Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Norwich City transfer rumours: Bolton’s Zach Clough touted with £1.5m move

+5
Norpig
observer
Bwfc1958
whatsgoingon
Sluffy
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norwich City have been linked with a £1.5m swoop for Bolton’s attacking midfielder Zach Clough.

Reports in the north-west on Tuesday afternoon claim the 21-year-old could become Alex Neil’s first new signing of the summer, with Clough poised for a medical after City had a £1.5m bid accepted for the highly-rated Bolton academy product.

Wanderers official Twitter account, however, carried pictures of the Bolton first team squad, including Clough, training earlier on Tuesday.

Clough has also been linked with City’s Championship rivals Wigan and Reading this summer after scoring seven goals in 29 appearances for the Trotters last season, who were relegated to League One after major financial turmoil that saw ex-boss Neil Lennon depart and former Bolton striker Dean Holdsworth front a consortium to take over the club.

Clough has notched 13 goals in 39 career outings for the former Premier League outfit but is reportedly out of contract in 2017.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich_city_transfer_rumours_bolton_s_zach_clough_touted_with_1_5m_move_1_4595213

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There would need to be bonuses and sell on percentage,

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Anywhere but Wigan or Blackburn and I'll bear no grudge.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

That's a steal for Clough. Better to keep him and move up to the Championship.  1.5 won't buy us much unless the management is broke.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:That's a steal for Clough. Better to keep him and move up to the Championship.  1.5 won't buy us much unless the management is broke.
 think you've answered your own question there obs

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:
observer wrote:That's a steal for Clough. Better to keep him and move up to the Championship.  1.5 won't buy us much unless the management is broke.
 think you've answered your own question there obs
Rhetorical question, but it does answer that question, doesn't it!

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nothing in this rumour

If we could actually spend the 1.5 mill it could buy a couple of decent players for league 1.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I'm 50/50 on Clough.  I have a horrible suspicion that he may be a flash in the pan much as the on-going Mavies / Clayton situations.
I think a season in leagues One will determine if he is all that is cracked up to be....should we hold on to him that is.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

He's got to be worth more than 1.5 mil though. Frankly I wouldn't even consider anything less than 5 mil upfront plus substantial add ons and I'd prefer a straight 7-8 million for him. I realise we're not in a hugely powerful bargaining position but this is way too low for one of our better players who still has plenty of potential.

I understand terrence's fear about him but I think we should definitely do what we can to hang onto Clough and if we can't then get maximum cash for him, preferably without the add on's that depend on him making x appearances and getting an England cap etc. They can be useful if they pan out but how often do they really work that way?

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:He's got to be worth more than 1.5 mil though. Frankly I wouldn't even consider anything less than 5 mil upfront plus substantial add ons and I'd prefer a straight 7-8 million for him. I realise we're not in a hugely powerful bargaining position but this is way too low for one of our better players who still has plenty of potential.

I understand terrence's fear about him but I think we should definitely do what we can to hang onto Clough and if we can't then get maximum cash for him, preferably without the add on's that depend on him making x appearances and getting an England cap etc. They can be useful if they pan out but how often do they really work that way?
I'm afraid I disagree there but admire you're loyalty, when he came on the scene and looked the business that is the type of value I would have placed on him too.
Unfortunately since then he's been injured several times, never got anywhere near those standards since and was anonymous for most of the second half of last season with the exception of glimpses of talent.
The best we can hope for in our position is maybe 1.5 - 2m upfront but with bonuses but more importantly a heavy resell clause, 30-50% of any profit in case he does fulfil his potential.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:He's got to be worth more than 1.5 mil though. Frankly I wouldn't even consider anything less than 5 mil upfront plus substantial add ons and I'd prefer a straight 7-8 million for him. I realise we're not in a hugely powerful bargaining position but this is way too low for one of our better players who still has plenty of potential.

I'm afraid I disagree there but admire you're loyalty, when he came on the scene and looked the business that is the type of value I would have placed on him too.
Unfortunately since then he's been injured several times, never got anywhere near those standards since and was anonymous for most of the second half of last season with the exception of glimpses of talent.
The best we can hope for in our position is maybe 1.5 - 2m upfront but with bonuses but more importantly a heavy resell clause, 30-50% of any profit in case he does fulfil his potential.
He isn't that good a striker when he has chances, but worse still he's pretty useless at other times especially when we're out of possession - easily pushed off the ball, can't tackle, doesn't press enough, mediocre pace, and hasn't got much vision when it comes to looking for a teammate - so I'd get rid and at £1.5 million I'd snatch their hands off right now.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Look guys, I know 7-8 million might be a tad over the top (just a teensy weensy bit) Smile

But in truth I think 5 million is a realistic asking price for a promising English striker in this day and age and the offer of 1.5 million is stupidly low given his ability.

And Norwich must be daft if they think we'd go for it when we've already reportedly turned down a similar sort of "structured" deal from Arsenal.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm hoping this is where KA is going to be much better than Gartside or any Bolton chairman for as long as I can remember, and be a tough negotiator where in the past we've just bent down and taken it

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum