but they just know it isn't this what we currently have.

4Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 09:35

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I think this question is a good one but is best answered in two parts.

First, there should not be anybody who's ignorant of the issues. Nothing is as important to a working democracy as a well informed electorate and it's the job of both political parties and the news media to ensure that the electorate has the information it needs to make an informed decision. In that regard both politicians and journalists have been failing this country for years.

Secondly, I think part of the democratic process has to be the right to choose NOT to vote but I'd say the best way to accomplish that would be to put a box marked "Abstain" on every ballot paper etc. I don't think you can legislate to force people to attend a polling station or send in a postal vote etc but I'd strongly encourage everyone to do it even if they voted "Abstain" if only so we'd know how everybody really felt on an issue. If a majority comes back for Abstain hold the vote again and make sure those who couldn't make their mind up the first time have the information they need to decide one way or the other this time around.
I think we make a similar point

5Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 09:57

What yesterday proved is that if you made voting in all elections compulsory, we'd wind up with politicians of all hues pandering to the lowest common denominator mentality even more than they do now.

If we'd have applied this rule at the last GE, Farage would be PM now.

And that can't be a good thing.

6Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 12:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:What yesterday proved is that if you made voting in all elections compulsory, we'd wind up with politicians of all hues pandering to the lowest common denominator mentality even more than they do now.

Voting is compulsory is many countries and there is a correlation between compulsory voting and social equality in terms of income distribution as measured by the Gini Coefficient.

7Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 13:17

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

everyone should vote, it's a cornerstone of democracy, whether people are intelligent enough to understand what they are actually doing is another thing.

I've heard a lot of people say that a decision such as Brexit shouldn't have been left to the general public to decide but with a decision that will affect everyone it had to be a referendum i think.

Its been decided now and we just have to get on with it.

8Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 13:26

wanderlust wrote:
Breadman wrote:What yesterday proved is that if you made voting in all elections compulsory, we'd wind up with politicians of all hues pandering to the lowest common denominator mentality even more than they do now.

Voting is compulsory is many countries and there is a correlation between compulsory voting and social equality in terms of income distribution as measured by the Gini Coefficient.

All well and good but if your GDP plummets because nobody will trade with you and your standard of living is universally shite as a direct result, it doesn't matter how close to zero your Gini Coefficient is.....an equal share of fuck all is still fuck all.

9Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Fri Jun 24 2016, 14:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

All well and good but if your GDP plummets because nobody will trade with you and your standard of living is universally shite as a direct result, it doesn't matter how close to zero your Gini Coefficient is.....an equal share of fuck all is still fuck all.

I didn't say that it was a good or bad thing Bread - just that it suggests an effect on the economy. Or perhaps it means that by forcing the people at the lower end of the social scale to be politically and financially aware, they are bettering themselves? Either way it's the difference between having a right and a duty.

BTW Australia is one of the countries with compulsory voting and their GDP is holding up so far.

10Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Sat Jun 25 2016, 15:17

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

By forcing people to vote you take away a democratic right.
)

11Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Sat Jun 25 2016, 15:31

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Not if they don't want to.

12Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Sat Jun 25 2016, 15:36

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Lard Lad wrote:Not if they don't want to.

Eh ? Is that for me? if it is, then I think were saying the same thing..

Its a democratic right not to vote.

13Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Sat Jun 25 2016, 15:43

gloswhite wrote:
Lard Lad wrote:Not if they don't want to.

Eh ? Is that for me? if it is, then I think were saying the same thing..

Its a democratic right not to vote.

You could always spoil your paper.

I've done that in the Locals a few times, knowing full well that the person I was writing abuse about had to read it and verify that it was spoiled. (Spoilt...?)

Very satisfying.

14Should everybody vote? Empty Re: Should everybody vote? Sat Jun 25 2016, 15:48

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

People should have the choice to vote. It was a freedom from years ago that was fought for. It should not be mandatory as that points to dictatorial rules. On the other hand, the pollies should lay out clearly what they are about so that people who aren't accountants/lawyers/business persons/RAF Officers know enough to make an informed decisions. Powerpoint/Excel spreadsheets and pictorial what-ifs are not what the average voter wants to see or hear. It is what effects will it have on him. Elections are still one of the "Dark arts" as has been more than illuminated in the referendum. Perhaps blatant lying should be similar to fraud and punishable as such.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum